Dish Said to Plan Blockbuster Rival to Netflix

Interesting! Wonder if you will be able to watch streaming movies from your Dish receiver. Think about it. Google might buy out Hulu, so with Google TV, Dish is looking pretty good right now. Dish made a lot of people happy with adding MLB Network. Now they just need to come with agreement with Disney/ESPN.

The business news is reporting that Starz refused to renew contract with Netflix and Netflix took a market hit today.

Let the streaming wars begin.

I just signed up for blockbuster.com w/ a 30day trial just now and from what I've seen I don't think i'll be keeping it after 30 days unless the streaming has different content than NetFlix. (which i bet alot of it will mirror netflix's catalog) A lot of the movies have a long wait, short wait or unavailable.

Attachments

• blockbusterqueue.JPG
    blockbusterqueue.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 352
The two big questions that jump out to me are:

1. How much will it cost?

2. Will existing Dish Network customers get a bundling discount if they subscribe to the streaming service?

The day my 722 has the same abilities as my Roku, only then will dish gain my respect & loyalty. Besides according to this article they've not even set a price yet. What if their fee is $25 a month for this new service. The hoopla flags will be half mast for sure............

I am thinking they they might bundle it into their mail order plan or maybe a $5 addon to the mail order plan or something to keep it below NetFlix's price ranges to attract the people NetFlix upset over their 60% price increase.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The day my 722 has the same abilities as my Roku, only then will dish gain my respect & loyalty. Besides according to this article they've not even set a price yet. What if their fee is $25 a month for this new service. The hoopla flags will be half mast for sure............

So let me get this straight, you want more than you contracted for to give "respect and loyalty"? Yeh, yeh, yeh,

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So let me get this straight, you want more than you contracted for to give "respect and loyalty"? Yeh, yeh, yeh,

Outside of Netflix my Roku doesn't cost me a thing other than a broadband connection to it. The other apps and pvt channels are free. I am under no contract with dish or Netflix. I am only bound to the stated customer service agreement as outlined per dish & Netflix. Yes my respect and loyalty has seriously disintegrated over the years with dish & it will take them moving a mountain to earn it back. A fan boy of dish or any other provider I am not, it is just picking out the least crooked of the bunch, which for now is dish.

I just signed up for blockbuster.com w/ a 30day trial just now and from what I've seen I don't think i'll be keeping it after 30 days unless the streaming has different content than NetFlix. (which i bet alot of it will mirror netflix's catalog) A lot of the movies have a long wait, short wait or unavailable.

Yeah, I signed up with BlockBuster a couple of weeks ago via the 30 day free trial. At this time I'm not real impressed by there selection or navigating their website. Also shipping seems to take a day longer then Netflix did, so that adds up to 2 days longer turn around time. I might give them another month just to let the dust settle and see if it's really worth it.
Ghpr13:)

The business news is reporting that Starz refused to renew contract with Netflix and Netflix took a market hit today.

Let the streaming wars begin.
Starz hooking up with Blockbuster through Dish may make Dish a viable alternative for streaming. Starz doesn't want to be part of Netflix because they pretty much become a middle man for selling Sony and Disney movies, and they are replacing themselves with Netflix (ie people would pay just $8 a month to Netflix to watch Starz movies, instead of $13+ a month to Starz.

With conjunction with Dish Network, Starz could have both.

But streaming movies is going to get expensive for streaming companies, because studios will demand a lot more money. It worked for Netflix for a bit, it isn't working as well now. Dish can offer multiple platforms for the same material. Or they could mess it up.

Starz hooking up with Blockbuster through Dish may make Dish a viable alternative for streaming. Starz doesn't want to be part of Netflix because they pretty much become a middle man for selling Sony and Disney movies, and they are replacing themselves with Netflix (ie people would pay just $8 a month to Netflix to watch Starz movies, instead of $13+ a month to Starz.

With conjunction with Dish Network, Starz could have both.

But streaming movies is going to get expensive for streaming companies, because studios will demand a lot more money. It worked for Netflix for a bit, it isn't working as well now. Dish can offer multiple platforms for the same material. Or they could mess it up.

You know that's the thing with streaming video. It's still really in it's infancy and as it continues to grow in popularity, everyone will start wanting to make a larger profit off of it. The one that worries me the most are going to be the broadband providers, since they really are the ones who can control the speed and amount of data we can download, and can set the pricing. All other hands out will be behind them.

Ghpr13:(

You know that's the thing with streaming video. It's still really in it's infancy and as it continues to grow in popularity, everyone will start wanting to make a larger profit off of it. The one that worries me the most are going to be the broadband providers, since they really are the ones who can control the speed and amount of data we can download, and can set the pricing. All other hands out will be behind them.

Ghpr13:(

I think when BB comes out with a price, at that moment the service will suck. They won't be able to handle the value and you will read nothing but complaints for a while. As for streaming why do you think AT@t has caps now. The first broadband company that sells a TV service whats to limit your ability to stream, genius. Can you blame them. Seems like a lot of people like to wine about how much any given company won't do or give them. Some company's do it wrong. Some do a lot right. But no one place of business makes everybody happy. My Grandmother is retired. Complains about everything. Writes letters, makes phone calls. Has a cabnit full of food that was free. Cereal, beans, just name it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, I guess. Well that's my rant. Peace. :)

The problem is that content owners and content providers (like Starz) aren't making the big money in the streaming realm. What they have learned is that the big money is still with their cable and sat and IPTV and FiOS agreements, NOT on line. So, now they are starting to require that users ALSO have a subscription to their services This is GREAT for Charlie as he already has relationships and agreements with those owners and providers and Charlie and cable et al. all have something else that Netflix never had and still doesn't have: LEVERAGE. Meaning cable and sat et al. can DUMP a channel at some point or even MOVE it to a higher tier at contract renewal time from their line-up if they can't get a decent on-line streaming deal. There is an incentive for both parties to work something out because you aint gonna see Starz just walk away from Dish or any other MVPD. The truth is, no one needs Netflix, but they all need the MVPD's.

This is bad for Netflix and most consumers as the streaming model at Netflix is NOT the future, unless Netflix can get even MORE $$$ to keep stars and a succession of studios who are also gonna want way more money because the studios way undervalued their content and didn't understand how huge Netflix would become. Well, now they know and it is NOT good news for Netflix. However, expect Blockbuster to do well as it is owned by an MVPD: Dish Network.

So, we had better hang on to those costly cable a sat subscriptions. We're gonna need 'em.

Last edited:
The problem is that content owners and content providers (like Starz) aren't making the big money in the streaming realm. What they have learned is that the big money is still with their cable and sat and IPTV and FiOS agreements, NOT on line. So, now they are starting to require that users ALSO have a subscription to their services This is GREAT for Charlie as he already has relationships and agreements with those owners and providers and Charlie and cable et al. all have something else that Netflix never had and still doesn't have: LEVERAGE. Meaning cable and sat et al. can DUMP a channel at some point or even MOVE it to a higher tier at contract renewal time from their line-up if they can't get a decent on-line streaming deal. There is an incentive for both parties to work something out because you aint gonna see Starz just walk away from Dish or any other MVPD. The truth is, no one needs Netflix, but they all need the MVPD's.

This is bad for Netflix and most consumers as the streaming model at Netflix is NOT the future, unless Netflix can get even MORE $$$ to keep stars and a succession of studios who are also gonna want way more money because the studios way undervalued their content and didn't understand how huge Netflix would become. Well, now they know and it is NOT good news for Netflix. However, expect Blockbuster to do well as it is owned by an MVPD: Dish Network.

So, we had better hang on to those costly cable a sat subscriptions. We're gonna need 'em.

But again, if AT&T, Turner, Verizon, etc., own & control the broadband lines we need to stream with, they will have the upper hand. Unless Dish and D* come up with a way to use our receivers and develop a "Netflix" type plan that is a monthly charge for unlimited VOD, streaming as we know it right now can't succeed, IMO.
Ghpr13:)

Dish needs to be able to use this streaming through their VIP receivers and sign contracts with the numerous 3rd party devices that currently stream Netflix, ie PS3, Xbox, Wii, blu-ray players, Roku, Boxee etc. When they get to that point they will have a formidable alternative to Netflix. Many consumers don't wish to stream on their computers and use the 3rd party devices. If dish can make that happen i feel they would have a fantastic edge over Direct TV and Netflix.

I decided to dump Netflix and go to BB. My current month was up, so i took the free month from BB and moved my 3 out at a time to them. Have used them before here, mailing is usually a day longer, but its no biggie and principal for me right now.

So late in the day Friday, the Financial Times is reporting that an insider told them that DirecTV was outbidded to get Hulu. It was now down to Amazon, Yahoo, ... AND DISH!
UPDATE, 5:25PM: Dish Network is one of three remaining bidders for streaming video website Hulu, along with Amazon and Yahoo, an insider told The Financial Times today. The bids for Hulu reportedly are in the $1.5B-$2B range.

When do you think we will hear how this shakes out?!?!
Dish Network Plans Blockbuster Streaming Service To Rival Netflix; Hulu Bid Reported – Deadline.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts