Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

Egypt is in the Northern Hemisphere so the Big Dipper can be seen above the horizon.
Most of the night / year, yes. But I set my planetarium program to Cairo and almost all of it is below the horizon for the time period in which it's horizontal and right-side-up as it is in the Dish Scape. I suspected as much because it's pretty low in that orientation from here at 41N -- what I didn't expect was that Cairo is around 30N, I thought it was much closer to the equator.

I finally got around to watching a complete one hour loop today. I have a slight quibble with how short the night segment is. Being that far south, closer to the equator, shouldn't it be pretty much evenly divided between day and night, regardless of what time of year this takes place? In any event, this is airing in early February, in the northern hemisphere. So if anything, the night segment should be at least slightly longer than the day segment, not the other way around.
I like the almost-wet reflective sheen that covers the sand at night under the gleam of moon and stars .

Reactions: TheKrell
The Sphinx is much, much older than the pyramids. So, if they had gone that far back in time, the pyramids would have completely disappeared.
Archeologists beg to differ. NOVA Online/Pyramids/How Old Are the Pyramids? Most scholars date the Sphinx to the 4th dynasty, and to Kafre in particular. Kafre excavated the limestone bedrock around the Spinx to create his temple in front of it.

Reactions: maggiedeahne
Archeologists beg to differ. NOVA Online/Pyramids/How Old Are the Pyramids? Most scholars date the Sphinx to the 4th dynasty, and to Kafre in particular. Kafre excavated the limestone bedrock around the Spinx to create his temple in front of it.
There are a few geologists/ archaeologists who think the Sphinx is much older , but many more believe it is about the same age as the Great Pyramid.... but consensus about something in one era doesn’t mean that is necessarily the truth about the thing. I guess we may not know in our lifetime . I want those guys with the cool lasers to go to Giza and figure out what is all around the pyramids underneath the sand...... and then they need to go to Gobekli Tepe!

Reactions: pattykay
I want those guys with the cool lasers to go to Giza and figure out what is all around the pyramids underneath the sand...... and then they need to go to Gobekli Tepe!
What cool lasers? Cosmic rays have been used basically to "CAT scan" the great pyramid. And they discovered a void that has never been excavated. And ground-penetrating radar has been used to see structures under the sand. But those aren't lasers either. LIDAR has been used to see through forest canopies... That is definitely a laser, but I haven't heard of LIDAR being used to see beneath the sand. Can you give me a URL to research this?

What cool lasers? Cosmic rays have been used basically to "CAT scan" the great pyramid. And they discovered a void that has never been excavated. And ground-penetrating radar has been used to see structures under the sand. But those aren't lasers either. LIDAR has been used to see through forest canopies... That is definitely a laser, but I haven't heard of LIDAR being used to see beneath the sand. Can you give me a URL to research this?
There was a series on PBS where a team of people with a mobile laser scanner bounced light rays off of objects for mapping purposes. I knew they went to Temple Mount , Herodium and the Coliseum of Rome, but not the pyramids!

Reactions: TheKrell
So after a few lackluster Dish Scapes, has Dish gotten bored with them? Looking ahead in the guide to see what the new one will be it just says "Dish scapes".

Wow, one week away and you don't even know what you will show? Will it be a quickly-drawn crude stick figure of Bigfoot?
Maybe it will be a rotation, kind of a "Best of Dish Scapes." They could do a different scape each day, or even a different scape each hour for several hours, and then run that rotation of scapes in a loop. The free preview of the Gallery app will be over by then, so this would be a different way to do a "free preview" of what the Gallery app has to offer. The Gallery app is where the real money is, so that is where Dish is likely concentrating their Scape efforts. I don't think Dish has gotten bored with the scapes, but I kind of have gotten bored with them. I find the discussion here much more interesting than the actual scapes themselves. So, I think a rotation of scapes would make the channel so much more interesting, instead of simply showing the exact same scape all month long.

• Wow
I don't think Dish has gotten bored with the scapes, but I kind of have gotten bored with them. I find the discussion here much more interesting than the actual scapes themselves.

This captures our feelings too. When the scenes were updated a few times during the month we often left the channel on as we read, etc. We've pretty much stopped doing that after the first few days of the month. Instead we have gone back to one of the music channels. Really, that's not a bad thing.

I also think the discussions here are part of the fun of watching the Scapes.

So after a few lackluster Dish Scapes, has Dish gotten bored with them? Looking ahead in the guide to see what the new one will be it just says "Dish scapes".

Wow, one week away and you don't even know what you will show? Will it be a quickly-drawn crude stick figure of Bigfoot?

I am guessing the guide update overnight must have populated it, because my receiver says Irish Countryside - "gaze upon magnificent cliffs and quaint cottages nestled on Ireland's Atlantic coast."

I am guessing the guide update overnight must have populated it, because my receiver says Irish Countryside - "gaze upon magnificent cliffs and quaint cottages nestled on Ireland's Atlantic coast."
Same here. Guess it was Dish's completely accurate bug-free guide info having a rare glitch.

Seems appropriate for March...and after last week's weather antics, a shot of green would be nice.

I wasn't able to get channel 198 on my Wally, anyone know why ?
Yeah, I mentioned it several times before in the thread. For whatever reason, Dish did not put the Gallery app on Wally receivers. (The app actually had been on Wally briefly when it first launched. However, it did not actually work, and was quickly removed.) Channel 198 is the guide shortcut to that app. So, without the Gallery app, there is also no channel 198. However, you should be able to see the Gallery channel in the guide on channel 9681 during the free preview. (The guide for that channel simply says "Gallery by DISH scapes." So, this is Dish's "completely accurate bug-free guide info" at work again.) The channel 9681 Gallery is currently showing the exact same thing as channel 199. I am not sure if Dish ever puts different scapes on the Gallery channel. However, even with a Wally, you should still be able to access the other Gallery scapes through the On Demand menu. You can scroll down to Browse By Channel, and look for the Gallery on demand there.

Maybe it will be a rotation, kind of a "Best of Dish Scapes." They could do a different scape each day, or even a different scape each hour for several hours, and then run that rotation of scapes in a loop. The free preview of the Gallery app will be over by then, so this would be a different way to do a "free preview" of what the Gallery app has to offer. The Gallery app is where the real money is, so that is where Dish is likely concentrating their Scape efforts. I don't think Dish has gotten bored with the scapes, but I kind of have gotten bored with them. I find the discussion here much more interesting than the actual scapes themselves. So, I think a rotation of scapes would make the channel so much more interesting, instead of simply showing the exact same scape all month long.
While I also like to read your posts, I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep with Dishscape as my background ambience if it kept morphing into something else - I would stay awake trying to plot the changes! I will miss exotic Egyptian sunsets, but I am looking forward to picturesque Ireland!

Reactions: pattykay