Dish shrinks pay TV subscriber losses to 133,000 in Q4 . . .

Exact model I am familiar with although I don't remember $120

Amazon product ASIN B01IYJLP0M
OIC. Yes, there are cheaper HDMI capture boxes. But the one you showed does not record HDCP protected material, which I believe is present on our Dish Network receivers, and even some computer outputs. Am I getting this right?

Exact model I am familiar with although I don't remember $120

Amazon product ASIN B01IYJLP0M
There is a very important piece of information aded to that device:

• *** VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ FULLY BEFORE PURCHASING! THANK YOU! *** 1) This device does NOT record or pass-through from sources with HDCP (content protection) enabled, including many HDMI sources such as computers, DVR's, DVD players, etc. The device will show NO SIGNAL from these sources. This does NOT indicate a defective device, but rather that your source has HDCP. 2) This device does NOT support live streaming. It works as a standone device ONLY and will NOT connect to a PC or Mac.

There is a very important piece of information aded to that device:

• *** VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ FULLY BEFORE PURCHASING! THANK YOU! *** 1) This device does NOT record or pass-through from sources with HDCP (content protection) enabled, including many HDMI sources such as computers, DVR's, DVD players, etc. The device will show NO SIGNAL from these sources. This does NOT indicate a defective device, but rather that your source has HDCP. 2) This device does NOT support live streaming. It works as a standone device ONLY and will NOT connect to a PC or Mac.
Yup. That is what they claim. Check out the top critical review. They, along with other reviews, state otherwise.

Reactions: TheKrell
There are already ways to record internet streams. Channels DVR can record TV Everywhere content and Play On can record some VOD content. Plus all of the various Youtube downloaders that are out there. While none of them are perfect, they do exist.
Yeah, but those are niche devices that are not intuitive for the vast majority. The point I was making is that a device, that has US Patent that does not require "off-shore" development and is already integrated as part of a full, multi-media box and the only known process of archiving UHD in the highest frame rate, as simple as just connecting it between the streaming (connected device) device and the TV/display with DVR trick play would be the revolution to enjoying streaming content on OUR terms just like a traditional local DVR. I've spoken to many people, and they want a "box" that connects to the Roku or FireTV, etc. and nice to playback at all TV's and mobile and place-shifting would be nice bonuses, but at least full local viewing: in other words something like a TiVo--although smaller form would be nice. People don't grasp "head-less" devices, but the traditional form and place of such an archiving DVR box could operate as quasi-head-less, much like whole home DVR's.

As far as costs sure, that impacts but you think sports are a big reason for Dish's subscriber loss? I don't. The viewing market for sports pales in comparison to general entertainment. Disney has almost 100 million subscribers while ESPN has 12 million. Regionals are specific and a specialty. ie: very very small interest group. NFL Sunday Ticket? No, 2 million subscribers. In the big scheme of things sports has minimal impact on Dish's overall declining numbers.
I think the two reasons for DISH's subscriber loss - regional sports channels AND the costs of DISH are higher than with cable when you bundle internet.

I was with DISH for 17 years, but dropping the sports channels was it. I paid more than cable to avoid cable and I was generally happy.

But I realized I was paying $40-$50 a month more with DISH and my internet connection combined than if I bundled it with cable.

Drawbacks with cable is the equipment is crap, and I miss prime time anytime. The plus: I can get ALL of my sports channels and I pay $50 less right now and it will be $40 after the year ends.

No question it's been awhile since either DBS service had a net increase in subscribers, but that wasn't what you asked. They both add subscribers probably daily...
Hello..it was obvious to most people that an increase in subs means reporting a positive number instead of a negative one..I didn't realize my question was that difficult.

Reactions: pattykay
And which Regional Sports Channel are you watching? Cause DISH booted 90% of them
Not every single game is on the Regional Sports Channels, though. Also, some people subscribe to the out-of-market sports packages, and are just fine with watching other markets' teams. So, without knowing what packages sam_gordon subscribes to (or which specific sports were being referenced in that post) it really is a moot point.

Not every single game is on the Regional Sports Channels, though. Also, some people subscribe to the out-of-market sports packages, and are just fine with watching other markets' teams. So, without knowing what packages sam_gordon subscribes to (or which specific sports were being referenced in that post) it really is a moot point.
Remember the Charlie Chat when they all dressed in NFL jerseys?

• Love
Reactions: pattykay