Dish sneaky PPV tactics? - DVR goes to PPV order screen by itself!

Edgar_in_Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I can't believe that I'm the only one experiencing this, but I searched the forums and did not see any threads specifically discussing this.

I have a 722 in my basement home theater hooked up to my projector, and a 622 upstairs hooked up to the family TV.

For the last few months, I have noticed that sometimes when I go downstairs and turn the projector on, my Dish receiver is displaying a screen confirming that I want to order some PPV movie or event, and it looks like I just have to push the "select" button once to go through with the order. It is just me and my wife and our two young daughters, and I am the only one who operates the downstairs DVR, so I know that nobody else is doing this. The receiver must be doing it by itself.

I have not had the same problem on the 622 upstairs, but the last week or so it has also started doing this. Just a few minutes ago I was playing with my two daughters and the TV was on PBS in the background, and suddenly I saw that the PPV order screen came up. Nobody had touched the remote.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've never order PPV before, and don't even know how to off the top of my head, but I don't believe there is a single button on the Dish remote that would make this screen come up. But even if there was, I know that this is happening without anybody touching the remote.

I suppose this could just be a glitch, but it seems awful convenient for Dish that this "glitch" would just happen to bring up the PPV order screen, just an inadvertent button push away from ordering some unwanted PPV. So far, nobody has accidentally ordered anything, but it's probably only a matter of time before somebody hits the wrong button when that screen is up.

Has anybody else seen this? It looks like an underhanded trick to me.

u have a neighbor closeby who has dish?..Change the remote code on the reciver so that there remote cant order your pay-per-view

You don't have an auto tune timer set to that channel do you? If it's TV1 you shouldn't have to worry about someone changing your channels because it's IR. If it's TV2 then you may want to change the remote address.

You don't have an auto tune timer set to that channel do you? If it's TV1 you shouldn't have to worry about someone changing your channels because it's IR. If it's TV2 then you may want to change the remote address.
On a 622 in single mode the RF will work. One of mine is connected to a TV via component and another TV on the other side of the wall via HDMI. The UHF remote works fine. I would also suggest changing the UHF remote address.

Yes that is sneaky, and I personally haven't seen it on my receivers. But as soon as the channel 1 VOD/PPV nonsense appeared in the guide, they started charging people for programs that we never ordered. I think this is buggy programming.typical of Dish Network. Anyhow, I suffered only a single charge for a movie we never ordered, and I called and got my "PPV credit limit" set to zero. Use those exact words if you want to do the same. Obviously this precludes you from ever buying any PPV program unless you call and reverse that setting. But if enough of us do that, Dish might get the hint that their nepharious in-your-face PPV marketing is getting them nowhere.

I've noticed that - then I realized when I grabbed the remote, if I accidentally pressed the * key - it selected channel 1 - and was looking for my order pin.

Hmmm....on my remote the * button is also labeled as "format", and when pressed it cycles through the different screen formats/stretches.

The 922 did this to me one day and I immediately called it into Dish. The CSR thought I was nuts... I had them on the spot set my VOD/PPV credit limit to zero. Since the 922 remotes are bonded to the receiver no way someone else was controlling my receiver....

This starting happening to me only after I hooked up my Revue so I thought that was the culprit. But I guess it is not. Time to set up a password for the 922

You're right - it was a few weeks ago - but it was the ZERO key (not #) - so since there is no channel zero, it goes to the closest - channel one. Yes - lock PPV - so there it is no accidental order. Too easy without it.

I have noticed this issue on my 622. The first time it happened I thought the dog caused it--jumped up on the couch at about the same time as the PPV screen appeared--, but has happened a couple of times since then with no one messing with the remote. I know the neighbors are not the cause of it, about 1000' to the closest one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)