DISH Statement on Stella Passage

I'm just hoping that this means I'll eventually get PBSHD in Columbus. (Not even holding out hope for multicast)
A copy of S.3333 can be found here. See page 97

then such satellite carrier shall carry the signals in high-definition format of qualified noncommercial educational television stations located within that
local market in accordance with the following schedule:
‘‘(i) By December 31, 2010, in at least 50 percent of the markets in which
such satellite carrier provides such secondary transmissions in high definition
format.
‘‘(ii) By December 31, 2011, in every market in which such satellite carrier
provides such secondary transmissions in high definition format.

There is nothing about multicast that applies in any way to satellite carriers.

The PBS language refers explicitly to "high definition".

All use of "multicast" is in the cable system section of the bill.

Say BYE BYE All American Direct

Like all legislation, there are never special deals that name names.

Instead, it refers to a description that can only mean one entity.

The legislation that gives special waivers of the distants injunction to Dish Network is:

SEC. 105. CERTAIN WAIVERS GRANTED TO PROVIDERS OF LOCAL-INTO-LOCAL SERVICE FOR ALL DMAS.

The wording that exempts DirecTV from the PBS requirements is:

(2) ELIGIBLE SATELLITE CARRIER- The term ‘eligible satellite carrier’ means any satellite carrier that is not a party to a carriage contract that--
‘(A) governs carriage of at least 30 qualified noncommercial educational television stations

So how do we know what they have determined what the signifigantly viewed stations are in your area? I know which stations should be signifigantly viewed for my area but that don't mean they will have determined it that way.

Scott,

Would we still be able to continue purchasing my CBS from AAD? I really like having the dual feeds. Makes recording shows much easier. But with all the news surrounding the DVR suit it may be fruitless.:D
I dont know if AAD will be sticking around after next month since DISH can do distants again.

Am I reading correctly:
‘(E) NETWORKS OF NONCOMMERCIAL EDUCATIONAL BROADCAST STATIONS- In the case of a system of three or more noncommercial educational broadcast stations licensed to a single State, public agency, or political, educational, or special purpose subdivision of a State, the statutory license provided for in this paragraph shall apply to the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of such system to any subscriber in any county or county equivalent within such State, if such subscriber is located in a designated market area that is not otherwise eligible to receive the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a noncommercial educational broadcast station located within the State pursuant to paragraph (1).

WGBH, WGBX, WGBY all licensed PBS stations in MA - should then be available throughout the state regardless of the DMA?

Am I reading correctly:
‘(E) NETWORKS OF NONCOMMERCIAL EDUCATIONAL BROADCAST STATIONS- In the case of a system of three or more noncommercial educational broadcast stations licensed to a single State, public agency, or political, educational, or special purpose subdivision of a State, the statutory license provided for in this paragraph shall apply to the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of such system to any subscriber in any county or county equivalent within such State, if such subscriber is located in a designated market area that is not otherwise eligible to receive the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a noncommercial educational broadcast station located within the State pursuant to paragraph (1).

WGBH, WGBX, WGBY all licensed PBS stations in MA - should then be available throughout the state regardless of the DMA?

Note:
...if such subscriber is located in a designated market area that is not otherwise eligible to receive the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a noncommercial educational broadcast station located within the State...

In other words, DMAs that do not otherwise have a PBS.

For example, in Southern California, the Los Angeles PBS "KCET" is provided by cable and by local translator transmitters throughout the area between San Diego and San Francisco to many DMAs like Bakersfield that otherwise do not have a PBS.

This provides that KCET-HD can be provided to those DMAs by Dish Network.

In your example, WGBH-HD could be provided to any Massachusetts DMA that did not have a PBS.

From my limited reading of bil S.3333, it appears that the injunction still stands, but there is a limited waiver of that injunction to provide out-of-market network stations to "short markets", provided that all markets are available on Dish Network.

It is interesting to note that the latest version of the bill gives Dish Network until August 6th to sign a deal with PBS, which would exempt them from the "half in 2010 and half in 2011" provision.

From my limited reading of bil S.3333, it appears that the injunction still stands, but there is a limited waiver of that injunction to provide out-of-market network stations to "short markets", provided that all markets are available on Dish Network.

so markets like Mankato, MN that only has CBS (and Fox subchannel) would get Minneapolis ABC & NBC like DIrectv does?

Sorry to disappoint you Greg ;) , but the "limited temporary clause" (2) is necessary for the said provider to provide all networks to all DMAs, which is necessary for the provider to qualify for the permanent clause (1).

It also provides Dish with the means to actually sign up subscribers to the additional markets that it is adding in order to provide all local markets, by giving the Dish temporary authority to provide all networks to those new locals subscribers.

Last edited:
But for me, it is still short PBS and CW stations that are significantly viewed but probably not as much as ABC CBS NBC and Fox based on the post #26 by HulkHogan258.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)