DISH Statement on Stella Passage

Dish will make a decision as to which ones to offer. A guess would be that they would match what Direct has done. Again the legislation misses the point - Sat providers should be allowed to offer multiple adjacent DMAs within the same spot beam. In reality, I do not think there is going to be a big push unless there is a monetary incentive for the sat company - like a two tiered pricing for locals - extra money for expanded locals.

A long time ago, Dish used to sell people as many network packages as they wanted.

It is the networks that prevent this from happening.

Since all political ads air on those channels, the broadcasters get whatever they want from Congress.

Nothing stopping All American Direct from continuing as is. They leased their transponders and are totally independent from Dish. Their customers might continue to like the big city networks they provide.

Correct there is nothing stopping them, but I see it going away.

I live in a DMA which has an ABC channel only. So does this mean, that I can get ABC on the dish and then Dish will give me CBS, FOX and NBC from some other DMA WITHOUT WAIVERS? Or do I still have to get waivers? I have waivers for AAD right now.

I live in Lake Charles, La. This is good news for us isn't it? I'm not that proficient in this talk, but that means that we will be able to get our locals along with the others that we don't carry, like CBS & ABC, from Beaumont I imagine. Is that right? I know that our NBC, FOX & PBS are uplinked, so I am guessing this means we will be getting it all turned on. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am so very often. :p

I live in a DMA which has an ABC channel only.
St Joe, MO by chance? ;)

So does this mean, that I can get ABC on the dish and then Dish will give me CBS, FOX and NBC from some other DMA WITHOUT WAIVERS? Or do I still have to get waivers? I have waivers for AAD right now.
IF they are allowed to import neighboring locals, then yes. That is how it works on D*
My Market (Mankato, MN) is a CBS only DMA (well CBS and now Fox subchannel). Mankato folks on D* get
CBS Mankato
ABC, NBC, FOX from Minneapolis (since Fox Mankato isnt uplinked)
PBS is the National feed

That is the locals package Mankato subs get

I live in Lake Charles, La. This is good news for us isn't it? I'm not that proficient in this talk, but that means that we will be able to get our locals along with the others that we don't carry, like CBS & ABC, from Beaumont I imagine. Is that right? I know that our NBC, FOX & PBS are uplinked, so I am guessing this means we will be getting it all turned on. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am so very often. :p

see my post above this one and below yours...that answers pretty much the question

Yes, this means that if you live in any DMA that is missing any network, Dish will be able to provide you with that network from some other DMA.

It also means that you will get it for no extra cost, since as of June 3rd, locals are included in all basic packages.

Note that means SD network channels. Dish has no obligation to provide HD locals in any particular DMA until 2013. Until then, they plan to provide as many HD locals as possible, of course, in order to compete with cable.

Yes, this means that if you live in any DMA that is missing any network, Dish will be able to provide you with that network from some other DMA.
Could that other DMA be NY for example on a conus transponder?

All American Direct is pretty much gone!

They might be leasing transponder space from Dish, and that agreement might still be valid, but a majority of their customers come from a direct referal from DISH, and without those referals they will simply loose customers on an ongoing basis till the costs to provide the signal and lease transponder space run them out of business.

Could that other DMA be NY for example on a conus transponder?

Dish will provide a channel of their own choosing, to everyone in the DMA.

In order to get distant network channels (meaning a far away channel of their own choosing), you will still need:

- No local satellite channel available for you from your DMA, and either
- A waiver from the local affiliate in your DMA, or else
- No digital signal OTA at your house when an official FCC test is run for you.

Also, the law prohibits anyone getting a network channel that is earlier than their timezone.

So, most people will simply be getting Dish's choice of a nearby local channel of that network that is already on the same spotbeam, at no extra cost.

Juan is good at disinformation

Unfortunately, I was reading Juan's Russian Disinformation.

The bill he linked, S.2764 is NOT the one that passed.

But he was trying to help and that counts for something.

St Joe, MO by chance? ;)

Yes. It will be nice to get St. Joe channels over Dish, but will hate losing distant nets. Good thing that all NCAA tournament games will be on next year and I have NFL Red Zone because those were the biggest reasons that I wanted distant nets.

I mainly use the West Coast feeds for a 3rd channel when I am recording two shows at once, but now I will have guide information for my OTA so I can use that for my 3rd channel.

The thing is....

All American Direct is pretty much gone!

They might be leasing transponder space from Dish, and that agreement might still be valid, but a majority of their customers come from a direct referal from DISH, and without those referals they will simply loose customers on an ongoing basis till the costs to provide the signal and lease transponder space run them out of business.

as mentioned above, Dish has no obligation to provide HD locals (ie, networks cbs/nbc/abc/fox). It could very well just be SD junk! AAD provides HD networks and I hope that they continue to provide them as I do not want SD :(.
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)