DISH Statement on Stella Passage

will Evansville, Indiana local stations now be seen in HD?

Nothing in the bill affects adding local stations in HD.

The bill restores certain privileges to Dish Network if they provide all ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX channels throughout the US, and since that was requested by Dish, then certainly they will do so. But it only refers to SD, not HD.

The FCC has previously issued guidelines on Dish and DirecTV providing local HD channels, and they have until 2013 to complete that rollout.

( The bill does say that PBS must be included in any group of local HD networks added after February 27th, and that 50% of markets with HD must add PBS by December 31st, and the other 50% by the end of 2011. But that thereby excludes any market where Dish has no local HD channels at all, which then reverts to the 2013 deadline.)

Note:

In other words, DMAs that do not otherwise have a PBS.

For example, in Southern California, the Los Angeles PBS "KCET" is provided by cable and by local translator transmitters throughout the area between San Diego and San Francisco to many DMAs like Bakersfield that otherwise do not have a PBS.

This provides that KCET-HD can be provided to those DMAs by Dish Network.

In your example, WGBH-HD could be provided to any Massachusetts DMA that did not have a PBS.

What is not clear - I live in MA but my DMA is NY, only PBS I get via satellite is NY, does that mean I am entitled to WGBH because the educational station I get is not within state - not otherwise eligible to receive the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a noncommercial educational broadcast station located within the State pursuant to paragraph

What is not clear - I live in MA but my DMA is NY, only PBS I get via satellite is NY, does that mean I am entitled to WGBH because the educational station I get is not within state - not otherwise eligible to receive the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a noncommercial educational broadcast station located within the State pursuant to paragraph

My reading is that yes, Dish should be able to provide WGBH based on the language in the bill.

However, I am not a lawyer. ;)

Also, I am not sure that Dish will implement the changes in their customer authorization software to accomodate every possible permission that they are provided in the bill.

For Example:

Customer Service Rep: "We are providing you all the local channels for your DMA"

Wkomorrow: "But the bill now allows you to provide me with WGBH"

Customer Service Rep: "We are providing you all the local channels for your DMA"

etc.

The reasons they might is that local cable already carries these PBS stations (competetion). There is no extra cost in uplink, etc., given that I am in the Boston/Springfield spot beam. I would also imagine that there would not be a additional royalties fee for PBS stations. Commercial stations cost Dish per subscriber - I am not sure PBSs do. As I have said before sat companies have never been gung ho on providing out of market stations even when they legally could unless they could make money off of them. Here is an idea - expanded locals including significantly viewed and additional PBSs for $3 more per month.

From my limited reading of bil S.3333, it appears that the injunction still stands, but there is a limited waiver of that injunction to provide out-of-market network stations to "short markets", provided that all markets are available on Dish Network.

Which means they still can not serve the motor home, boat , etc customers.

kstuart said:
Sorry to disappoint you Greg , but the "limited temporary clause" (2) is necessary for the said provider to provide all networks to all DMAs, which is necessary for the provider to qualify for the permanent clause (1).
Okay, but realize that now that Dish Network will be serving all 210 DMA's, that there will be no place available that will allow "distant network service". The qualfication is if you have locals available, no distants. Nothing has changed with that.

So am I right to read that this bill basically allows Dish Network to import a distant station to fill in a missing network (Say DMA #210 only has ABC and CBS, they can import Fox and NBC from NY/LA), on the condition that they provide service to every single DMA?

Also, DirecTV has had Significantly Viewed for a while now, so that's not necessarily new.

Okay, but realize that now that Dish Network will be serving all 210 DMA's, that there will be no place available that will allow "distant network service". The qualfication is if you have locals available, no distants. Nothing has changed with that.

Dish will be able to provide a full network package to every subscriber. Why should they care whether the channels are "distant" or "local" ?

Any, as Nelson pointed out, they will once again be able to provide Distants to RV and boat subscribers.

kstuart said:
Dish will be able to provide a full network package to every subscriber. Why should they care whether the channels are "distant" or "local" ?
You are correct, but for people that think it is "the Wild, Wild West" all over again, that they'll simply be able to request waivers, that option is gone with the wind.
kstuart said:
as Nelson pointed out, they will once again be able to provide Distants to RV and boat subscribers.
Very true.

My only real point is that it will not be like the distants of the past, as this legislation is quite a bit more limited in what Dish Network can and cannot do.

In my county I live between 2 cities and both Dish and DirecTV could not give me both cities locals,but cable could.So my question would be will this end cable's advantage of being the only one in our county to be able to provide both cities locals?.

Nothing stopping All American Direct from continuing as is. They leased their transponders and are totally independent from Dish. Their customers might continue to like the big city networks they provide.
I do.

I like the fact I can record shows in different time zones. Chicago and LA.

Sure it's a few dollars more, but before this Stella Passage I had no CBS.

I'm pleased with AAD and do hope they continue to offer distant locals.:p

Any, as Nelson pointed out, they will once again be able to provide Distants to RV and boat subscribers.

If they can take a network within the same spot beam, they will not have to use national transponder space for HD and/or SD versions of the networks.

Before I get too excited about this; any idea of exactly how dish will implement significantly viewed channels? For Instance; I live in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York DMA. We get the 4 major networks from dish in HD right now. However IN Lancaster county the Philadelphia ABC, NBC, CBS, and MyNet affiliates are considered significantly viewed. Can I request (or will they automatically add) those channels be added to by HDLiL package?

[I would MUCH rather watch WPVI 6's Action News out of Philly(in HD) rather than WGAL's News 8 (is SD)...]

Dish will make a decision as to which ones to offer. A guess would be that they would match what Direct has done. Again the legislation misses the point - Sat providers should be allowed to offer multiple adjacent DMAs within the same spot beam. In reality, I do not think there is going to be a big push unless there is a monetary incentive for the sat company - like a two tiered pricing for locals - extra money for expanded locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts