DISH Statement on Stella Passage

I wonder if Dish can now provide more than one DMA, like the cableco does. My neighboring DMA's towers are only 20 miles from my house, and I can't get them OTA because of a huge mountain.

From my location, southern Chenango county outside Binghamton NY, I can almost receive the Scranton PA NBC channel over the air and I reliably receive two Binghamton channels over the air (CBS and Fox). I can not receive Syracuse NY channels with an antenna here. My local cable operator provides both Binghamton and Scranton/Wilkes Barre channels.

The FCC significantly viewed list includes Syracuse NY channels, but not the closer Scranton channels. Dish provides locals for both Syracuse and Scranton, but I think I'm outside the spot beam coverage area for Syracuse but I get good coverage from the Scranton beam.

I'd like to get the Scranton channels but I fear they will be limited to offering the Syracuse channels that I can't get. The lesson from this is that we are getting into some really complicated issues here.

I wonder what kind of distants Dish will offer for RV's. I've held off on AAD due to price, but if Dish had a price competitive package like before I'd love to send in my RV waiver.

Here's my DMA situation... I live in a county in one DMA, the county across the line is in another DMA, will I be able to get the local channels in the neighboring county? This new law has got me confused.
Go to the link provided by HulkHogan258 and find your state and county. There you will find any SV channels that E* MAY be able to provide you.

Here's my situation

I live in Topeka, KS and have HD locals, however, Fox 43 isn't in HD even though Dish thinks it is (well they have the channel listed as an HD channel when it isn't HD). Is there a way I can get Fox in HD. Their OTA signal is also in SD.

I think I am still SOL am I right

I live in the Steubenville Wheeling DMA. The two stations carry all three networks and Fox. However, none of these stations are on on the satellite. The market is so small it will be a long time before this happens. Pittsburg is a signifantly view market. Info provided by web sites of this forum. (Thanks). Because of the hills and my location I can not recieve any networks OTA. Both stations will not give a wavier. For years the only way I can recieve the networks is to "move". Will the passing of this bill permit me to become legal. What I read it does not look like it. Hope I am wrong. I am not the sharpest tack in the box so I need the forum advice. Thanks!

I looked up my market and the local station in the county above me is NOT considered signifigantly viewed but that market has the local stations I get in the county below me as signifigantly viewed. The way they have it arranged is stupid. The smaller market will have MORE network stations than the larger DMA market.

Here's a report from one of Arkansas' congressman who put the provision in S. 3333. From tmcnet.com
Ross TV Freedom Provision Passes Senate, House

May 14, 2010 (Congressional Documents and Publications/ContentWorks via COMTEX) -- Washington - The U.S. House of Representatives yesterday passed a key provision sponsored by U.S. Representative Mike Ross, D-Prescott, that will require the Federal Communications Commission to examine the nation's Designated Market Area (DMA) system and explore alternatives that would allow local markets the freedom to provide consumers with more in-state programming. The provision was included in final language agreed to by the House and Senate Commerce and Judiciary Committees and unveiled as S. 3333, the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010. The legislation passed the Senate on May 7, 2010, and the President is expected to sign the bill into law. Ross is a member of the House Energy & Commerce Committee.

"The time has come to stop delivering 21st Century technologies with 1950's business practices," said Ross. "Americans should not be bound by outdated laws that prevent them from receiving their home state programming. People who work and pay taxes in Arkansas should be able to watch Arkansas news, weather and sports and too many in Arkansas are denied that option. This FCC study will require the federal agency to look into this problem and is a critical first step to helping ensure all Arkansans have access to Arkansas programming." Current law specifies that television broadcast stations be transmitted primarily within their designated market area (DMA), which is assigned by the Nielsen Media Research Company. Because of these laws, many consumers cannot receive the local channels of the state in which they live and work. In addition, 47 percent of DMAs nationwide cross a state line, which means that millions of subscribers are left watching the local channels of their neighboring state.

"Arkansans want to watch the Arkansas Razorbacks, not the LSU Tigers. Everyone who wishes to receive their local channels in their home state should have the option to do so," said Ross.

The Ross provision, Section 304 of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act, gives the FCC 18 months to issue a report to Congress analyzing the number of households that receive local broadcast stations from a station licensed in another state, the extent to which consumers have access to in-state programming and whether alternatives exist to the current DMA system that would provide consumers with more in-state programming.

"This issue affects countless people throughout Arkansas and it's one of the top concerns I hear about from people all over the state," said Ross. "I strongly believe that all Arkansans should have the ability to watch Arkansas programming and I will continue fighting for legislation that would get rid of outdated regulations and offer consumers more freedom, more choice and more power." In addition, Ross introduced bipartisan legislation last year, the Local Television Freedom Act of 2009, H.R. 3216, that would have directly given satellite and cable companies the ability to provide subscribers not only the local channels within their DMA, but also the local channels of an adjacent in-state DMA. The bill's intent was to give customers who live near a state's border the option to receive local channels from their home state and let them watch their local news, weather and sports for the first time.

A fifth generation Arkansan, U.S. Representative Mike Ross of Prescott has served in the House of Representatives since 2001, where represents the Fourth Congressional District covering most of southern and western Arkansas. He serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and on the House Energy & Commerce Committee, including its Health and Energy Subcommittees. Ross is also key leader of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of fiscally conservative Democratic House members that advocates the principles of fiscal responsibility and government accountability. which requires the Federal Communications Commission to issue a report to Congress concerning the number of households that receive local broadcast stations from a station licensed in another state, the extent to which consumers have access to in-state programming, and whether alternatives exist to the use of the DMA system to define local markets that would provide consumers with more in-state programming. I also helped to include language in that legislation that expressly states that nothing in this Act, the Communications Act, or any FCC regulation shall limit the ability of private parties to make contractual arrangements to retransmit programming. This legislation recently passed out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and will soon be considered in the full U.S. House of Representatives.

A fifth generation Arkansan, U.S. Representative Mike Ross of Prescott, Arkansas, has served in the House of Representatives since 2001. He serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and on the House Energy & Commerce Committee, including its Health and Energy Subcommittees. Ross is also key leader of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of fiscally conservative Democratic House members that advocates the principles of fiscal responsibility and government accountability.

Say for example Elberton, Georgia which is part of the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC market. But their news comes from out-of-state, and unfortuately they don't have an in-state PBS station (so they have to rely on SCETV and UNC-TV), and they wanted to watch Georgia news, and in-state programming. And they wanted to watch for example the Atlanta Falcons, not the Carolina Panthers. People are denied to get the in-state news and programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)