DISH Statement on Stella Passage

Thank God Again like in the old days I had New York and Los Angeles Networks did not like AAD quality sucked and to expensive :)

The rumored death of AAD is a bit premature. Dish has said that it they won't do distants and AAD is still needed for RV's. Also, Dish makes good money off of leasing transponders. As for picture quality, the HD channels are very good quality. Yes, they are expensive, but for those that don't have HD available anywhere else, I rely on AAD for HD. (I can get HD OTA, but it is over 60 miles away and goes out every once in a while.)

I keep seeing references to the qualification for distant nets being based on dish carriage of locals. That might be true and in another thread another poster told me that SHVERA had been amended to reflect this. all I can find on it though are reference s like this

http://www.ilba.org/downloads/~mo~FCC/Congress_Passes_STELA.pdf

I live in St. Joseph, MO. There are no CBS, NBC and FOX channels in my DMA. I have waivers for distants for CBS, NBC and FOX. AAD can sell me distants because of these waivers. AAD can still continue to sell me distants tomorrow because they will not be offering locals in St. Joseph. As long as they offer distants (i.e. as long as Dish leases them the transponder and enough people buy distant nets to keep AAD in business), then I can get distant nets from AAD.

If I bought DirecTV, the fact that Dish Network offered local networks in St. Joe would not keep DirecTV from being able to give me distant networks because just like AAD, they are not Dish Network.

I live in St. Joseph, MO. There are no CBS, NBC and FOX channels in my DMA. I have waivers for distants for CBS, NBC and FOX. AAD can sell me distants because of these waivers. AAD can still continue to sell me distants tomorrow because they will not be offering locals in St. Joseph. As long as they offer distants (i.e. as long as Dish leases them the transponder and enough people buy distant nets to keep AAD in business), then I can get distant nets from AAD.

If I bought DirecTV, the fact that Dish Network offered local networks in St. Joe would not keep DirecTV from being able to give me distant networks because just like AAD, they are not Dish Network.

to be truthful I don't know if the qual is antenna reception or not----but all the news stories say it is.

But I see nothing in your explanation that disproves that. In fact the situation seems to better fit the idea that it is based on antenna reception. But maybe I completely misunderstand your post.

But that is all I say on this. I don't want the thread to turn into a contest over interpretation of this point. I just wanted to point out what I think is a misconception.

All I am doing is asking why people think the qulal in STELA is based on whether the carrier provides locals.

If what you were saying was correct there would be no reason for AAD subs to make any representation about where they live----but they do. Look at all the people trying to "move" somewhere with no OTA reception so they can get distants.

Last edited:
If the carrier offers your locals you are disqualified for the particular networks available..
Qualification is still based on antenna reception of any network station..

If the carrier offers your locals you are disqualified for the particular networks available..
Qualification is still based on antenna reception of any network station..

Now that is confusing.

1. If the carrier (Dish I assume) offers the local, you are disqualified.
2. Qualification is based on antenna reception.

So which is it? Can't be both. If it's the former, than no one will be qualified for AAD after today since Dish is offering all locals. If it's the later, than Dish's new locals don't change a thing and we can still rely on AAD to get HD in areas where Dish only offers SD AND we can't get locals with an antenna.

The rumored death of AAD is a bit premature. Dish has said that it they won't do distants and AAD is still needed for RV's. Also, Dish makes good money off of leasing transponders.
I have been told quite a few times they would make more money off those transponders if they had their own programming on them. I have also been told that they want those transponders back.

DISH has applied to the courts to offer distants.

While nothing official I personally dont see AAD providing service for DISH customers by this time next year.

Now that is confusing.

1. If the carrier (Dish I assume) offers the local, you are disqualified.
2. Qualification is based on antenna reception.

So which is it? Can't be both. If it's the former, than no one will be qualified for AAD after today since Dish is offering all locals. If it's the later, than Dish's new locals don't change a thing and we can still rely on AAD to get HD in areas where Dish only offers SD AND we can't get locals with an antenna.

Dish and AAD are 2 different companies so you can get both

Example
At our cabin we legally qualify for all the nets but CBS according to AAD. The only station in the area is CBS. SO with AAD I can get Fox, ABC, NBC
If I called Dish the locals qualify for the Minneapolis locals (which are 120 miles away)

So technically I can get Mpls locals through Dish and Fox/NBC/ABC through AAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)