Dish to add 8 more HD on 2/10 when will we get more?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
this is where having cable is nice too. i have msnbc in hd, versus hd and wgn america....looking forward to the cubs new season!

I can't get cable where I live, so I'd either have to have a dish sub as well (but no MLB EI, so that is out) or act like a canadian geese flown south for winter ;)

As for the person that asked about bandwith, they have some open since NFLST ended, they use them for HD PPV. I think they may want to wait until D12 tests successfully simply in case of a failure. They won't risk the bandwith they need for NFL, it is their bread and butter.

It seems like we are the followers in HD now. Hope that changes soon.

It seems that way to us. Unfortunately their commercials portray a different story to new potential subs, which I thinks is completely wrong to do. I know I am bitter because I fell for the bait and switch myself, choosing the "HD Leader" specifically because of their commitment to HD only to find myself 2 years later with a subpar offering. Their ads and website are extremely deceptive, more so than the other providers and I find it extremely unethical. That bother me more than the actual missing HD content.

It seems that way to us. Unfortunately their commercials portray a different story to new potential subs, which I thinks is completely wrong to do. I know I am bitter because I fell for the bait and switch myself, choosing the "HD Leader" specifically because of their commitment to HD only to find myself 2 years later with a subpar offering. Their ads and website are extremely deceptive, more so than the other providers and I find it extremely unethical. That bother me more than the actual missing HD content.

So, what are you missing out on? The only channel I see in the list is BBCHD which I might watch once in a blue moon. I find the cheapo HD channels that letter box most of their content a bit annoying. If I were watching them, I would mostly prefer to see their SD channel stretched out to fill my screen.

Last edited:
I see where Dish is going to addHallmark, Showtime West, TruTV, Fox Soccer, Retro, Indie, BBC America, E!, and Sportsman in HD on 2/10. Any ideas when we might get more? It seems like we are the followers in HD now. Hope that changes soon.
yawn2.gif

No big deal too me as I don't even have these SD channels saved on my guide. I don't think these channels are all that popular amongst most viewers either???

Trutv would be cool out of that list. The rest, I personally dont care for. I am sure some do.

They can add a few since the NFL season is done and D12 appears to be in good condition so far.

MSNBC would be a nice addition before olympics, there's quite a bit of hockey on there - not that Directv cares about hockey fans :(
Because that is the only time people will watch this channel.

This is not meant to be political. I bring this up just like I would any cable network with low ratings (like I did in my previous post about the other channels). MSNBC's ratings have been dropping like a stone and I would be willing to bet that they get a nice spike during the Olympics. Of course people with HD service would like to be able to see the games in HD.

So, what are you missing out on? The only channel I see in the list is BBCHD which I might watch once in a blue moon. I find the cheapo HD channels that letter box most of their content a bit annoying. If I were watching them, I would mostly prefer to see their SD channel stretched out to fill my screen.
You mean pillar box?

BTW, I tune to the SD channel when an HD channel stretches their content because I cannot stand to watch distorted images. In fact, for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to watch a stretched and distorted picture.

You mean pillar box?

BTW, I tune to the SD channel when an HD channel stretches their content because I cannot stand to watch distorted images. In fact, for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to watch a stretched and distorted picture.

Same here. I always pick "Pillar" over any modified OAR (Zoom, Stretch), But, different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, that's why I try to let friends know, when they're shopping for a new HD display, to be sure and buy "big enough" in screen size and factor in the actual picture size of a 1.33:1 picture size before buying the TV. That's what I did before deciding on my screen size since I watch a lot of older TV shows as a TV/DVD collector.

Has there been any talk of what DirecTV plans to do with D12? I was a former D* subscriber, but I like movies and after waiting for them to put the HBO multiplex in HD to no avail, I switched to Dish. So far I have been very happy, of coruse I was with DirecTV too, as far as service quailty.

Has there been any talk of what DirecTV plans to do with D12? I was a former D* subscriber, but I like movies and after waiting for them to put the HBO multiplex in HD to no avail, I switched to Dish. So far I have been very happy, of coruse I was with DirecTV too, as far as service quailty.

There is lots of talk about what people want and wish for but I haven't seen anything specific either here or at the other site.

New sat 3D??

There is lots of talk about what people want and wish for but I haven't seen anything specific either here or at the other site.

I have both dish and Direc..

I still think Direc has the best HD picture.. Have not seen Fios though.

What concerns me is all this talk about 3D by Direc..

I have fairly new HD big screens. Spent some money on them.

No way Im ditching them anytime soon..

I hope that direc plans on adding more HD channels on this new Sat???

Ive heard zilch on possible new additions??

But tons of talk about 3D..

Im not interested in 3D...Lets get more HD!!!

I have both dish and Direc..

I still think Direc has the best HD picture.. Have not seen Fios though.

What concerns me is all this talk about 3D by Direc..

I have fairly new HD big screens. Spent some money on them.

No way Im ditching them anytime soon..

I hope that direc plans on adding more HD channels on this new Sat???

Ive heard zilch on possible new additions??

But tons of talk about 3D..

Im not interested in 3D...Lets get more HD!!!

I agree, I've had both, I think Dish has more HD for the average consumer (that is, ignoring pay per views and sports packages), but DirecTV has better HD picture. Hopefully with the new satellite DirecTV will add what only Dish offers now in HD.

I hope they don't waste too much bandwidth on 3D. I'm not getting rid of my Sony Bravia either!

I agree, I've had both, I think Dish has more HD for the average consumer (that is, ignoring pay per views and sports packages), but DirecTV has better HD picture. Hopefully with the new satellite DirecTV will add what only Dish offers now in HD.

I hope they don't waste too much bandwidth on 3D. I'm not getting rid of my Sony Bravia either!

You are correct..Dish probably has more HD at the moment.
Its a game..Dish might lead now but when Direc gets their act together
they can possibly sprint ahead.

However, it still seems that Direc is spinning in circles.
They have such a great opportunity to kick this thing wide open..

Instead they are talking about a new medium??

I just dont get it.

That new Satelite should ( my take) be used exclusively for more HD programming.
They should (maybe they are) lining up new HD channels for the new sat...

Direc has a great product..To be thinking of something other than adding more HD
channels at this time is baffling to me.

Is it due for a Mar or Apr fireup?

Is that 2010 or 2012... knowing directv's empty promises on new HD. sorry, my mistake, we did get 10 more PPV HD channels

Let's get the more HBO channels, and more in HD, ESPN-U, BBCA in HD

Bring VS back too in HD!

So, what are you missing out on? The only channel I see in the list is BBCHD which I might watch once in a blue moon.
Seriously? What channels am I missing out on? How about all of these. The ones with the asterisks Dish has.

MSNBC HD *
truTV HD *
Travel Channel HD *
Smithsonian Channel HD
G4 HD
fuse HD
VERSUS HD *
Outdoor Channel HD
BBCA *
AMC HD
Universal HD *
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
IFC HD
HBO2 HD *
HBO Signature HD *
HBO Family HD *
HBO Comedy HD *
HBO Zone HD *
Starz Kids & Family HD *
Encore HD
Cinemax HD *
ActionMAX HD *
MoreMAX HD
ThrillerMAX HD
@MAX HD
5StarMAX HD *
OuterMAX HD
TMC Xtra HD

You forgot add in such staples such as:
WGN America*
TCM
HLN

Also, D* already has Starz K&F since the day they added all the other Starz HD's...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)