Dish to Direct changeover question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joefloyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
nc
I currently have (1) VIP722 and (1) VIP222. The 722 is in single mode in the family room (HDTV). The 222 serves the bedroom and kitchen TV's (SDTV"S). Both receivers are connected to my home network (internet) via ethernet cables. I am planning on getting (2) HR24 receivers from Direct. How much of the current wiring can be re-used for the same setup with the new receivers. Can the antenna and the boxes just be switched or am I in for a complete rewire job.
The way my house is built makes pulling new wires a pain. The dish guy used the existing telecable wiring for the family room hookup.

The big difference will be if you want the internet connected to the system. They will need a coax line from your router to where the SWM splitter will be installed. You can't use a direct connection of an ethernet cable to the HR24 as it disables the MRV feature.

It will be a simple swap over otherwise. They can use everything you have as 2 HR24's will be installed using the SWM setup and you only need one wire for that. Just be aware that the Slimeline dish uses a 2" mast. So if you have your dish on the roof with will take a new mount. If you have your dish on a pole it will take a larger pole.

One thing I noticed is you no longer will have a tuner for you 3rd tv location. The HR24 does not output for a 2nd tv like the Dish dual tuners do. So you need another receiver from Directv if you want 3 locations.

Thanks for the reply. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll have to get another box for the kitchen location. I actually like it better not having a box there. That's being fed from the bedroom through a RG-59 cable, so another cable will have to be pulled to supply that box. That shoudn't be much of a problem.
I would think that they can just replace the mast / dish. I currently have the 1000.4. It has separate wires to the 222 and the 722. I don't really under stand the coax to the router deal. I have DSL with wireless, but the 722 and 222 are hard wired via ethernet cable.

I suspected the Direct DVR would only serve 1 TV because I noticed it only came with 1 remote.

Get an H24 for the kitchen. It's not a DVR, jusr a receiver. If you do the whole home DVR thing, that kitchen receiver will still be able to play recorded content of either of the 2 DVRs. Coax to the router is to put a single ethernet-to-coax device there. Your receivers will be networked on the coax so you won't need to use the hard wired ethernet at the receiver location.

They can't just change the mast on your 1000.4. It is a 2" mast for the slimline dish so it will be a whole new mount, as your dish mast is only 1 5/8".

Okay - guess I'll get a whole new mount. I currently have a roof mount. There are no obstructions in any direction so a complete replacement should be no problem.

I just switched and they attempted to use my existing wiring, some of which worked. I had a Vip622 and instead when with a MRV 1 HR24 and 2-H24's. There was a hitch that the SD Tuner 2 line E* installed had a low pass band stop filter on it which happened to be hidden behnd a wall. This effectively blocked any connectivity between the units via the DECA that had to pass through it. Took 2 D* Techs to troubleshoot and figure out what the issue was (bandstop was hidden behind a newly constructed wall) and the line looked clear coming in from the Dish save the few issues where the fliter was hidden. Just be aware as you may run into it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)