Dish Tweaking – Two Laptop Method

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
In reference to northgeorgia post (http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/312610-(GEOSAT)-microHD-Portable-power) about taking portable TV and receiver out to dish, I was doing that for a while but I got tired of dealing with plugs and cords.

I have two laptops with two different Skype accounts. One sits in front of TV, the other is with me at the dish while I make adjustments. Tuning must be done slowly as there is a tiny bit of lag between the two laptops but otherwise this setup works pretty well.

You could substitute any device with a camera for the TV laptop then network it to the laptop at the dish and it would still work.

Attachments

• Laptop 1.JPG
    Laptop 1.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Laptop 2.JPG
    Laptop 2.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 192
Do the same with a laptop and iPhone using Skype. Found the Slingbox in SD mode with remote control to be the best option with minimal buffering encode/decode delay.

Shows that there is 'more than one way to skin' - - - - -
Stream your camera directly to your LAN with VLC. Watch with VLC on the laptop at the dish. Delay (lag) is virtually eliminated.

Cool! Thanks to your suggestions, I've finally came up with a legitimate use for FaceTime on my iOS devices! ;)

IP camera and tablet/smart phone would probably do the trick as well. If person dont have internet then one can bring their own router to create your own wireless network to work off of or maybe there is software for smartphone/tablet to have your device adhoc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)