DISH Upgrades Hopper Software; Simplifies Navigation and Hopper-TV Integration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
  • First Pay-TV provider to enable HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) technology
  • On Demand User interface update delivers faster, easier browsing
  • Second-screen app, DISH Explorer, now controls all TVs in Hopper ecosystem

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH is rolling out the latest software for its Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR, making DISH the first pay-TV provider to implement HDMI-CEC technology to control users’ televisions. The software update, code named “Denver,” is the fifth in a line of Hopper updates this year.

“The ‘Denver’ release for Hopper is all about continuing to improve the TV viewing experience for our customers”

In addition to the upgraded Hopper and television integration, DISH has made updates to the box’s navigation and search interfaces. These enhancements, including On Demand shelf organization and control of Joey boxes with the DISH Explorer app, will improve user experiences on Hopper with Sling and Hopper set-top boxes.

HDMI-CEC Technology

With a new HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) function, the moment a user turns on the Hopper, the television will automatically adjust to the proper viewing input. For example, customers who last watched a Blu-Ray no longer have to manually switch back to their TV’s satellite input to view their DISH channels.

“The ‘Denver’ release for Hopper is all about continuing to improve the TV viewing experience for our customers,” said Vivek Khemka, senior vice president of product management at DISH. “With so many devices connected to the TV, we find confusion arises when consumers switch between inputs. Our Hopper’s HDMI-CEC feature helps eliminate that confusion.”

Additional Updates

In addition to the HDMI-CEC, “Denver” improves the Hopper experience with the various enhancements detailed below.

On Demand Shelves: Hopper’s On Demand section now displays rows, or shelves, organized with movie and show tiles displayed horizontally across the screen. This makes it easier for users to scroll through their options and select from the more than 20,000 titles available in DISH’s On Demand collection. As part of this new design, DISH includes a “Free for Kids” shelf that features On Demand content filtered by content ratings appropriate for children.

DISH Explorer: To create a seamless browsing and content discovery experience, the DISH Explorer app can now control all televisions in a Hopper ecosystem. To further enhance the program discovery capability within DISH Explorer, the app now includes a new “See Also” recommendation feature. This allows users to easily find similar programming options. DISH Explorer is a highly-rated, second-screen iPad app that easily finds programming, engages on social media and serves as a remote control.

Search: Hopper’s search function now produces results from all possible sources, including the programming guide, recorded content and On Demand. Results. This is also presented in the shelf-based format, making it easy to view and select from the displayed options.

Programming guide: When users visit HBO, Starz, Encore, Epix and History in the programming guide, an option to select that channel’s On Demand page will appear with additional content options.

Help app: A new “Help” app provides customers with information to better maximize Hopper features and settings. The app is accessible from the “Menu” or by pressing the blue button on the DISH remote.

What about people that use an audio receiver between their Dish receiver and tv? I have all my HDMI cables running into a Denon receiver with one HDMI from the Denon to the tv. So I guess the new HDMI-CEC feature won't have any affect on me?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

What about people that use an audio receiver between their Dish receiver and tv? I have all my HDMI cables running into a Denon receiver with one HDMI from the Denon to the tv. So I guess the new HDMI-CEC feature won't have any affect on me?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I'm the same way and it did not work for me. I still need to turn on the TV which also turns on the Denon.

Randy

I have a Denon between the Hopper and the TV (Sony Bravia). The only thing it has done is rename the TV HDMI port I have it connected to "DISH Hopper"

So for HDMI-CEC to work, I think all your devices have to support it. Your AVR needs to allow those signals to pass along to the TV. Take a look at your device's manual to see if there's anything about it. Even then though, it's possible that the manufacturer could tweak the spec so that it only works with devices that are the same brand. So really, even then it could still not work.

Also: Now they are naming updates!?!? Seriously?

I've got a Yamaha (with CEC) between the Hopper and the tv (with CEC) and the Hopper CEC works great!

One button for all. Baffled me why they did not have it from the get go.

No one knows, probably not even Dish. Roll it out to a few, see what problems get reported from the field, make a decision on how many more to roll out.... Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Boy they really screwed up the search functionality on the Hopper! Also hate that you can't see which recordings are protected now.

I thought I read that the new feature will switch to the correct input but 2 of my TVs are unable to do so...TV and receiver cut on and off with the push of a button but input does not change...any idea???

Search: Hopper’s search function now produces results from all possible sources, including the programming guide, recorded content and On Demand. Results. This is also presented in the shelf-based format, making it easy to view and select from the displayed options.

This is a welcome upgrade. The lack of the "new" designation in the results is a big downgrade.

Our Hopper in the living room was updated but the one in the bedroom hasn't been. We were watching a program that was on our bedroom Hopper in the living room. It would freeze up slightly then play. Then freeze again and play. Finally it froze and we waited and waited. I just restarted it and tried again. Well it did the same thing. Anyone else have this problem? It did that when watching a show from either Hopper. Nothing like that has happened till this update. Any help would be appreciated. They are regular Hoppers without sling.

I already have the new software and have already disabled the CEC feature. I frequently turn off my TV leaving Sirius Music playing from the Hopper Audio Out to my stereo receiver. The new software turns off the Hopper when I turn off my TV. I then turn the Hopper back on to listen to the music and it turns the TV back on. The new feature can be disabled in the diagnostics menu.

I already have the new software and have already disabled the CEC feature. I frequently turn off my TV leaving Sirius Music playing from the Hopper Audio Out to my stereo receiver. The new software turns off the Hopper when I turn off my TV. I then turn the Hopper back on to listen to the music and it turns the TV back on. The new feature can be disabled in the diagnostics menu.

I will be shutting it off as well because I do not want my TV turnrd on when I turn on my Hopper with my Slingbox while I am at remote location. Frankly the CEC is such a lame feature as it ca behave in ways some do not want and we are in the age of remotes li, e Harmony tnat do a much better job of automation. I find CEC both inadequate and a pain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts