DISHANYWHERE Problem (Again)

My experience and Jason_C tells me the latter is true.
Did you read my post? I am positive that Dish does not use the internet for video data when using Dish Anywhere at home. The other people in this thread who supported that fact, are well respected members of this community. I am not trying to be a jerk, or be argumentative. Please try the same experiment that I posted in the edit to my post above.

I think JSheridan might have hit on what the problem might be. Dish Anywhere does not use the internet for video data for shows that originate on the Hopper, such as Live TV channels, previously recorded programs, and on demand that has been downloaded to your Hopper.

Of course, if you are watching on demand content that originates from an internet server (not on your Hopper) that will come from the internet.

Getting back to the original issue (Dishanywhere not connecting to the Hopper3), I just got off the phone with the DISH Super GURU on Internet issues.

It seems that numerous people share my problem, and they are doing a complete re-write of the Hopper - Internet - Player.

The update is currently scheduled for release on 8/31.

We (while on the phone) tried numerous things, none of which resolved the problem.

The Tech was able to connect to the Hopper, so the internet portion of the Hopper is working. It is the Player (which will be going away with the update) that is the issue.

Wait state for new update.

RodeoGeorge

Thank you for that date. I’ll black it out on my calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
George, I think the reason for the slowdown of responses is because you have already tried everything and we have run out of ideas.

I agree and I'm out of ideas as well... Did we discuss gnarly router malfeasance? If so, I must have missed that. But it seems as though, with nobody else having this issue (for long), there must be some local issue causing George's problem.

Reactions: joewhite57
Here's another fact to back up our conclusion. I can stream my OTA sub channels from my Hopper through Dish Anywhere. There's no way that Dish has all my sub channels that they don't even carry on some server somewhere for me to access, it's coming directly from my Hopper. The picture is very clear over my local network but not so much when I'm accessing remotely due to my slow upload speed. :)

Getting back to the original issue (Dishanywhere not connecting to the Hopper3), I just got off the phone with the DISH Super GURU on Internet issues.

It seems that numerous people share my problem, and they are doing a complete re-write of the Hopper - Internet - Player.

The update is currently scheduled for release on 8/31.

We (while on the phone) tried numerous things, none of which resolved the problem.

The Tech was able to connect to the Hopper, so the internet portion of the Hopper is working. It is the Player (which will be going away with the update) that is the issue.

Wait state for new update.

RodeoGeorge

I thought Scott posted that the new update should be ready sometime before the end of the year. That's also what I'm hearing from my sources at Dish so I wouldn't be holding my breath for an 8/31 release. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
There's no way that Dish has all my sub channels that they don't even carry on some server somewhere for me to access, it's coming directly from my Hopper. :)
The explanation given by Jason_C is that your personal Hopper slings whatever it is doing it to a Dish server which then redirects and slings it back to your device....via Internet.

Makes sense to me since my data usage went WAY up after I installed the Firestick.

Later today I will go into the other room and start the Firestick and then come back and unscrew the cable from my modem. That should tell the tale.

Are you Doubting Thomas?

The explanation given by Jason_C is that your personal Hopper slings whatever it is doing it to a Dish server which then redirects and slings it back to your device....via Internet.

Makes sense to me since my data usage went WAY up after I installed the Firestick.

Later today I will go into the other room and start the Firestick and then come back and unscrew the cable from my modem. That should tell the tale.

All of us that have posted info for you know for a fact that it doesn't work that way.

Further, it's physically impossible for my Hopper to upload an 8.2 meg resolution picture to a dish server somewhere and then download and watch it using a DSL connection that's 6 meg down and .6 meg up. Impossible.

Your usage is coming from somewhere else, maybe On Demand, I don't know.

All of us that have posted info for you know for a fact that it doesn't work that way.

Further, it's physically impossible for my Hopper to upload an 8.2 meg resolution picture to a dish server somewhere and then download and watch it using a DSL connection that's 6 meg down and .6 meg up. Impossible.

Your usage is coming from somewhere else, maybe On Demand, I don't know.
I did the experiment. I started the Firestick in the other bedroom and confirmed I was watching a live broadcast. I then walked back to the modem and unscrewed the cable physically from the modem. The radio station I had playing on my computer went dead after about 30 seconds of buffer. Walked back to the other room and the picture had frozen with the ubiquitous "spinning" circle. When I tried to do anything with the remote, the screen said (something like) "Your Firestick has lost connection. Please check your receiver and device and make sure you are connected to the Internet" .

I did this twice to make sure. I am positive that my Dish Anywhere (via an Amazon Firestick) gets all it does via the Internet. (The Hopper is in the living room less than 30 ft. away)

Now I do not know if the Firestick is forcing this action or what, but it certainly explains the increase of data usage. I wish I could check on my computer as well, but it is a ChromeBox (similar to a Chromebook, but much beefier) which will not run the app. (I'm hoping the new version will change that).

Maybe an iOS device?

Maybe an iOS device?
Don't got one. I retired (as an independent Home Theater/Dish retailer) in 2010...just before smartphones became the thing. I finally had to get one because so many devices (Amazon Alexa, for one) REQUIRED one to complete a set-up. So I got the cheapest TracFone I could find (LG Style) and it doesn't have enough memory to DL Dish Anywhere.

The modem I have is branded "Motorola" but according to Xfinity is a Zoom Telephonics, Inc. Model MG7550 (router/modem purchased from Best Buy). I can get into the admin section, but it then looks Greek to me. Couldn't see any obvious problem that I could fix.

On edit: here is a description of my modem:

Motorola 16x4 Cable Modem & AC1900 Wi-Fi - Micro Center

I vote for the Firestick forcing that action. What was Tony using that had no such problem continuing?
I was using my Fire TV Stick just as I posted. When the video was playing a live TV channel, I unplugged the ethernet cable between my router and modem. As I said, the video kept playing without problem.

I have a separate modem and router. Some cable company boxes have the modem and router combined, maybe pulling the cable from those boxes makes the router stop too?

Eddie, are you sure that your Fire Stick is on the same network (with the same subnet) as your Hopper? Are you sure that you don't have "network isolation" active on your router connections?

In any case, if your video data from a live channel is going over the internet while at home, there is something wrong with your system or your setup. That is definitely not how it is supposed to work. You don't seem to believe us, but we are positive about this!

Eddie, it looks to me like both your Fire Stick and your Hopper have internet access, however, your Hopper and your Fire Stick are not seeing each other on your home network. It's as if you had network isolation enabled (or have one of your devices connected to the guest network).
I'm sure I have done no finagling (not knowledgeable enough) so other than naming the Network and enabling WPA2-PSK, I've left everything else at default. As far as isolation, I stumbled my way under my modem set-up to Wireless/Advanced and under both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ it has "Isolate Client" as disabled.

PS. Guest is disabled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)