ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Dishnetwork MANDATES Incompetance

I've been doing installs for over three years. I estimate my new installs at somewhere around 2,000. Since day one I've given customers my PERSONAL CELL PHONE NUMBER to ensure that their system is working or it's MY PROBLEM.

If you were a customer would you like to talk to a guy in a cubicle in India who's never physically touched a Dish?

Or would you rather talk to the SAME PERSON who was at your house, did 2000 installs, and speaks English as his first language?

Personally, I would like to have an option. I would like to be able to get ahold of the original tech AND I would like the option of calling the guy in India. Sorry Charlie's customers. No such luck.

Dishnetwork now forbids technicians (in our state at least) from leaving ANY PHONE NUMBERS WHATSOEVER (except the 1-800-333-3474 number) in the customer's house, on the paperwork, in the account notes, or anywhere else. Penalties for violating this policy include WEEKS of suspensions.

I've had customers who've called me AFTER they spent HOURS on the phone with CSRs, and they were ecstatic to finally speak to someone who knew English. Well, thanks to this policy I'll never have to talk to another customer again on the phone (kinda nice actually) and our Trouble Call rating will probably double at least (not so nice).

Lets here it for Customer Dis-Service!!! HIP-HIP-HURRAY!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Damn. I feel for you guys. Why does Dish continue to make ass backwards decisions?

What a shame...I had DISH Network installed last July and the tech was very nice and left me his cell phone number. He insisted that if I discovered any problems -- related to his install -- for me to call him and not DISH. He didn't go into much detail, but he just said that it would be less hassle for me and him. I did have a need to call him and he indeed was more helpful than other reasons I've had for talking to a DISH CSR.

The first poster here is correct...DISH doesn't care about customer service when they prohibit an installer from going the extra mile.

Eric

Perhaps you could just leave them a business card and tell them if they need any additional services or have any referrals to call the business number. I don't think the E* can prevent you from handing out a business card.

Perhaps you could just leave them a business card and tell them if they need any additional services or have any referrals to call the business number. I don't think the E* can prevent you from handing out a business card.

The installer can hand the customer no material on it with your personal phone number or the phone number of the RSP or Retailer.

I hope they like the back log of TC's they get when they have to send in house tech's on all the TC's to set the TV's back to 3 or 60 because their CSR's are too damn stupid to know how to do it.

I quote the following from an email from a DishNetwork Manager:
It has been communicated SEVERAL times that you should NOT be generating calls back to your office for the purpose of avoiding a TC-30. Furthermore, you should NEVER leave notes in the account, magnets, flyers, stickers, brochures, or ANY literature regarding a local/toll free number other than DISH Network directly. (800-333-DISH)

I feel like they cannot enforce you to not do this. I would sure love to talk to the guys that did the original install. This allows familiarity w/ the system (I know, sometimes it's so many to remember), but even now, after being out of the business for almost 10 years, I still ride around and see Direct systems that I put in and think to myself "oh, yeah, I did that one". People should feel more secure if you hand them a personal contact # or address to get in touch with you.

I'd play it down, hand them a business card & say "i can't help you w/ upgrades, programing, or the like, but if the signal dies, let me know & i'll do what i can"

just my $0.02....
Rob

And if the customer ends up calling dish anyway and tells them you left you rnumber, like they will.

You will end up suspended or fired.

Agreed. You would be busted quickly on this one. Customers dont care about why or how. They just want it now and dont give a damn who they screw over, then just lie about it later.

So pretty much if you install for Dish, RSP or you're a Retailer, call up your local McDonalds.

By the time they are done you will make more money flipping burgers.

And if the customer ends up calling dish anyway and tells them you left you rnumber, like they will.

You will end up suspended or fired.

Well, that sucks :mad: One question if I may; does this pertain only to installers, or to dealers as well? Back in the day, I did installs, but worked for a dealer. I live in an area filled w/ many small towns, & we covered alot of area. If I had to tell a customer they had to call an 800# and wait to speak to someone, then possibly wait weeks for a service call, they would've had me remove the system right then & there. People around here buy local & expect to have local service :(

When I went from c-band to dish a few years ago, I went to a local retailer (actually not the one I had worked for, they were still Direct only) so I had someone to call. Granted they knew me & let me do a self install, but I had someone to fall back to. Heck, when my locals went live on 105, I went right back to them... of course he couldn't let me self install that because of the program @ the time, but I was ok with that because that's how his agreement went. Samething when I upgraded to my 622. I hung out here to get my information, went right back to the same guy & got the DIU rebates, a 622, and a wing dish for 61.5, cause I asked him about the D1000 & he told me up front, it wouldn't work as well for us as a 61.5. So I walked out w/ the dish & the 622, called him up when I was done, told him everything went great!

If I have questions, I'll still call him, now if he tells me I have to call the 800#, so beit, that's what I'll have to do.

Sounds like Dish has shot themselves in the foot w/ this one....

/end rant :)

So pretty much if you install for Dish, RSP or you're a Retailer, call up your local McDonalds.

By the time they are done you will make more money flipping burgers.

Alot less stress too. Your only concern will be if the customer wants fries with that. :D

Well, that sucks :mad: One question if I may; does this pertain only to installers, or to dealers as well? Back in the day, I did installs, but worked for a dealer. I live in an area filled w/ many small towns, & we covered alot of area. If I had to tell a customer they had to call an 800# and wait to speak to someone, then possibly wait weeks for a service call, they would've had me remove the system right then & there. People around here buy local & expect to have local service :(

It does not apply to retailer sales-installs. Those aren't even QC'ed to my knowledge. But for all DNSC fufillment, it applies. If a retailer does DNSC fufillment, on those jobs, they can't leave their number.

WOW, now that you mention it, this is a GREAT reason for EVERY Dishnetwork customer to CANCEL with Dishnetwork directly and go through a local retailer.

It does not apply to retailer sales-installs. Those aren't even QC'ed to my knowledge. But for all DNSC fufillment, it applies. If a retailer does DNSC fufillment, on those jobs, they can't leave their number.

WOW, now that you mention it, this is a GREAT reason for EVERY Dishnetwork customer to CANCEL with Dishnetwork directly and go through a local retailer.

I've been preaching this for a long time now. You will get better service staying locally.

As for canceling service with Dish and finding a local dealer..............................

well that creates more problems than it's worth. I do not suggest this at all.

Just make sure to send anyone interested in getting Dish for the 1st time to a local retailer.

We'll soon,at least here.
This is getting worse every day.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)