DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 3/26/2008 1:24pm - 210 changes

Check out this link: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/e12spots.pdf (courtesy the Echostar Knowledge Base and TNGTony).

We seem to be on the E17 spot based on the fact that we are on TP5.

Just an FYI to the Austin, TX folks. You should be able to get Spot 17 fairly easy if you are in the area. I can see that barely lock on to that spot with a 90cm dish all the way over in South Central Louisiana. During the mid-day I was able to lock TP 5 and see the channel numbers and channel names.

When you had asked if folks could see 61.5, Digi, a while back I was able to get a signal from most all the transponders. Then today nothing. I looked over the maps at the EKB and am still really puzzled. My folks who have two dishes, one oval, one round, and they can't see 61.5 either, their dishes are also up a lot higher than mine (don't know if that makes a difference) on top of a two story house, and mine is on a 5 ft poll.

How can I lose contact with a sat in just 2 weeks? This whole spotbeam nonsense is about as fishy to me as undercoating on a car. Something just to make customers buy more and/or more expensive equipment.

</grumpy>

When you had asked if folks could see 61.5, Digi, a while back I was able to get a signal from most all the transponders. Then today nothing. I looked over the maps at the EKB and am still really puzzled. My folks who have two dishes, one oval, one round, and they can't see 61.5 either, their dishes are also up a lot higher than mine (don't know if that makes a difference) on top of a two story house, and mine is on a 5 ft poll.

How can I lose contact with a sat in just 2 weeks? This whole spotbeam nonsense is about as fishy to me as undercoating on a car. Something just to make customers buy more and/or more expensive equipment.

</grumpy>

Sounds like you have an equipment issue as there are several transponders there that cover the entire US. We call them ConUS beams.

What orbital locations can you lock on to in the your point dish/signal strength screen?

Lighting up the spotbeams is not to make customers buy more equipment. I can guarantee you Dish is spending a LOT of money on bringing these extra HD LILs online. But why waste a perfectly good spotbeam bird, right?

</grumpy>
The spot beams allow Dish to re-use the same transponder in several different locations. This allows them to add HD locals for new locations, like Austin, Texas.

So, where are you in Texas ? If we knew that, we could tell whether or not you should be getting the signal better.

I'm in a town called Fayetteville, area code 78940.

If the posters above are correct that it is Spot Beam 17, then you are right in the center of the Spot Beam and should receive it no problem. That is the San Antonio-Houston spot beam. Spot Beam 16 is the Dallas spot beam, and the city of Austin is also in that beam, and you would be right on the edge of that one (16).

But several people have said it is spot beam 17, so that means that you need to have your 61.5 dish repointed and then you would get it (also be sure that no leaves have grown into the path - that happens frequently).

Bzzzt. They haven't updated the locals checker yet either.

I can pull a screenshot of TP05 61.5, but that would not prove it. Send her the pic I posted :)

I just checked the locals qualification page, and the HD LIL's are listed for Austin now.....

Hopefully that means that the CSR's "got the memo".

:)

The CSR's have the memo, but they will try and tell you that it is 59 to 99 to have them come out and install the wing dish. It took them over 30 minutes on the phone this morning, but I was finally able to get them to send out a tech on Sat to install mine for free.

The CSR's have the memo, but they will try and tell you that it is 59 to 99 to have them come out and install the wing dish. It took them over 30 minutes on the phone this morning, but I was finally able to get them to send out a tech on Sat to install mine for free.
I just logged off a Tech Chat where I was told the same thing :(

"(04EP) Jose M: You are wanting to get the local channels from Austin, TX in High Definition.
TD: ....Yes I want to get the local channels from Austin, TX in High Definition.
(04EP) Jose M: Ok you would need to have a second dish installed for the locals in HD.
(04EP) Jose M: We have a free installation for the second dish which would require a 24 month commitment or without a commitment it would be a $59.95 fee."

Bummer -- $60 bucks or a 24 month commitment :(

How did you get yours free?

Talon Dancer

</grumpy>
Have you had any storms with high winds in the last two weeks? Might just need a repeak.

Pay the $60 as the Dish will need to be replaced in the future with a 3 LNB Dish for Eastern Arc. :)
That was my call too.

FWIW here is the rest of the transcript...
"TD: hmmm... Can I have a minute?
(04EP) Jose M: Sure
TD: Would this commitment lock in the current price for 2 yrs
(04EP) Jose M: Unfortunately the price would still be subject to change.
TD: What would the penalty be for dropping after say one year when prices may go up?
(04EP) Jose M: The cancellation fee is $240, but it is pro-rated at $10 per each remaining month left on the contract.
TD: When could the wing dish be installed?
(04EP) Jose M: Let me check for you.
(04EP) Jose M: The installation can take place on average within about one week.
TD: I would like to get the wing dish and pay the $59.99 fee.
(04EP) Jose M: Please give us a call to set up the order. Our number is 1-800-333-3474.
TD: OK
(04EP) Jose M: What else may I assist you with today?
TD: Nothing Thanks
(04EP) Jose M: Your Welcome and Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat. Have a great day. "

WTF I couldn't even set up the wing dish install via tech chat:(

Ironically I have no intentions of switching from Dish. I have been happy with the DishHD (only) package. And was looking forward to the Austin HD locals and new National HD. But I absolutely hate being held hostage (24 mo commitment) or pay a ransom fee ($60) :(

Way to go Dish. You turned a happy camper into a mad one for a messily $60. Oh well, I guess we all need to do our part to make sure Charlie stays on the Forbes list.

Talon Dancer

So he needs to pay $60 today for a second dish and then pay again for the new dish for Eastern Arc? Maybe he should wait a little longer and pay just one time, no?
Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take Dish to "complete" the Eastern Arc? Is this the big hoo-haw that surrounds the early May dates that get posted occasionally?

I ask because frankly I don't need yet another set of holes in the roof. I'd much rather only have one dish.

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts