DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/7/2008 1:37pm - 122 changes

Is AMC HD actually in existence yet or is it 100% stretch-o-vision?

See ya
Tony

I watched AMC HD on Cox in the clear a few weeks ago. Most movies were in HD but some things were stretched. Patriot Games and Terminator 2 looked good. One HD channel in the clear that I didn't have was worth the switch to cable internet from DSL.

If we do get the hd channels listed in the uplink report by friday it is going to be a good time to be a good dish network customer.

i wouldn't hold my breath for Friday..Next Wednesday would be a better bet

I can vividly remember the day Dish uplinked SciFiHD and USAHD. People were posting things like, "Yes!! Finally!!" in the uplink thread.

We all know how quickly that moved...

I don't consider this an upgrade in content at all. I just hope FilmFestHD absorbs some of WorldCinemaHD, but I doubt it.

I think they're supposed to, but then again Ovation was supposed to absorb some of IMF, and I haven't seen any action on that yet.

I can vividly remember the day Dish uplinked SciFiHD and USAHD. People were posting things like, "Yes!! Finally!!" in the uplink thread.

We all know how quickly that moved...

E* reports earnings next week :) on 05/13/2008 (Tuesday) afternoon. They might need some launched HD channels to back up their 100/100 plan to shareholders. I am curious what they will report to shareholders. Everyone including D* has reported growth in video sub base (except Comcast which was lost only 57,000 subs).

The estimate was .52/share.

I think with a few more HD channels (on top of what has been uplinked) D* will start loosing customers to E*'s HD only package.

You're absolutely right. The question is why would they add the transponders for 72.7W to the tables.

I don't know. It seems a little premature since the transponders don't even exist yet and moving a satellite there will take quite some time.

I think with a few more HD channels (on top of what has been uplinked) D* will start loosing customers to E*'s HD only package.
I agree.

IMHO the dishHD (only) package was/is designed to retain current E* HD customers and attract D* HD customers as the HD channel lists get more equal. D* HD subs can save money and get a better DVR.

Talon Dancer

Making the National Hd live on friday gives Dish time to fullly test the uplink and insure their are no bugs---Make the pq and sound the best it can be.

I don't know. It seems a little premature since the transponders don't even exist yet and moving a satellite there will take quite some time.

I believe there is a DBS satellite there that use to be owned by DirecTV but now is owned by Telesat. DirecTV uses only 16 TPs there, the even ones I believe and Dish signed an agereement with TeleSat lease 16 TPs there when a new satellite is launched there next year. Who knows though, maybe Dish will be allowed to use the TPS sooner but it would be ironic that Dish would lease TPs on and old DirecTV satellite.

So, what is EchoStar planning on doing with "EchoStar 9" now that they have moved everything from 121 ??

They can't move the satellite as Intelsat owns the non-Ku part.

So are they going to sell the Ku part ?

I believe there is a DBS satellite there that use to be owned by DirecTV but now is owned by Telesat. DirecTV uses only 16 TPs there, the even ones I believe and Dish signed an agereement with TeleSat lease 16 TPs there when a new satellite is launched there next year. Who knows though, maybe Dish will be allowed to use the TPS sooner but it would be ironic that Dish would lease TPs on and old DirecTV satellite.

I haven't kept up the birds there... can that satellite at 72 do the odd TPs?

So, what is EchoStar planning on doing with "EchoStar 9" now that they have moved everything from 121 ??

They can't move the satellite as Intelsat owns the non-Ku part.

So are they going to sell the Ku part ?
Since it is FSS band and leasing is quite active these days, occasional traffic, etc.