DishNow self-install help needed...

bjack56

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I just installed a DishNow system at a vacation property this weekend & need some installation help.

Dish 500
301 Receiver (single)
DualPro LNB

My satellites are 119 & 110. I am only able to receive ODD transponders from running Check Switch. Single wire connected to 119 port on LNB runs to receiver, as described in installation manual.

One tech support said I had to also have a wire to 110 LNB port to splitter then single wire to receiver, which gave me (4) Check Switch satellites "not connected". Another tech said I only need the single line connected to the 119 LNB port, but had to run through a DP-21 splitter, then to splitter. NOTHING is mentioned in the instructions about a splitter or "special" splitter required.

Can someone please help...at wits end here :(

Dish 500
301 Receiver (single)
DualPro LNB
You should have a DishPro Twin LNB assembly. I'm not familiar with a DualPro. If you meant to type "DishPro Dual", then you should replace it with a DishPro Twin.

What manner of coaxial cable are you using?

How long is the cable (and is it a single piece)?

My apologies, I am a Dish newbie...it is a DishPro Twin LNB using existing RG59 cable, but signal strength is very good. I know the RG6 would be better, but the house design makes running or replacing the cable almost impossible. The picture I am getting on the ODD transponders is fine, just need to know what to do to get the EVEN or ALL transponders as required for one of the satellites.

My apologies, I am a Dish newbie...it is a DishPro Twin LNB using existing RG59 cable, but signal strength is very good.
There's a pretty good chance that the cabling is the problem. RG59 uses much lighter gauge wire and it may well be killing the voltage required to switch the LNB polarity. RG59 has a 23ga center conductor while RG6 has an 18ga conductor. The ampacity advantage of RG6 is more than triple.

Newbie here...i is a DishPro Twin LNB I think. 2 LNB ports labeled 119 & 110, it is DP labeled.

Using existing RG-59 , since house design make replacement near impossible. Signal strength & picture from ODD transponders is fine.

I would guess the run is 80' total with (1) standard splitter for anothe r TV connection.

Just can not find how to get the EVEN or ALL transponders for the required satellite(s).

Same issue when running the supplied self-install cable directly to the receiver.

The Tech support said that having the ODD was good, because they were "harder" to acquire.

I would guess the run is 80' total with (1) standard splitter for anothe r TV connection.
Where in left field did this splitter come from?

You cannot use a splitter on the satellite feed line. If you need two receivers, you need two lines from the LNB.

If the splitter is "downstream" from the 301, you can do whatever you want.

may want to try some rg-6 just to be sure. just string it out a window directly to the dish from the receiver.

also, I had this happen durning a recent upgrade and the installer said that 'bad' couplers can cause this type of issue. (turned out the the LNB was bad)

i'm confused about the 119 output connection. If it has separate outputs from lnb for 110 and 119, wouldn't there need to be a combiner to pass them down one cable?

The Tech support said that having the ODD was good, because they were "harder" to acquire.
"Tech Support" is wrong. The default is odd and getting the evens requires a higher voltage. This only applies to the older "legacy" equipment anyway. Here's a link to a commentary on the DishPro technology: EKB: DishPro Technology.

The key element of this commentary is the amperage requirement which happens to be just a little bit higher than the ampacity of RG59 (750ma required > 728ma capacity).

If you've made an uninterrupted RG6 run from the LNB output to the 301 input and run a check switch, then you've got a defective component.

Next time, consider choosing the default free professional installation.

The way the signals are stacked you definitely need RG6 wire (preferrably swept to 2500.) The even transponders are at a higher frequency.

SEE Dishnetwork info
"Bandstacking

When connecting an LNBF to a switch, our legacy system uses one cable for 13 volts and the other cable for 18 volts to access the odd and even transponders, respectively, in the frequency range of 950 to 1450 MHz. Think of the connection of an SW-64. It requires the connection of two cables from each satellite location. Two cables from up to three satellite locations gives the six inputs on an SW-64.

Bandstacking combines the signals onto a single cable. The odd transponders are accessed in the frequency range of 950 to 1450 MHz, while the even transponders are accessed in the frequency range of 1650 to 2150 MHz. ..."

In no doubt of my mind 59 is definately not good, however I know of some that have used 59 on Dish Pro Plus equipment worry free for quite sometime.

Splitters will cause a odd or even in the check switch as well.

Why did I get the same issue running the supplied RG-6 directly to the receiver.

The ONLY way we were able to get the checkswitch to read 119/110 at all was using a splitter, single line in-single line out, to the receiver. If we do a straight shot it would not recognize or show (4) satellites with no reception.

I am 40 min. one way from a retailer, so got a brand new DishNow system to self-install instead of the $150 additional they wanted. How about a solution instead.

i could get a signal of 120 on the 119 satellite alone, so how could RG-59 be such a problem...remember...non-satellite-techno newbie here.

Why did I get the same issue running the supplied RG-6 directly to the receiver.
If the run was uninterrupted, then you have a component malfunction as I suggested in an earlier post.
I am 40 min. one way from a retailer, so got a brand new DishNow system to self-install instead of the $150 additional they wanted.
Different markets are handled differently. My market regularly sees installers travelling upwards of 50 miles away.
i could get a signal of 120 on the 119 satellite alone, so how could RG-59 be such a problem...remember...non-satellite-techno newbie here.
Satellite signal and LNB power are two different things. The LNB requires DC voltage to operate. RG59 can pass radio frequency signals easily (although not as easily as RG6), but its ability to pass direct current is relatively limited.

In any event, the RG6 test indicates that either your receiver or switch (or both) are malfunctioning and you'll need to get one or both of them replaced to proceed.

Does your RG59 cable appear to be stapled in, or can you move it back and forth?

Another option might be to go with legacy LNBs and switchgear if the RG59 is an absolute must. RG59 will haunt you at every move going forward; even if you change services.

The RG59 was installed when built about 11 years ago, scissor truss vaulted ceiling from front roof to Living room demising wall outlet with splitter then up & over to bedroom termination outlet, so caan't use as a pull wire for new RG6.

When you say "switch" is that the LNB?

Is there a way to test the LNB or receiver for malfunction?

I have installed using existing RG-59 and Dish Pro out of nescessity.. And I have never had a problem..

HAVE you removed the splitter you have in the line yet.. YOU CANNOT have a splitter in line between the dish and the receiver if there is anything attached to the other feed of the splitter.. It will cause you to only get ODD or Even transponders.. Just make sure you have a direct run from the dish to the receiver box.. And then rerun switch test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)