DishPro Plus 44 Switch Review

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
DishPro Dual LNB

Scott Greczkowski said:
I also found in the box from DishStore.NET 3 Dish Pro Plus separators and a DishPro Dual LNB (I am going to convert my dish at 61.5 from Legacy to DishPro technology)

Will they be offering an FSS DP dual LNB and will it fit in a standard D-type E* LNB arm?

Thanks

JohnDoe#2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
The Armpit of America
OK, I contacted someone I know in DISH's engineering dept. I won't mention his name because we are talking about an installation that E* will not support. (Hint: You've seen him on chats.)

When I first asked if the DP+44 would wokr with 61.5 & 148 he replied:
Unfortunately there are guide data conflict issues that create operational problems with the receiver if this combination is used. As such, it can not be offered as an acceptable combination.
This sounded like an "official" disclaimer to me rather than a technical, "No, it won't work."

So I told him how I currently have 61.5/110/119/148 hooked up with legacy eqmt and explained how I workaround the duplicate channel issue.
We currently have a legacy SW-64 switch connected to 119/110/61.5 cascaded with a SW-21 switch connected to 148. We can see all 4 dbs orbital positions and we are aware of the duplicate channels in the EPG that result. We can scan "up" through the duplicates but not "down" since the receiver defaults to 61.5 on them.

The simple work-around is to use the EPG or BROWSE feature to go past the duplicate or to manually "type" in the next lower channel number we may wish to tune in.
I asked if this was the issue and if in fact the DP+44 would work the same way, realizing that it was not a recommended or supported installation. Here's the response:
You will most likely experience the same behaviors. It might vary slightly, and could even vary slightly when using newer receivers. You could experiment but there are no definitive answers to your question due to this not being a supported configuration. You could also try hiding the duplicate channels using the locks feature to see if it helps.
So there you have it. It will probably work if you can put up with a few work-arounds but don't tell non-technical people to do it and don't call or email DISN Network with any issues you have. The CSRs and tech support people are just going to say it's the wrong thing to do.

boriquajake

Dec 1, 2003
Has anyone heard when the DishPro Plus twins will be available?

BTW this information is great! I am a retailer who sells more than 200 systems a month and I have learned a great deal from you guys. Scott, I have to say, though, that I am surprised you had to go to Radio Shack to get jumpers. If a knowledgeable customer like you came into our store I wouldn't charge you anything for jumpers, just to help you out.

Thanks

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Normally I wouldnt go to RadioShack for jumpers. :)

I wanted to get it hooked up quickly and my cable and crimpers were at my office.

DishPro twin is scheduled for the fall.

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
memphismafioso said:
If I have a 6'-10' run of the older RG59 in the wall between my RG6 drop from the Dish to the receiver am I "SOL" with the DP44+?
Lots of variables. If the total run was 10', you could get away with using a wet string. :D

The problem is the RG-59 is SO high loss. Is there any way to maybe barrel some RG-6 onto one end of the crappy stuff and pull it through???

memphismafioso

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 22, 2004
Los Angeles
I might be able to pull it. But I'm still left with another issue you covered but that no one has tried yet. If you can't diplex an OTA antenna feed then the benefit of the one cable run from the DP44+ is lost on me.

memphismafioso

May 22, 2004
Los Angeles
I need the OTA for HD. That's my whole issue right now. I'm buying an HD and I'm having trouble choosing between staying with Dish (921) and moving to DirecTV (HD Tivo). I would stay with Dish if I was doing a one-cable run (DP44+) but if I need to drill any holes for more cables I might as well have DirecTV come out and do a new pro install for free.

keitheva

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 21, 2004
DPP44 installation question

I currently have a quad legacy LNB with 4 receivers and no external switches, all is working fine (except 1 rcvr is offline because my 921 is now taking two of the 4 feeds). I am going to a DP Twin LNB plus DPP44 so I can feed the 921 with 1 cable and run my other 3 rcvrs.

I have never done any Dish work before so apologies if this is a dumb question:

- can I just swap the LNBs and install the switch and then run a check switch on each rcvr?
- or, do I have to do what the manual seems to imply which is to first connect each rcvr *directly* to the new LNB and do a check switch for each, and then install the DPP44 and run another check switch on each rcvr?

Thanks,
-Keith

jsa_sf

Dec 22, 2003
New York
DPP Separator "Doesn't work with the 921 or 721"

After several failed attempts to use a single feed from a DPP44 switch to a 921 unit using a separator near the unit, I was informed by a CSR that the code on the 921 and 721 does not support the separator yet, and that only the 322 and 522 support it at this time.

He said it would work in the future, but not now.

I'm curious how you got yours working, Scott? v1.86 does work with the DPP44 switch, but not the separator...

-j

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
I have 1.86 on my 2 921s and I am using separators on both of them with no issues, so I don't think the CSR is correct. Make sure that you are using short runs of RG6 between the wall, inserter, separtor and 921.

gowfo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 12, 2004
jsa_sf said:
After several failed attempts to use a single feed from a DPP44 switch to a 921 unit using a separator near the unit, I was informed by a CSR that the code on the 921 and 721 does not support the separator yet, and that only the 322 and 522 support it at this time.

He said it would work in the future, but not now.

I'm curious how you got yours working, Scott? v1.86 does work with the DPP44 switch, but not the separator...

-j

Hey Jsa_sf

Are you sure you have a separator and not a splitter, had a buddy scratching his head for a week trying to hook up a DPP44 to his 721 with a dish pro splitter. I stopped by to troubleshoot for him, and when I stopped laughing we got a Dish Pro Plus Separator ordered for him. :p

DPP Separator

DP Splitter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts