dishstandsbyyou gives you a great credit for fox dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seriously? How can the basic facts be this misunderstood at this point in the dispute?
Let's try again: the contract for FNC and FNB have expired. There has been no extension, so Dish cannot legally air the channels. Dish has reported and sources within Fix have been quoted as confirming that they agreed on price terms for FNC and FNB. However, Fox also is demanding that Dish let Fox out of the existing (and reportedly still valid for another year) contract for FS1 and FXX and pay more for those two channels. Dish told Fox to pound sand. No negotiations are ongoing at this time.

Seriously? How is that much different from the other disputes like disney?

Dish told them to pound sand then, and we, the customers, were without channels.

Fox has every right to ask. Dish has every right to say no. It's perfectly good way to negotiate.
Right, and that's where it should have ended. But Fox is still holding its breath (as you put it earlier) while Dish is saying no on the perfectly legal ground it stands. The other contract is still active, valid, and not set to expire yet. After the initial asking and denial, it shouldn't even be part of the equation anymore.

It's different because Fox is trying to break out of a different contract prematurely. They tried before when Speed and FSC were rebranded, and failed then, too.

Contract details are kept confidential, but it would be nice to have some real facts instead of all the he said/she said bs.

Either way, this is not the first and probably not the last. It needs to get settled.

The customers are the only losers.

I received 2 PPV credits today but I don't see a $50 credit anywhere. Where might that be listed? I also didn't get an email (yet). I only looked because others here said they noticed a PPV credit in their accounts.

Reactions: TheKrell
Au contraire. They would still make money. Plenty of money. It just won't be as much as when they ram their unwanted channels down our throats with these bundles of redundant channels showing repetitive programming.

You are mistaken. Distributors like Dish make so little on one channel that they'd have to charge you a lot to just make money on it. If everyone subscribed to six channels the cost to operate the network, the satellites, etc would be so costly. The satellite cost does not go down because you want only six channels, it just has to be allocated across less channels. In addition, no one would make any money on selling you those six channels that no one would enter the business in the first place.

Reactions: navychop

Dish told them to pound sand then, and we, the customers, were without channels.

How is it different from Disney? It's not really, except ESPN is the cream of the crop, and this is the one channel that consumers would leave in massive numbers over. FS1 is not the same as ESPN, period. And if I recall, Dish and Disney battled for a number of years. As part of the final resolution, Disney's legal matters were dropped as well.

You can cry all the way to the bank, but it does not change the fact that Fox created all the hoopla. It has also tried everything in its power to stick it to Dish in recent years.

Contract details are kept confidential, but it would be nice to have some real facts instead of all the he said/she said bs.

Either way, this is not the first and probably not the last. It needs to get settled.

The customers are the only losers.

Actually....we win....this keeps rates low, next time a channel tries to stong arm us, they'll remember what happened to Fox. This is a win-win all around. We have several news channels available and other outlets for news. We'll do just fine.

For ala carte... I am not saying it will never happen, but are we quick to forget that Dish has once offered a complete ala carte package. It was hugely popular. Customers LOVED it. Channel owners got mad... Channel owners now force bundling of channels in specific packages. The channel owners know how this will affect them, and do not want it any more than before. That all said, with the cord cutting, my prediction is they will release SOME content ala carte, but to be able to get all of it, you will need traditional pay tv. An example.... Unless something has changed, Dexter from Showtime was not avail on Netflix. You can find other Showtime shows on there, but could never find Dexter. Dexter was one of their most popular shows Ever. Why would it not be available ala carte(I am even talking past seasons.)

Reactions: navychop
You are mistaken. Distributors like Dish make so little on one channel that they'd have to charge you a lot to just make money on it. If everyone subscribed to six channels the cost to operate the network, the satellites, etc would be so costly. The satellite cost does not go down because you want only six channels, it just has to be allocated across less channels. In addition, no one would make any money on selling you those six channels that no one would enter the business in the first place.
You apparently fail to realize that Dish would also being paying less to the content providers for smaller bundles, as well.

For ala carte... I am not saying it will never happen, but are we quick to forget that Dish has once offered a complete ala carte package. It was hugely popular. Customers LOVED it. Channel owners got mad... Channel owners now force bundling of channels in specific packages. The channel owners know how this will affect them, and do not want it any more than before. That all said, with the cord cutting, my prediction is they will release SOME content ala carte, but to be able to get all of it, you will need traditional pay tv. An example.... Unless something has changed, Dexter from Showtime was not avail on Netflix. You can find other Showtime shows on there, but could never find Dexter. Dexter was one of their most popular shows Ever. Why would it not be available ala carte(I am even talking past seasons.)
Showtime is one of the few channels you can purchase a la carte. (Although, technically, it is a bundle of channels, albeit a very small and focused bundle.)

Showtime is one of the few channels you can purchase a la carte. (Although, technically, it is a bundle of channels, albeit a very small and focused bundle.)
Just an example. I know there are others out there, but since that is the only one I was dedicated to find, it is fresh on my mind. There are some that are in the bundles.

Fox has every right to ask. Dish has every right to say no. It's perfectly good way to negotiate.
I bought dish with fox news. Their contract gives them all the rights to pull any channel and change the lineup. I have the right to pay an etf. I guess most satellite and cable co. are the same.
Fox is using a tactic to get more for their crummy neyworks, by holding onto their popular one(s). Just like dish, cable, all the rest. You are refusing to see my point. Fox is using the same tactics.
"The right" poster-bring politics into a business discussion is a joke.

You keep skirting that Fox is not asking, they are denying any agreement unless DISH agrees to break a legal contact. My opinion it is exactly the kind of thing that might get Congress involved in how channels are negotiated and in fact I am waiting for the shoe to drop from DISH exploring legal action.

The only legal action I see is dish going after fox for their censor statement. However, I do not see that as being likely, more them using it to get the autohop lawsuit thrown out.

You are mistaken on that. The HD version of some (not the actual channel) were no longer available for the exact opposite reason of the Fox dispute. Disney, who won the case, said there was no contract for the HD version without paying more and indeed there was not one according to the Courts. Here there is without question a legal contract and FOX does not want to honor it. They are polar opposite situations.

Reactions: dare2be
An example.... Unless something has changed, Dexter from Showtime was not avail on Netflix. You can find other Showtime shows on there, but could never find Dexter. Dexter was one of their most popular shows Ever. Why would it not be available ala carte(I am even talking past seasons.)
Dexter is on Neflix, I watched some. I haven't watched any for maybe a month or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)