dishstandsbyyou gives you a great credit for fox dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exactly, just move on to another source for news. Why anyone would cancel because a news channel was lost is beyond me.

you wouldn't. i wouldn't. but a lot of people, especially retired people watch it for a good portion of the day because that's what they want to watch. another reason is simply because they're not getting what they're paying for.

The irony is that even if Dish did release numbers and they were much lower than some anticipated, they'd just say Dish is lying.
Dish could prove that the fuss about Fox News is exaggerated , very few cancelled. That would really burst Murdoch's bubble and show how unimportant FNC is to viewers. It would be a brilliant negotiating tool. As for putting out bogus numbers, Dish would be sued by its shareholders if Dish lied about them, and Fox would take them to be accurate.
Fox isn't allowing FNC to be broadcasted. Dish isn't blacking out Fox. Fox is the one using the black out as the negotiating tool. Dish isn't allowing Fox to strong arm them.

Dish just doesn't want to change details on the contract for channels not involved with the FNC contract. That'd set a bad precedent.

Tim Carry felt it necessary to make up a Dish cancellation number out of whole cloth to get media attention via Multichannel News while Charlie has been content to sit and wait for a phone call since December 20. That sure looks like Charlie figures he's got the upper hand to me. Advertisers getting antsy, Tim?

Reactions: KAB
Last time I checked, each person who cancels must be replaced by a NEW customer, costing $861. That is called churn.

You can no longer profit from a customer who has cancelled, that should be obvious.
Yes. They will no longer make the ~$5 per sub.
So, if it is indeed 90,000 subs who unsubscribed because of the Fox dispute, Dish is losing $450,000 per month because of it.

Do they need to replace cancelled subscribers? It would be nice. As a business, they need to replace any cancelled subscriptions, and also add new subscriptions in order to grow earnings and revenue.

But, with traditional cable and satellite subscribers shrinking, they can add new subscribers in new-technology areas, such as the new SlingTV services. FNC's demo, present company excepted, are generally not comfortable with these new technologies. But, that's a different discussion.

Dish could prove that the fuss about Fox News is exaggerated , very few cancelled. That would really burst Murdoch's bubble and show how unimportant FNC is to viewers. It would be a brilliant negotiating tool. As for putting out bogus numbers, Dish would be sued by its shareholders if Dish lied about them, and Fox would take them to be accurate.

Your move, Charlie.
If it was hurting Dish then Dish would be talking to them. But its not so they are not. It's only Fox putting out false numbers now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Exactly, just move on to another source for news. Why anyone would cancel because a news channel was lost is beyond me.

That's like saying "why would anyone want chicken when you can have pork". It's a matter of taste, a matter of personal choice. Of all our TV watching, at least 70% is (or was) Fox. There are shows and hosts I really miss, like Bill O'Reilly, Megan Kelly, Neil Cavuto and my #1 show, The Five.

It's been a couple of days since I got the email saying I got a $50 credit but it still hasn't shown up on my account. Knowing Dish, I'll believe it when I see it.

Just got an email that the $50 was received, cutting my monthly payment to $16.85 for the Top120 package.

Yes. They will no longer make the ~$5 per sub.
So, if it is indeed 90,000 subs who unsubscribed because of the Fox dispute, Dish is losing $450,000 per month because of it.

You try to make it seem like only $450,000 , but that is only lost profit. Taking your number of 90000 and if the bills average $100 , that is $9,000,000 in revenue that is lost. That is what affects the bottom line by covering the overhead before any profit is made.

You try to make it seem like only $450,000 , but that is only lost profit. Taking your number of 90000 and if the bills average $100 , that is $9,000,000 in revenue that is lost. That is what affects the bottom line by covering the overhead before any profit is made.
Good point!
But, the 90,000 is not my number. It's Fox's number.

Just remember, if it was really hurting Dish, they would have caved. They've been through this enough to know what it the outage costs. They are comparing these lost revenues to what their increased costs will be for various possible contractual increases.

If the major sticking point is indeed increased fees for channels already under contract (FS1), and Dish already agreed to Fox's asking price for FNC and FBN, then this particular outage truly is the fault of Fox. And, I'm shocked...SHOCKED that Fox is reporting this less than accurately.

Ummm. I dunno. Because they are in the middle of a negotiation? Just sayin'.

As I mentioned above, it looks like Charlie is in a negotiation hiatus since December 20. I won't put words in his mouth, but......

"When it gets to hot for you Tim, give me a call".

If they were only making a Net Profit of $4.74/month off each sub, and pretending the average bill was $100(It was reported as $87.xx), then they would have about $8,573,400 less in expenses based on your logic. That said, I understand there are other expenses that need covered, but the point here is the Fox News dispute is not causing harm to Dish, more than anything Dish planned for. They have a set expectation, and from reports Scott gave, it is less than those expectations.

Reactions: WXIK K-96
That's like saying "why would anyone want chicken when you can have pork". It's a matter of taste, a matter of personal choice. Of all our TV watching, at least 70% is (or was) Fox. There are shows and hosts I really miss, like Bill O'Reilly, Megan Kelly, Neil Cavuto and my #1 show, The Five.

It's been a couple of days since I got the email saying I got a $50 credit but it still hasn't shown up on my account. Knowing Dish, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, this is definitely the final straw for this household.

It has not been done, yet, but will be as soon as things are in order.

If they were only making a Net Profit of $4.74/month off each sub, and pretending the average bill was $100(It was reported as $87.xx), then they would have about $8,573,400 less in expenses based on your logic. That said, I understand there are other expenses that need covered, but the point here is the Fox News dispute is not causing harm to Dish, more than anything Dish planned for. They have a set expectation, and from reports Scott gave, it is less than those expectations.

And after three weeks that is probably true, but what happens if this goes on for a while? Most people will not jump ship right away, but will wait and hope to see it settled. What happens next month and the next when there is no $50 and people have watched all the CNN they can stand? This is bad for both companies and we will see who blinks first.

Reactions: Rusticus
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts