GEOSATpro Disk moving...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Airmail

Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Boulder, Colorado
Even after Firmware update GSPMHD_0.15_12052012 I still have that big slow Disk moving... sign hogging up the screen for 50 seconds. Ok, it is only 8 seconds but it's still there.
Good news in complete new set up with the latest Firmware update, I only got the smaller quick Disk moving... while doing the Antenna Setup. After that, it went back to the big slow Disk moving...
I have done what Sticky recommends when updating firmware. By the way, thanks for all you do Sticky. About the only thing left is to ask for help here and/or throw it at the wall and hope for quick repair.

Dish Moving is a necessary evil for ALI chipsets. If we shorten the function, folks with S-L-O-W dish motors will have scanning and recording issues.

Hint: Press the Exit Key at any time after the "Motor Moving" display appears to remove. The motor will continue to move to position.

Dish Moving is a necessary evil for ALI chipsets. If we shorten the function, folks with S-L-O-W dish motors will have scanning and recording issues.

Hint: Press the Exit Key at any time after the "Motor Moving" display appears to remove. The motor will continue to move to position.

I found out that "trick" by accident. How about a selectable motor moving display choice in setup preferences?

Yep I too got used to it a long time ago using openboxes. I didn't know till I asked Brian before and he said that it is hard coded with the ali chip sets.

Thanks for the input. Didn't mean to be critical about the microHD. It is a great little receiver and I have not had any problems with the two own.

No worries...If you don't ask you don't know.

this is probably stupid but the solomend s9, openbox, has the disk moving display until it sees signal. then it goes away. if it doesn't see signal it stays on the screen just like the microhd. only a couple of the openbox firmware do the 'go away when signal is there' trick. is it possible for the microhd to pattern after that feature of the openbox? that feature is on '03-21-11' firmware. that firmware is also the closest i've seen to the microhd firmware at present. charlie

Please provide a copy of this Openbox firmware file. We are not aware of the existence of this firmware or the ability of an ALI based receiver to "sense" the signal.

Before we start analyzing this code...
I need independent verification and additional information:

1. Does this Opensat firmware file only display the "Dish Moving" while the motor is in motion and disappears early if the tuned transponder (channel) displays a Signal Quality reading?

2. Does the "Dish Moving" display disappear early if Signal Quality reading is found in the menu screens? If so, which screens?

3. Does the "Dish Moving" display disappear early if Signal Quality reading is found in the channel viewing mode?

4. Does the firmware start blind scanning immediately, or does it wait until the dish has landed or the "Dish Moving" times out before starting the Blind Scan?

5. What is the regular time out period for the "Dish Moving" display if no Signal Quality reading is present?

Thank you for assisting and limiting "wild goose chases"! :D

I don't have an openbox set-up right now Brian or I would do some testing here to answer all your questions, since I am not doing a whole lot at the moment. I know there are a few on here that do though.
Anyway all I can answer from memory is YES to 1 and 3. :)

(2) the 'dish moving' goes away when using satellite setup where i can position the dish using diseq2 as soon as the signal shows up. it goes away moving the dish from 97w to 95w as soon as the new signal appears. i will be watching aljazeera and want to switch to cctv news on 95w. soon as the signal flashes on the display on the solomend, the moving dish goes away. (4)when doing a blind scan the dish moving stays there until it sees signal or gets to the satellite position. (5) when it does not see signal it stays on the screen the same time as the microhd if my memory serves me correctly. charlie

Sorry, really need exact answers to each question... If you are willing to test and reply, we will study the file and compare the implementation method.

Have too many projects open at this time to Invest research time without full confirmations and information to each point.

Thanks!

Thanks to Brian for even considering this "little project". I just hope this "feature" on the Openbox didnt go away because it hurt something else.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 2K using SatelliteGuys

Still need information on questions 2, 4 and 5. The questions were partially answered.

So far, the replies have established that in the regular viewing mode or in a motor setting menu, the "dish moving" disappears when a (valid???) signal is detected. This is simple and we have had this implanted in early development.

The problems occur primarily in two modes:

1. Channel Search modes when transponder scanning or channel logging starts before the motor has positioned the dish. This causes the blind scans to miss an entire frequency block or polarity and transponder searches to miss logging channels on the first preprogrammed frequencies.

2. DVR Timers do not execute because the motor has not landed.

In our previous tests, the original ALI firmware had issues with these two points and in reading other forums, it appears that current Openbox software still has problems in these two areas.

We modified the microHD firmware by default to allow a minimum 20 second delay before issuing a secondary scan or record command. This allows most motor movements to execute/complete prior to other operational commands being sent.

I don't feel confident that these operational issues have been considered in this firmware recommendation. If someone would confirm these points with the linked firmware, we will consider reviewing.

(2) the 'dish moving' goes away when using satellite setup where i can position the dish using diseq2 as soon as the signal shows up. it goes away moving the dish from 97w to 95w as soon as the new signal appears. i will be watching aljazeera and want to switch to cctv news on 95w. soon as the signal flashes on the display on the solomend, the moving dish goes away. (4)when doing a blind scan the dish moving stays there until it sees signal or gets to the satellite position. (5) when it does not see signal it stays on the screen the same time as the microhd if my memory serves me correctly. charlie

openbox s10 firmware(actually s9 firmware that works on the s10) dated 4-4-2011 was the last that did that also.
firmware after that date has the nag and you have to hit the exit button on the remote to get rid of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)