Disk Network comment....

PalaHeel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
They might be somewhat stealth in the way they disseminate information but at least they don't leave us disappointed at the "alter of promises." :D

They might be somewhat stealth in the way they disseminate information but at least they don't leave us disappointed at the "alter of promises." :D

Well, I wouldn't go throwing stones... :)

I have a feeling that D*'s HD channels will be up soon, which is fine, and then D* subscribers will be able to enjoy basically what we've had for some time now. While D* MIGHT have a few additional HD channels for a short time I'm sure E* will catch up.

Some people would rather anticipate, anticipate, anticipate, then get the channels all at once, later. Some would rather have the channels sooner. No big deal.

BOTH D* and E* subscribers have legitimate issues with their providers.

=NLK=

E* has done more then its fair share of promise breaking over the years so I would be careful about bragging.

I have a fair amount of sympathy for those D* subscribers, they've been jerked around for over 2 years only to be disappointed again. I'm sure they'll get their HD soon but it has to be frustrating.

It's funny how the 2 companies have basically swapped PR positions over the years. E* used to be the one making all kinds of public announcement about future plans and D* was the secretive one.

NightRyder

What I dont understand is why they have stuck with Directv for so long. Knowing that Dish has had a superior offering.

Some, no doubt, have a strong need for ST or their HD locals or some RSNs.

For most, however, it's the power of marketing and the human psyche. Would you rather dream about perfection "sometime in the future" or deal with flawed reality? If you subscribe to D* you can brag to all your friends about how, someday, you're going to have it all, flawlessly. You don't have to worry about explaining away problems because there CAN'T be problems with promises. :)

BTW: you can see this behavior in other areas. Fans of various sports teams (e.g. NY Jets) love to see young players/coaches on their teams so that they can dream about how great they'll be in the future while not having to worry about current failings.

=NLK=

Well, I wouldn't go throwing stones... :)

I have a feeling that D*'s HD channels will be up soon, which is fine, and then D* subscribers will be able to enjoy basically what we've had for some time now. While D* MIGHT have a few additional HD channels for a short time I'm sure E* will catch up.

Some people would rather anticipate, anticipate, anticipate, then get the channels all at once, later. Some would rather have the channels sooner. No big deal.

BOTH D* and E* subscribers have legitimate issues with their providers.

=NLK=

I have only been a subscriber since March 2007 and have felt, if anything, they are too closed mouthed about what they are doing. Right after I hooked up, Cinemax HD showed up with no warning. You must understand that was before I knew this board existed where I can get news, while it's still news, and not history. :)

My day will probably come, as it usually does with everything, but I am very happy with E,* as you folks refer to it. I have the "all everything" package and enjoy most all it offers, i.e. sports, movies, HD, local channels, etc. :up

I think DISH learned its lesson on revealing its plans before they were sure it would all work. Remember the SUPER DISH? IT was supposed to provide over 50 hd channels in mpeg 2 at 105 sat . That was before they noticed the footprint for 105 didn't reach all over the U.S.A. . Then they had to recant and use it for Locals in sd no less. The 121 superdish was used for locals and internationals . Now they are moving all internationals to 118.5 sat and ending the redundant mirroring of the internationals at 61.5 , 148, & 121 locations. The point is they no longer talk about specifics about hd and just turn it on . They issue the press statement once it is up and running.

The only forward statement we have heard of about DISH's future was in May at a team summit . Charlie talked about the new mpeg 4 service being started by next spring and that all channels , sd & hd will be in mpeg 4. All locals, sd, hd and internationals will be there on the new service and it can all be received by one 18" sat dish. They will have room for upto 100 hd local markets and 200 hd national channels. Now this was told at a public event but not issued in a press release so to speak. IF DISH doesn't do this by next spring I can imagine quite a few subs that will be just as angry as the DIrectv subs are now.

The only forward statement we have heard of about DISH's future was in May at a team summit . Charlie talked about the new mpeg 4 service being started by next spring and that all channels , sd & hd will be in mpeg 4. All locals, sd, hd and internationals will be there on the new service and it can all be received by one 18" sat dish. They will have room for upto 100 hd local markets and 200 hd national channels. Now this was told at a public event but not issued in a press release so to speak. IF DISH doesn't do this by next spring I can imagine quite a few subs that will be just as angry as the DIrectv subs are now.

Do you know if it was mentioned what orbital location it will be at?

Thanks.

Sean

This new service was based upon the launching of E11 and AMC14 by the end of 2007. Both of these launches have been delayed due to launch failures. Next spring is an unreasonable expectation now due to these delays. Next fall/winter is much more reasonable now.

ONly if they can't find a way to launch sooner can you expect the new mpeg 4 service delayed till next fall or winter. You never know with Charlie. He could get it launched sooner by another launch service or he could just move an existing spare satellite or two , that is already up there to the new sat locations rumored to be at 86.5 and 97. IF DISH waits till next fall or winter to get its entire mpeg 4 service up and running , and Directv does indeed get up to 100 -150 hd channels up there in the mean time, it might be all over but the fat lady singing. DISH can not afford to delay the addition of hd channels to compete with DIRECTV and it's supposed 150 hd channels. Charlie is always pulling a surprise out of his butt when you least expect it , remember VOOM additions? I can't imagine he is sitting on his thumb right now , letting the competition get the upper hand. Especially when he has said PUBLICLY , that DISH will remain the HD leader no matter what the competition has.

I have only been a subscriber since March 2007 and have felt, if anything, they are too closed mouthed about what they are doing. Right after I hooked up, Cinemax HD showed up with no warning. You must understand that was before I knew this board existed where I can get news, while it's still news, and not history. :)

My day will probably come, as it usually does with everything, but I am very happy with E,* as you folks refer to it. I have the "all everything" package and enjoy most all it offers, i.e. sports, movies, HD, local channels, etc. :up

Don't feel too bad, I'm hardly ever informed about channel additions, and I WORK for the damn company. I showed up at a customers house more than once, installed their HD system, did my usual customer education speel, and lo and behold, staring me in the face were several HD channels that weren't on MY 622 that morning. No warning. No mention in the morning meeting, no dish notes, nothing. I had to play it cool and pretend I knew all about it.

I would much rather get a suprise of new channels with little or no fanfare, than the promise of channels that dont even exist, and in some cases wont exist anytime in the forseeable future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)