Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

Just to clarify: there's a single ESPN app. That app is home to two things: the standalone ESPN+ streaming service (which you pay ESPN directly for, or pay through your app store such as Apple, Google, Roku, Amazon, etc.) as well as "TV everywhere" streaming from the ESPN cable channels. To get the latter, you will need to be subscribed to a cable TV package that includes the specific ESPN channels and then use that log in inside the ESPN app.

ESPN+ does NOT include the same content that airs on the cable ESPN channels. About the only exception to that rule is that, some weeks (not every week), ESPN's Monday Night Football streams on ESPN+ but with different play call announcers.

This is correct and no one seems to be comprehending this. ESPN+ will not allow you to watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News.

And to add, a lot of internet companies provide ESPN 3 access if your TV subscription doesn’t cover it.
IMG_9172.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

Reactions: NashGuy
Dish isn't necessarily making money unless Disney channels are out for a long time or never come back. I'm assuming (yes, I know) that if an agreement is reached, it will go back to cover from the end of the last contract (9/30).

Personally I'm guessing an agreement will be made by 10/14. I have absolutely nothing to back that up, just a guess.

Perhaps the contract will be backdated dated to 10/1 whenever it is signed, but I highly doubt Dish would pay Disney for channels that they were not allowed to broadcast.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Call me a 'never-streamer.' My internet service provider knocks me offline nearly every hour of the day at :52 past the hour, for anywhere from one to five minutes. This has been going on for over a year. They tell me it's a 'known node-related problem' and that they're 'working on it.' I'm not at all interested in a mandatory bathroom break once an hour. I also see absolutely no sense in paying another 'plus-plus-plus' service for something I'm already paying for but not receiving.

Bottom line: Disney (and all its plus-es) can go pound sand. Dish should compensate all subscribers over this. Five bucks, one time, is an insult.

ESPN+ does NOT include the same content that airs on the cable ESPN channels. About the only exception to that rule is that, some weeks (not every week), ESPN's Monday Night Football streams on ESPN+ but with different play call announcers.
Actually when it is on + also, they have 3 feeds, the same as ESPN, the Mannings and the Spanish Version.

Must be a contract issue why not all the Monday games are on ESPN+, all of the September Games were on, the next NFL game on + is DENVER BRONCOS VS. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
-- Sunday, October 30, 9:30 AM from London.

You could sign up for a month of the F1 TV at $3/mo to watch replays, $10/mo to watch live and gain access to F1’s archive of races. The F1 TV race coverage is Will Buxton and Jolyon Palmer; the International Feed has commentary by the SkySports crew you know from ESPN‘s broadcast.

Really?

You people are sorely misinformed. This isn't "Dish doing this", it's Disney doing this. Disney demanded that the channels be removed, not Dish. Disney wants an excessive hike in rates, not Dish. And every dispute, it's the same thing. If Dish pays that rate hike, every provider will expect the same when their contract is up, not to mention that price increase will go to the customers, not Dish.

Dish is friggin' fighting for YOU while people cry about missing channels, not to mention, in almost every case, the contracts end up getting done - other than Bally Sports and the Regional channels.

I can tell you as a 9 year tech, most subscribers would be more upset if they lost Hallmark and Grit than ESPN and FX

I think maybe you misunderstood my post, anyhow not to argue, I'm also on Dish's side with this. I understand the dispute, but I was just stating the fact I remember long ago, Dish was trying to get E$PN too not being crammed into every subscribers programming package, with the high cost of that channel being factored in.
which I agree with Dish that's unfair to those who don't want the channel to begin with. I'm think Disney is also trying its non negotiation tactic, too increase it subscriber base for Disney + or ESPN + , hoping that many Dish customers will sub to Disney streaming.

I woke up early to see if they were back for the F1 race. I just bought a new LG OLED and it came with a month of Fubo. Signed up and watched the race. So, I'm good for a month, if they're not back by then I think I'll give YouTube TV a try. The only things I care about on ESPN are college football and F1. The timing of this couldn't have been worse for me.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post, anyhow not to argue, I'm also on Dish's side with this. I understand the dispute, but I was just stating the fact I remember long ago, Dish was trying to get E$PN too not being crammed into every subscribers programming package, with the high cost of that channel being factored in.
which I agree with Dish that's unfair to those who don't want the channel to begin with. I'm think Disney is also trying its non negotiation tactic, too increase it subscriber base for Disney + or ESPN + , hoping that many Dish customers will sub to Disney streaming.

This is a huge incentive Dish offers, the ability to get the Flex pack w/o ESPN and offering locals ala carte. If you believe Dish, Disney is looking to eliminate both of these and wants their channels packaged into every subscriber's bills.

But if Dish admits that, it's easy to do the math that it's a whopping extra $3.50/month for a subscriber. That's little more than a penny a day.
Understand your point but not your math. $3.50/30 is not a penny a day is it? I come up with about 11 to 12 cents a day.

After an hour on the phone, then another hour waiting for the mydish support chat queue, I find out that losing ESPN channels / Disney channels / local ABC for an unknown period of time is worth $5. At least the chat rep let me know that they are hoping to have the channels back by the end of the month. :oops:

At least this gave me an opportunity to drop about $25/mo. in programming.

We weren’t paying for it because HBO was a separate add-on. If it had been included in a core package, we would have still been paying for it.
You do have a choice with Dish with the flex packages, ESPN is not in the flex core package.
We weren’t paying for it because HBO was a separate add-on. If it had been included in a core package, we would have still been paying for it.

Reactions: peggy97850
Understand your point but not your math. $3.50/30 is not a penny a day is it? I come up with about 11 to 12 cents a day.
If my numbers are correct, Disney wants an additional $1B per year from dish for the rights. Dish has 7.75M subscribers. If Disney gets its way and requires it on all packages, that amounts to an additional $129 per year per customer or about $10 p/m. I have no idea what it would cost for only those who wanted it.

At this point in the game, Charlie and Dish might as well just go all in. Get rid of ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Big Ten, etc.. get rid of sports completely. Sink or swim on being the leader in no sports. Just think how much Dish could lower your bill each month. Or more likely, keep your bill the same and state how they're looking out for YOU the customer.

Just saw an ad on ESPN stating that Dish/Sling no longer had ESPN. Didn't catch who was advertising it.
On the bright side... Directv Stream is working very well. I'm sitting here watching "The Bridge at Remagen" on MGM. Yeah, the channel Dish took off the air, saying it no longer exists. Though it is changing, along with Epix, in January.
2 very minor gripes about it. In the guide I can't figure out if a show is NEW or a re-run, and only 9 months for recorded material.

Reactions: dishdude
Nope, you're right. I did the math wrong.
If my numbers are correct, Disney wants an additional $1B per year from dish for the rights. Dish has 7.75M subscribers. If Disney gets its way and requires it on all packages, that amounts to an additional $129 per year per customer or about $10 p/m. I have no idea what it would cost for only those who wanted it.
You are correct that if they want an additional $1B/year, it comes out to about $10 more per sub per month. BUT, what do you have that says Disney wants $1B more PER YEAR? The Dish recording just says "Disney wants $1B more." Are you assuming the "per year" or have you read that somewhere? Historically Dish has claimed "<Provider> wants $x more". But they never say whether it's for a year or the term of the contract.

$1 billion annually breaks down to about $83 million per month. Divide that by the 14 million customers Dish had last quarter and you’re looking at a $5.95/month increase. That’s about what Dish increases prices to every year anyway.

Nope, you're right. I did the math wrong.

You are correct that if they want an additional $1B/year, it comes out to about $10 more per sub per month. BUT, what do you have that says Disney wants $1B more PER YEAR? The Dish recording just says "Disney wants $1B more." Are you assuming the "per year" or have you read that somewhere? Historically Dish has claimed "<Provider> wants $x more". But they never say whether it's for a year or the term of the contract.
I'm just going off bits and pieces I've heard about the impasse. I am not directly evolved with the contract negotiations. My WAG is just as valid as anyone's I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts