Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

So quit Dish. I'm sure they'll be shattered

They won’t be shattered by me quitting. But they’re slowly bleeding out and this is a pretty big gash. But when Dish is gone I’ll still have a job. You’ll have to go troll some other forum while you’re doing installs for another dying company.

BuT hE kNoWs HoW tHiS wOrKs...

I know exactly how this works. I also know that management was pressuring their sales reps to encourage price locks for no apparent reason at all. Because you know, there is a gag order and no one internally knew this was going to happen.

I think maybe you misunderstood my post, anyhow not to argue, I'm also on Dish's side with this. I understand the dispute, but I was just stating the fact I remember long ago, Dish was trying to get E$PN too not being crammed into every subscribers programming package, with the high cost of that channel being factored in.
which I agree with Dish that's unfair to those who don't want the channel to begin with. I'm think Disney is also trying its non negotiation tactic, too increase it subscriber base for Disney + or ESPN + , hoping that many Dish customers will sub to Disney streaming.
It is getting to the point that a lot of services will be way too high for the average person. People only have so much money.

espn.jpg

And with any luck, the individuals on both sides who allowed this to happen will be fired. Or, if they are too high up to be fired, severely reprimanded.

Dish touched the third rail of satellite television. It found out that it simply cannot do without sports programming from ESPN during football season. The disaster of the phone lines melting down over the weekend was evidence enough of that. I'm one of those who managed to get through and now has a disconnect order to cancel before Friday. THIS was the blackout that Dish could not afford...at any price.

Disney may have gotten the money it wanted, but at a cost. It discovered that there indeed is a vendor for its product that WAS willing to do without ESPN and damn the consequences. If Dish had gotten away with this, then one of Disney's great cash cows might have fallen. Imagine ESPN not bringing in enough money to bid on the multi billion dollar contracts that are necessary in today's college and pro football markets. Disney would have ceded its position as the leading sports vendor to Fox, with disastrous consequences for the entire company. THIS was the blackout that Disney could not afford...at any price.

They both blinked....and just a moment before they killed the golden goose.

My ABC news is back on it’s supposed to rain the next 3 days please turn it back of Disney so I could live in a fantasy that it’s always sunny in Philadelphia:) Rum Ham .

If they were this close I don't understand why Disney made DISH pull the stations while talks were on going.
If they were that close, then someone at Disney made a HUGE error.

But perhaps they weren't...and are NOT...that close. The consequences for BOTH of them are just too dire to let a blackout go forward. If so, that will be an excellent lesson for both to learn.

And no, Scott, please do NOT close this topic. This is a blackout unlike any other and needs to be discussed.
Agree. But what I would like to see is these multiple threads merged. What do we have now? 3? I started a 4th (at position 2) and successfully got a mod to delete it.

Last edited:
I know exactly how this works. I also know that management was pressuring their sales reps to encourage price locks for no apparent reason at all. Because you know, there is a gag order and no one internally knew this was going to happen.
Pressuring for price locks has been going on for a while now and has nothing to do with this, but like I said it would, it got resolved so you can put your Kleenex away now

Reactions: charlesrshell
And with any luck, the individuals on both sides who allowed this to happen will be fired. Or, if they are too high up to be fired, severely reprimanded.

Dish touched the third rail of satellite television. It found out that it simply cannot do without sports programming from ESPN during football season. The disaster of the phone lines melting down over the weekend was evidence enough of that. I'm one of those who managed to get through and now has a disconnect order to cancel before Friday. THIS was the blackout that Dish could not afford...at any price.

Disney may have gotten the money it wanted, but at a cost. It discovered that there indeed is a vendor for its product that WAS willing to do without ESPN and damn the consequences. If Dish had gotten away with this, then one of Disney's great cash cows might have fallen. Imagine ESPN not bringing in enough money to bid on the multi billion dollar contracts that are necessary in today's college and pro football markets. Disney would have ceded its position as the leading sports vendor to Fox, with disastrous consequences for the entire company. THIS was the blackout that Disney could not afford...at any price.

They both blinked....and just a moment before they killed the golden goose.
OR Disney realized they just lost 10's of millions of viewers that weren't seeing their advertisers that pay for their ads to be seen.....

If they were this close I don't understand why Disney made DISH pull the stations while talks were on going.
Exactly! I looked back just to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering something, but the last time there was a Disney renewal back in 2013 (contract expired on Sept 30, 2013), Dish/Disney did 5+ months of short term extensions until the agreement was announced in March 2014. During that time, no channels were removed as they were talking.

Now if they have a handshake deal, the only question I have is when the final announcement is done, will Dish finally have Disney XD, Disney Jr, and Longhorn Network in HD? (Longhorn Network in HD full time, not just for games). I think those were the only ones Dish don't have in HD from Disney where an HD feed is offered. They are in HD through the Dish Anywhere app as well as on SlingTV.

Exactly! I looked back just to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering something, but the last time there was a Disney renewal back in 2013 (contract expired on Sept 30, 2013), Dish/Disney did 5+ months of short term extensions until the agreement was announced in March 2014. During that time, no channels were removed as they were talking.

Now if they have a handshake deal, the only question I have is when the final announcement is done, will Dish finally have Disney XD, Disney Jr, and Longhorn Network in HD? (Longhorn Network in HD full time, not just for games). I think those were the only ones Dish don't have in HD from Disney where an HD feed is offered. They are in HD through the Dish Anywhere app as well as on SlingTV.
I don't think you're going to see LHN in full time HD on Dish at all. It's about to be folded into SEC Network when Texas enters the conference. No, this isn't official, but can you see the other SEC schools allowing LHN to continue as a separate revenue stream for Texas?

Reactions: charlesrshell
OR Disney realized they just lost 10's of millions of viewers that weren't seeing their advertisers that pay for their ads to be seen.....
Oh, that's part of it as well. But both have, in the past, shown that they are more than willing to cut off channels and sacrifice eyeballs. I am hopeful that THIS time they quickly figured out that there are some channels you simply cannot drop, especially with no notice as Dish did this time. ESPN is, in effect, holding both Dish AND Disney hostage. Dish needs the programming...and Disney needs the income.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts