Display upcoming saved prime time anytime recordings in daily schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Andredarryl

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Hartford
Hi, all. Quick question, and I apologize if this has been discussed. I am new to the Hopper. I just enabled Prime Time Anytime. However, I would like to save various permanently to the DVR. I figured that part out by selecting "save." However, there is no indication in the daily schedule that these select shows I am saving are coming up. It only says "Prime Time Anytime." It would be nice to know that, let's say I chose America's Got Talent, that a new episode is coming up in a few days -- much in the same way I can any non-major network show like Breaking Bad. Thanks for any input. ... Oh, and PS: my "What's Hot" button is not displaying any results, either. Does that take time? I have only had the Hopper a few hours.

I'm new to the Hopper as well, but I believe if you just select "save" you're only saving that episode that's already been recorded. Selecting "save" from PTAT simply ensures that one episode is not deleted after 8 days with the rest of PTAT. If you want to save upcoming episodes, I believe you need to be choosing "save series" (or something like that). I'm not at my Hopper at the moment, so I can't specify precisely the words that are used.

Right on. I get that part. I can save a series or a single episode. My question is whether there is a way to see in your daily schedule that these episodes or series are coming up. So in other words, it would be great to see saved shows, a la America's Got Talent, NCIS, etc. in the daily schedule (assuming you've saved them beyond the allotted eight days) instead of a single PrimeTime anytime entry. Does that make sense?

Right. 'Save' just saves the current episode, 'Save Series' will set a timer to save the entire series including upcoming ones.

And yes, it does take a few hours for everything to populate correctly, generally figure the next day should have it all.
?

About seeing what is going to be recorded in those 'saved series', well it doesn't show up anywhere automagically.

I think you can see them if you look at the 'timer schedule' for each of the timers 'save series' creates. I'm not sure and I don't have any set now.
?

You have to show skipped because any new PTAT program that will be saved to your recordings will show as skipped with the reason of being a PTAT event.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Ok, I am getting used to the hopper but have two more questions:

Does PrimeTime Anytime tape original and reruns? Is there any way for it to just tape new episodes?
Also, if you disable PrimeTime Anytime, do you now have access to a third tuner to tape a third show? Or is that dedicated only to PrimeTime Anytime?

I'm not a power user of the Hopper, yet, but this is what I believe to be true:

1. PTAT records everything on the big 4 networks during prime time (new episodes, reruns, specials, etc.) The only things about PTAT that you can modify are which networks and which nights. Otherwise, you cannot specify individual episodes or reruns vs. new episodes.

2. Yes, you free up a tuner in order to record a third show. However, you don't have to have PTAT active every day of the week. For instance, you can narrow PTAT to record just one network on one night.

Additionally, it is my understanding that you do not have to have PTAT enabled in order to take advantage of the third tuner's ability to simultaneously record any and all of the big 4 anytime (prime time or otherwise).

If you want to have Auto-Hop capabilities, it is only available if PTAT is enabled and only available on select prime time episodes.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I thought that the only thing that turning on PTAT for at least 1 channel 1 night, was AutoHop?

The recording of any or all of the 4 networks anytime using 1 tuner would work whether PTAT was turned on or off?

Am I mistaken?

You probably realize this already but just in case, if you just watch PTAT from the PTAT folder it captures everything whether new or rerun. But if you save it as a series you can specify new etc. just like any recording. But you are correct you won't see it in the daily schedule unless you unhide skipped shows as was previously mentioned but then you get everything that is skipped. This can be a pain if you watch any shows on a station such as USA which repeats shows several times during the week.

The way it was explained in a previous thread, you're not really saving it until the 8 days have passed. During the 8 days the "saved" copy just acts like a pointer or a bookmark. That is why you can technically keep watching into the next show if you watch a saved show during the first 8 days. You also can't copy a saved show to an EHD during that time.

Gottcha. So to be clear (and I am not home so I can't verify), if I unhide skipped shows, I will see the saved PTAT shows in the daily schedule?
As for saved shows, I noticed that (for example, America's Got Talent) showed up in PTAT and as a "regular" saved show on my DVR. So I think you are technically saving right away -- unless I am misunderstanding you.

You will see an icon just like a regulary saved show but it is not physically there (not sure if that is technically the correct phrasing) until the PTAT period has passed.

You will see an icon just like a regulary saved show but it is not physically there (not sure if that is technically the correct phrasing) until the PTAT period has passed.
Interesting. So, are you saying that 1 hour into PT, I can't watch a PTAT episode that's already been recording for an hour? (I understand I could tune to it with one of the other tuners, but I did not realize I can't access PTAT episodes until PT is over.

No that isn't what I meant. If you save it (separate from the whole PTAT folder that saves every show) it doesn't make a separate physical copy in your non-PTAT folders or general DVR space. You can still watch it while it is recording but you are technically watching from the PTAT folder. IIRC I think the reasoning was because there was dedicated space on the HD for PTAT and it would have been a waste to use the space twice. So if you save a PTAT show in the first 8 PTAT days the space is used on the PTAT area and if you keep it after that it deletes from the PTAT area and is now using space in your regualr HD area.

Hope I explained that better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)