DISTANT NETS ON DISH

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
It looks as if Dish will be able to get into the distant net business once again. When they are able, what will this mean for AAD? Will you be able to get distant nets with Dish even if your locals are available? Will you be able to apply for waivers? And if Dish gets back into distant nets, where will they come from? New York and L.A. or somewhere else?

:confused:

Were did you hear this?

Will it be the same east/west locals we used to get?

I used to like the LA stations. The local news was a hoot. People in LA are crazy compared to Tennessee...I like it!

Currently SHVERA has been extended through the end of this month. The reauthorization which would let DISH back in was tied to the jobs bill in the Senate.

The jobs bill however is up in the air right now and Congress is out of session this week. So none of us can say we KNOW what will happen. To be honest I expected to see threads predicting the end of the superstations which are also affected by all this. I am a little surprised to see speculation in this direction.

From what I understood Dish is only going to be importing locals from neighboring markets to fill in those 1 & 2 local DMA's

Thats why in the last uplink you saw markets like Glendive, MT (one local), Mankato, MN (1 local + subchannel), Presque Isle, ME (1 local + subchannel), ALpena, MI (1 local +PBS) and Parkersburg, WV (1 local + subchannel) get uplinked. Dish didnt do that for giggles ;)

So will AAD still be available if Dish only can import distant nets from neighboring makrets? I would think they would considering that their are truckers and RVers out there.

It should still be available for a while. But with DISH and Charlie are concerned there is no guarantee that it will stay that way. Charlie has a way of getting out of contracts when it is convenient for him to do so. Remember the VOOM hd pack deal?

And since AAD (actually they are NPS) are in bed with Charlie (NPS is a C-Band provider who gets bounties for converting people now to Dish) Charlie can do what he wants with them.

Currently SHVERA has been extended through the end of this month. The reauthorization which would let DISH back in was tied to the jobs bill in the Senate.

The jobs bill however is up in the air right now and Congress is out of session this week. So none of us can say we KNOW what will happen. To be honest I expected to see threads predicting the end of the superstations which are also affected by all this. I am a little surprised to see speculation in this direction.

I read that the "SHVERA" section was deleted from the jobs bill right before the recess, so no one knows how they will get this done now.

Exactly. At this point everyone is speculating based on what they think they have heard somewhere.

Were did you hear this?

Will it be the same east/west locals we used to get?

I used to like the LA stations. The local news was a hoot. People in LA are crazy compared to Tennessee...I like it!

As an LA resident, I have to agree with you. The funny thing is we in LA really do criticize our TV news as being alarmist, fixated on stupid lifestyle pieces and endless coverage of high-speed pursuits. We really do think that we have the WORST local news--the KTLA Morning News drives me nuts. However, the masses love the high-speed pursuits as they are huge in the ratings. The only time our local news truly excels is in live disaster coverage of fires, earthquakes, riots, large scale police/crime activity, our many train wrecks and other tragedies. There just aren't any finer group of reporters, and producers anywhere covering live disasters, and I have seen other cities local news attempting the same, but the anchors are sometimes annoying and confused.

I admit, that if I am bored, the LA local news has provided me far more drama and Machiavellian politics--now the Mayor of LA is being booed anywhere he goes, another mayor has declared his a "Christian city," while yet a councilman of a different suburb referred to himself as a "proud racist"--than any fiction I can find on all of the channels available on Dish Network. Of course, those offended have made their feelings known. Not a boring city.

Last edited:
So, has the old SHIVRA been extended the one year? I never did find out if the proposed new legislation passed or Congress extended what was the current law for one year to work on a new SHIVRA.

No SHVERA was extended through the end of February. See Post # 3 in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)