DIY UHF/VHF Combiner?

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Has anyone played around with making a UHF/VHF combiner? I can't seem to find any info for building one.

Combining two RF signals, most times a splitter would work for this purpose. You could add some hi-pass and/or lo-pass filters if necessary.

Combining two RF signals, most times a splitter would work for this purpose. You could add some hi-pass and/or lo-pass filters if necessary.
Neither station ch 7 and ch 36 have their final antenna configuration yet, the promise is the Aug 1 to Sep 1 time frame. I tried a splitter but too much loss for now. I am thinking of opening the splitter and converting it into a tee to see what happens. I think a splitter may work after they optimize, I just wanted to play with it a bit in the interim.

I tried a splitter but too much loss for now. I am thinking of opening the splitter and converting it into a tee to see what happens. I think a splitter may work after they optimize, I just wanted to play with it a bit in the interim.
If all you're trying to do is combine input from a VHF antenna and input from a UHF antenna, you're using the wrong tool for the job. You want a UVSJ, not a standard splitter/combiner. A UVSJ should have about 0.5 dB of loss compared to something like 3.5 dB for a splitter.

Sure one can buy one, but where's the fun? One can buy a shelf or bookcase, but I still enjoy building my own as I did the base for my HDTV.

Neither station ch 7 and ch 36 have their final antenna configuration yet, the promise is the Aug 1 to Sep 1 time frame. I tried a splitter but too much loss for now. I am thinking of opening the splitter and converting it into a tee to see what happens. I think a splitter may work after they optimize, I just wanted to play with it a bit in the interim.

Is this true for all areas, or just yours? Most of the complaints I have read about are poor reception for channel 7.

It would be nice to hear that their is a problem across all areas and a possible solution is being worked on.

Well, I understand what you're saying about the fun factor, but this will take as long as a bookcase to build, and cost nearly as much in parts as a finished unit would cost. For a $3 part with $7 shipping, the piece of mind that it will actually work is worth more than the bragging rights.

I gave up and decided to order one for 79 cents but discovered that shipping was $7.99. I can afford it but it's silly to pay that when actual cost is less than a dollar. My latest thought based on Larry1's post is to open my old Radio Shack plastic antenna with a VHF dipole on the back and use its combiner.

I may open my leftover Dish 301 receiver to see if I can disable the power hungry circuits and use it as a remote controlled AB switch.

Attachments

• 2504507720208080_1.jpg
    2504507720208080_1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 734
I installed the UVSJ prior to the amp and its insertion loss dropped me one or two bars on signal strength for channel 36. I can't receive channel 7 until WSPA installs a new tower so I won't know until August or September. Chennel 36 is going to replace its antenna, maybe at a higher elevation in the same time frame so that may add bars. It's now wait and see, which I am not good at.

I installed the UVSJ prior to the amp and its insertion loss dropped me one or two bars on signal strength for channel 36. I can't receive channel 7 until WSPA installs a new tower so I won't know until August or September. Chennel 36 is going to replace its antenna, maybe at a higher elevation in the same time frame so that may add bars. It's now wait and see, which I am not good at.

Lets all hope for the best. Boruch Hashem. Git Shabbos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)