DMS Vbox 7 Transformer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't feel bad Lone... The last electronic device I 'fixed' hasn't worked since. ;)
:facepalm

Yeah, I'm afraid that might be the case here. I can't ever remember soldering anything on a board before. Only positive note is that they are pretty large and there's nothing else close to them.

And on that note, since I've already ordered the OEM diodes, I just better concentrate on trying to fix this one rather than modifying it not knowing whether something else might be horked up or not.

Ebay shipping says that those diodes won't get here until Monday of next week so I'll update after I get them.

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys.

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
Got those diodes yesterday and put them in this morning. One of them had a problem on the underside (circuit side) and the gold was gone around the hole in the board? So, I took the long end of that diode and actually soldered it to another connection about a half inch over. It looks like crap but I think it will work OK. I haven't put power to it yet because I need a 2a fuse for the 38v circuit. The original one is blown and the other controller I have has a 5a fuse in it so I can't use that one. Going to have to go to town Monday to get fuses I guess as there's nothing to be had out here in the country.

Will let you know when I actually get to test it.

Well, my darling Wife went by the Electronics parts store while she was in town today and bought me some fuses for this Vbox 7 I've been working on. They had a 3.15 fast acting fuse so she got a box of those.

I set it up on the desk here and ran that Super Jack with it a few times while checking the temps of stuff with my infrared heat gun and nothing seemed to be over heating. Then I connected it to my Winegard dish and proceeded to make East lock to West lock runs with it and after 3 of those I checked temps again and the hottest thing I saw was two of the downstream diodes were at 105*f. But before I could get all the sats programmed in a storm came up and EVERYTHING got disconnected!!

So my "rig" job on that diode where the gold was missing on the board seems to be working, for now!

:everybodydance

So now I guess I ought to pull out that pie of Vbox X controllers and see if I can salvage one of those?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts