dmx 741 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
well i went out and tried to lock in 97w for the first time. i am using 39" dish from wsi and dmx 741 lnb with the c/ku connected. i have the coolsat 6000. i couldnt get any signal. (probably the trees here in Maine) but i'm moving to the roof this week. what i wasn't sure was i had the dmx set at vertical and not horizontal in the coolsat menu. i had the lnb on, switch turned on, and tried 10750 and 10600 for lnb setting for 97w. my lat and long location is 44.5758 and -68.7745. i used a compass for mag azim of 234.4 and lnb skew of 25.6 which i tries clockwise and counter clockwise. oh and elev was set at 31.5. any help with the h or v setting and anything i should try from info above i would really appreciate it.

Given your coordinates, I can confirm your magnetic azimuth, elevation, and skew.
Skew will mean twisting the LNBF 25° clockwise, if you are standing BEHIND your dish (or the other way if you are in front of your dish, on the LNB side).
See below for how how to set up several common dual-band LNBFs for zero skew.

LO on the "u" model is 10600, but if you have the DMX741 without the "u", then it's 10750.

A picture showing how you mounted your LNBF would be helpful.
However, in many cases, the large diameter feedhorn will be centered a bit above where the Ku LNBF would normally be located.
This tends to inject a bit of vertical offset, so you should compensate by aiming the dish a bit ... higher !

Of course, the focal length may be somewhat off from what you are expecting, so give that a try.
In fact, if this is your first shot with the new LNBF, you might try a really hot bird, just to get started.
Maybe one of the pay satellites, and use a $10 sat meter.
It'll respond to the high powered DBS signals (or at least I've found that to be so).

edit:
Oh, one last thought. The DMX741 has a switch, and it's different in the "u" model.
Take that out of the equation for initial tests.

Anole pix of skew for CK-1 and BSC-621 LNBf's
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1281374-post50.html
[09:19] <Anole> Fred - how do you orient the DMX741 at TS ?
[09:19] <Linuxman> you can put the 0 line at either north or south
[09:20] <Linuxman> it has a plus or minus 10 degrees off center if i remember correctly
Iceberg and skew of C2:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/186011-setup-geosat-pro-c2.html#post1939026

pics of the problem, I think

thanks Anole for the information. i tried what i could today. i moved the location but i included pics of the l.o.s.. i was trying to get it to work on the ground without going to the roof. i took the little tv and receiver out to try to dial in 97w and no luck. i tilted the dish up and down. moved it back and forth from my mag declination. turned the lnb counterclockwise in front of the dish. each time itried on thing or another when putting the rest at the exact specs and couldnt lock anything. the pole was plumb when i mounted it and when the dish was on it. are the trees just to high even if i take it on the roof??? oh and i tried it just with ku and not combined on one try then jumpered on the second.

Attachments

• DSCF0695.JPG
    DSCF0695.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF0696.JPG
    DSCF0696.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 172
You are working with a lot of unknowns all at one time.
Can you put on a stock Ku LNB and get something?
Is this the first time you've played with a Coolsat 6000?
Is this your first experience with that dish or this location?
Hard to tell from the pix, but your LOS looks terrible. :)
You need something easy to give you a foundation to start from.
If that means aiming an old DirecTV dish at 101°, 110°, or 119° circular, just to see it light up, then maybe that'd be a good step.

Outbackjack
I would recommend that you do not use that particular LNB until you get more experience in satellite alignment. I can tell you that it is very hard to adjust the KU portion of that LNB and the C-band is also hard to align for that size dish.

I gave up trying to use that LNB to do C-band & KU together, matter of fact I have unscrewed the KU portion of the LNB and use it separately.

I would suggest you use a KU Standard or Universal LNB only to start out with. Also I mount the LNB holder into metal rod. (see picture)

Here is picture of my setup for C-band, I’m pointing at 72W and just about get a c-band signal off of that satellite. I use a KU Invacom Universal LNB on my set up check out the pictures below.

Don’t get discouraged it takes time to get your first dish set up. It took me 5 full days working at it. You can get alot of help and advice from this site.
Good Luck
Mikelib

Attachments

• 2009_1026_dish_0005.JPG
    2009_1026_dish_0005.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2009_1026_dish_0004.JPG
    2009_1026_dish_0004.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 2009_1026_dish_0003.JPG
    2009_1026_dish_0003.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 2009_1026_dish_0002.JPG
    2009_1026_dish_0002.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 2009_0522_signals40009.JPG
    2009_0522_signals40009.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 245
Hi Jack I agree with Mike a 100%

I also have the DMX741U & found is very difficult to get both C & Ku. You can pick up a good LNBF pretty cheap & get a lot of free TV with it.

I just bought a this one, Chaparral Heavy Duty Universal LNB and I am excited to get it. I would recommend a standard LNBF for your first instead of a universal

I think once you get the dish up & running you can play with the C band & see what you get, but honestly 39 inches is too small for C. You really need to start with a 6 footer & then HD can get choppy

Thanks for all the help Anole, mikelib and Auric. yes Anole it is the first time for this dish. i was the one that got the patriot dish for a buck but after almost breaking my back (and the cinder block i was standing on) trying to assemble it i went with the 39" dish. i will use the ku that came with the patriot and see what i can get. i put up a couple pizza dishes before but i know that ku is a lot harder to get than direc. my old direc dish is at the corner of my house on the roof. thats prob where this one will have to go before the snow starts. thanks again guys for all the help. i will let you know how it goes.

That Chaparral LNB Works Well

Hi Jack I agree with Mike a 100%

I also have the DMX741U & found is very difficult to get both C & Ku. You can pick up a good LNBF pretty cheap & get a lot of free TV with it.

I just bought a this one, Chaparral Heavy Duty Universal LNB and I am excited to get it. I would recommend a standard LNBF for your first instead of a universal

I think once you get the dish up & running you can play with the C band & see what you get, but honestly 39 inches is too small for C. You really need to start with a 6 footer & then HD can get choppy
I picked up the same LNB off of e-bay and I use it almost every day on a 500 Dish. It works extremely well. It does not have any skew marks on it and the guy I bought it from marked the 0º mark with a black marking pen. Check out pic’s below.

Attachments

• 2009-1019_Dish0003.JPG
    2009-1019_Dish0003.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 2009-1019_Dish0001.JPG
    2009-1019_Dish0001.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 2009-1019_Dish0004.JPG
    2009-1019_Dish0004.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 2009-1019_Dish0005.JPG
    2009-1019_Dish0005.JPG
    533.9 KB · Views: 183
I tried using my DMX741U with my 39 in dish and could not get anything on Ku/C. This lnb is designed primarily for prime focus dish. If you are using it on a smaller 39in dish it might work however after extensive reading on the forums you would need a scaler ring or make adjustment on the satellite arm (lenghten it) because it is an offset dish and the focus would be off.
Better buying a cheap Ku lnb for less than $10. I did that and get all signals in the 90% with my 39in dish on Galaxy 19 (97 W).
Incidentally I thought my DMX741U was defective, until I used it on my 6 ft Polar Mount Dish. Excellent performance in C/KU Linear & Circular, especially for the price.

yep, thats what i'm waiting for in the mail. i have an old ku that i will be trying this weekend. and if that doesnt work then when the new one comes i'll try that one. i purchased the conical scaler but i'm to inexperienced i think to get it working. so i am going to switch to the old ku. it's a shame for my l.o.s. because i have a patriot dish just sitting in the garage and now the c/ku just sitting also. oh well maybe one day for them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts