Do all HR44's have ths same caller ID problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That depends. Does the D receiver work with VOIP phones? If so a very large percentage of households still have home phones just not the traditional ones. My DISH receiver does, as does my In-Laws Brighthouse receiver.
Large %? What do you consider a large% maybe 1 out of 5 on the high end still has home phone service, half of that number has a jack next to the stb.

Waaaay more than that. In fact, of everyone I know where I live in Fl all have a home phone, either traditional or VOIP. In Ct a few younger people living on their own do only have Cell phones, those in dorms also, but the vast majority of our friends have a form of a home phone. If your thinking is 4 out 5 households only have Cell phones, I would say that very underestimated. I bet a high percentage of people with Cable have that Cable's VOIP home phone service and about 2/3 of households have some type of Home phone. Traditional has fallen way off, in fact phone companies are trying to phase them out.

Edit - 3 out five households have a Home phone.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ive-u-s-households-have-only-wireless-phones/

I am surprised to see that go - cell phone coverage just isn't reliable enough in areas near me so there are plenty of landlines.

Reactions: Tampa8
it's a software issue with the HR44, but only with certain phone companies.

When I had CentruyLInk for phone service had issues with caller id. For some reason they were interfacing with the DTV receiver. At that time my DTV bill was bundled with CenturyLink. A message would pop up saying if problems to call CL who knew nothing about their software issue. Finally after several attempts got to the right person and that feature was disabled. Now I'm using Straight Talk home unit (Verizon). It displays the call id number fine, but since a cell phone, no name is displayed.
Several years ago I had an issue with caller id not displaying any info. A web search turned up the recommendation to add a second dsl filter which fixed the problem.
Too bad the feature is being discontinued. I like it.

When I had CentruyLInk for phone service had issues with caller id. For some reason they were interfacing with the DTV receiver. At that time my DTV bill was bundled with CenturyLink. A message would pop up saying if problems to call CL who knew nothing about their software issue. Finally after several attempts got to the right person and that feature was disabled. Now I'm using Straight Talk home unit (Verizon). It displays the call id number fine, but since a cell phone, no name is displayed.
Several years ago I had an issue with caller id not displaying any info. A web search turned up the recommendation to add a second dsl filter which fixed the problem.
BTW I have a HR22, old, slow, been reliable and produces good quality pictures.

Received a new HR44 from DirecTV. Hate to loose all our recordings and still have the same caller ID problem.
What do you guys think? Hook up the new one or not?

Received a new HR44 from DirecTV. Hate to loose all our recordings and still have the same caller ID problem.
What do you guys think? Hook up the new one or not?
I don't know if I'd do it. If the feature is going away, you lost everything for nothing. How much do you have recorded, can you replace it with on-demand, those are questions only you can answer.

Like 50% of the drive is full of my wife's crap.
I just have the feeling that the new replacement is going to do the same exact thing. The new one is about 10 months newer but I don't that really matters.

It will almost certainly have the same problem. It's not just the HR44, it's the interface between the telco and your genie. Apparently all sorts of grounding issues, which is why it works for many people and not others, and why two HR44s can behave differently.
I certainly would not replace the HR44 just on the chance it might give you caller ID. I'm surprised DirecTv sent you a replacement.

Waaaay more than that. In fact, of everyone I know where I live in Fl all have a home phone, either traditional or VOIP. In Ct a few younger people living on their own do only have Cell phones, those in dorms also, but the vast majority of our friends have a form of a home phone. If your thinking is 4 out 5 households only have Cell phones, I would say that very underestimated. I bet a high percentage of people with Cable have that Cable's VOIP home phone service and about 2/3 of households have some type of Home phone. Traditional has fallen way off, in fact phone companies are trying to phase them out.

Edit - 3 out five households have a Home phone.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ive-u-s-households-have-only-wireless-phones/

Funny.....your comparing Florida?....Should I do that here in another retirement haven?.....Old people hate change thats the only reason it so high their!!!!!!

And my link..... They are majority not minority on this...... And yes, nothing should ever change for any reason for some... lol

New HR44 does the exact same thing. After 2 hours on the phone with Direct, I reactivated my original HR44.
I told the representative to send me the HR54 and he said that would be $299. :rolleyes I'll be living with the HR44 for at least another year.

New HR44 does the exact same thing. After 2 hours on the phone with Direct, I reactivated my original HR44.
I told the representative to send me the HR54 and he said that would be $299. :rolleyes I'll be living with the HR44 for at least another year.
So was this about fixing the caller id issue, or about getting the HR54? One of the first replies, from the other site, explained that the 54 didn't even have a phone jack, if the issue was the caller id not working, why were you asking about HD size, if it's better, etc? Seems like you wanted a 54 and this was the way to get one. Why not just say that and not waste everyone's time?

No, I wanted the caller ID to work properly. If I have to skip the caller ID feature mind as well go with the newer 54.
I'm just going to have to unplug the phone line to solve the problem. The caller ID works perfect on our old H25 receiver and thought it should do the same on the 44.
If I wasted your valuable time, sorry.

3rd party ?
ATT Owns them now, so ATT should still be able to offer it.
You have to have the service activated on your phone line already for it to work anyhow ...

I don't see where a 3rd party would be involved at all, all it is is a piece of software.
Ahh.."Should" and "Do".....The former is theory. The latter is reality.
Caller ID is bupkis. At least in my area dealing with a lot of older people in rural areas. Once thy saw that phone number light up for the first time on their TV it was like the Fountain of Youth for them...
And if for whatever reason stopped working....HOLY the world is coming to an end, Batman....And of course it was the most unfixable problem with Dish equipment. And these people got MAD....
Most of the time it was a telco issue. But try to convince these people there was not a problem with the Dish equipment? No freaking way....
It got to the point where if they asked me on the initial install about the caller ID, I would just lie to them and say it wasn't compatible with the local telco....
Never got busted for that...WHEW!!!!

Reactions: Tampa8
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts