Do Any Receivers Request Confirmation Before Moving Dish w/ USALS Enabled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
When scrolling through the full channel list with USALS enabled and switching from a channel on one satellite to a channel on another bird, do most receivers automatically start moving to the satellite of the newly selected channel, or are there receivers that give a bit of a delay or some kind of confirmation before moving to a new satellite? If I'm scrolling through my channel list and scroll to a channel on a different satellite, my Pansat 3500 will immediately start moving to the satellite of the newly selected channel. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have some kind of message asking whether or not I'd like to move to another satellite, as in some cases I don't really want the dish to move.

my viewsat does that and it really upsets me when I'm trying to find a new bird.

I'm pretty shure the coolsat 5000 does that as well. The thing I would like to know is when the dish moves and displays it on the screen, how does it know when the dish has reached its position because usually the dish is long in place before screen goes normal.

Dave

The Fortec Classic NA starts moving right away if you just hit up and down channel buttons.

However, if you hit the remotes SAT button, pick the sat you want (or ALL), and then hit right arrow it brings up a list of channel names that you can scroll thru without moving the dish until you hit OK. You can even use the EXIT key to cancel the channel change completely.

I have edited my channel lists so that the dish moves across the arc (from west to east) and all channels from each bird are grouped together. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but the above method prevents unnecessary motoring to a large extent.

Tron said:
I have edited my channel lists so that the dish moves across the arc (from west to east) and all channels from each bird are grouped together. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but the above method prevents unnecessary motoring to a large extent.

same here :)

G10 is the first batch, then Amazonas, then AMC6, etc :)
(I know G10 shouldnt be 1st but its where I ususally am)

on my pansat

I just sort channels by satellite - If I have some channels that I really want grouped together I just use the favorites.

The CaptiveWorks cw600s lets you know when it's moving. It says "moving motor" and counts down the seconds until it reaches the next sat. I don't edit my channel list. That takes too long. I just select the sat button on the remote, select the sat I'm either currently on or want to move to, and all the channels for that sat are displayed. I learned pretty early that you don't let it default to "all sats". That gets to be pretty frustrating when the dish starts to move when you don't want it to.

The best thing to use is the favorite groups. I have 3 different with only the channels I want and ordered by sat. So when I browse my lists, I never motor more than 5-10sec.

Status
Please reply by conversation.