Do I have the right reasons to want a FTA setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leejp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I am presently a Dish Network Subscriber. The big reason I am with Dish is the Korean language programming I get with them. I get the SBS, MBC, KBS and ArirangTV for $36.99 which is kind of steep. The service is just so-so... The programming guide is spotty... well in fact, for most of the channels, it's just plain wrong and you can't trust it. I have a dish DVR 522 and I pretty much program it manually.

So I did a little poking around and ran into this FTA and it looks like the following Korean programming is available...

* KISB 4 on IA5 (Telstar )
* KBS World on IA5 (Telstar )
* YTN on IA5 (Telstar )
* CTS - Christian TV System on IA5 (Telstar )
* KISB 3 on IA5 (Telstar )
* KISB 1 on IA5 (Telstar )
* YTN on IA5 (Telstar )
* JSTV - Jesus Satellite TV on IA5 (Telstar )
* JSTV 2 on IA5 (Telstar )
* Radio Korea on IA5 (Telstar )
* Radio Seoul on IA5 (Telstar )

TAN TV 2 on AMC4
TAN TV 1 on AMC4

It looks like SBS is also available on IA5 but I'm not sure...

So for the one time cost (equipment) of ~1/2 years of Dish Network Korean package, the willingness to put a 36" dish in my backyard and do a little technical homework... I can legally get all of these channels? Is this a no brainer?

If I get a motorized dish, I can point to both IA5 (Telstar) and AMC4? Any others? I am in upstate, NY in the Hudson Valley (1/2 way between NYC and Albany).

I'll keep dish network for the major network and cable channels. But I was really only on dish network because of the Korean programming. I can actually choose between Dish and DirecTV if I'm able to get this programming FTA.

Also... If I have the FTA dish... what other programming is available legal and free? I've read PBS, some local networks and a lot of obscure small audience stuff...

Is channel switching so long as you are on the same satellite quick and painless? I assume it takes a lieele while if the dish needs to be repositioned.

I heard there's a program guide available... true?

DVR? Certainly with the PC cards... but they're not dual tuner.

HDTV?

Installation difficut? I plan on putting the dish in my backyard mounted on length of aluminum pipe set in concrete.

This could make my spring project list... Can''t wait until the snows gone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts