Do-It-Yourself Install???

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Has anyone got or ask voom to just send them the equip (for the $0 deal) and install it yourself? I'd think that would/could be an option from voom. Just mail the equip out and let the customer do the install if they want. I'd sure prefer to go that way.
I see Crutchfield now sells voom for $149, and the $149 is then credited to your future voom service bills. So does that mean crutchfield mails the equip directly to you?

OK, now a satellite finder question...
I have a few of those little sat sig meters that hook inline with the lnb to the receiver. The meter is powered by the receiver. Could a directv receiver/dish be used and pointed at the voom sat, and pick up the voom sat sig? (just to get a meter reading, not a voom tv sig using dtv, naturally)
Isnt it possible to get ANY of the sat sigs (dtv, voom, dish) if you aim at that sat?

Not sure on that one. I think you have to have a Voom lnb in order to measure the signal, but it couldn't be too hard to try it out. Just make sure you don't totally mess up any setting that you currently have, and that you are able to re-orient the dish back to where it was.

The Stone Man said:
Not sure on that one. I think you have to have a Voom lnb in order to measure the signal, but it couldn't be too hard to try it out. ..

It is the same lnb as D*. I know because my Voom lnb was bad and I replaced it with the one from my old D* dish.

Nope Crutchfield has an INSTALL INC contrator do the install. They do not mail you the equipment. I called Crutchfield up and asked them about this (as you may know DishStore.NET is an Authorized VOOM dealer however we have not been able to sell online because VOOM requires the units be professionally installed.

I know VOOM wants these installs to be done professionally because they want to be thought of as an advanced Satellite Service, but if you have been reading here for any length of time you know many of these "Professional installs" haven't been too professional at all. I would love to see them offer a self install option.

It will never happen, if you install it or reinstall it your warranty is null and void, just follow the golden rules of satellite installation and you will not go far wrong...

Check the installers SBCA 1+2 certification card
Picture ID.
VoOM certification
License if needed in your state
If your installer can show you the above then you will get an above average install, if they cant show you the above (I carry all of the above in my truck) then cancel the install and insist on a legal install you are paying for it after all, most installers will do the job to your specs if at all possible, good luck!

Pete,
have you been doing more Voom installs recently? Do you see the momentum picking up? I hope that you are allowed to answer this. And btw., are you Vooming at home?

FYI I installed my own omni directional antenna for my local channels, one that I bought from radio shack. Well it works great get all locals but, because I did it and not installs they will not pay me back for the antenna which cost $74. (For all those that can't get all locals due to towers at different locations this anten. is great)

It will never happen, if you install it or reinstall it your warranty is null and void, just follow the golden rules of satellite installation and you will not go far wrong...

Picture ID.
VoOM certification
License if needed in your state

I don't have a VOOM License, even though i have done the training. Does this mean that I do below average installs?? You keep telling people this and I take offense to it. Too bad we can't go head to head on an install, then we would see how much carrying a VOOM CERTIFICATE means... :)

Here is a recent response I recieved about doing self installs or also getting equipment from unauthorized sources. I am also an advocate for self install option. Voom should wake up to the fact on this matter because I am sure there are probably several people who will never get it who would like it because of the forced installer issues. Anyhow main point was I am going to share this E-mail I recieved.

Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 06/12/2004 02:50 AM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
You must purchase your equipment from us in order for us to activate it. While
you may be more than qualified to install the system yourself, we do require
that your system be installed by a VOOM qualified technician. You can certainly
watch over the installation yourself and provide feedback to the installer as to
your requirements as well as ask any questions you may have. If you have any
further questions please give us a call at 1-800-438-VOOM and once again thank
you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Tyler Lucas
VOOM Email Support

Well,... There's another way to skin the cat.

Here is what I did-

Begin a very friendly dialog with the people who will be doing the professional install. The dialog should include discussions on what you already have in place for them. In my case, I told them I already have a 28" dish aimed and working for 61.5 IRD. The cables are run through the walls and are accessable to the back of where the VOOM receiver will go. I told them I also have the OTA antenna that receives excellent quality signal on 3 other digital tuners. There will be a cable for that antenna run to the back to plug into the VOOM receiver. I told them the same for power and phone line, audio Fiber Optic, and DVI cable. They asked me what type of LNB I had on the Dish. I Told them it was the same one used for Dish Network and they were happy with that.
When the installer arrived, I greeted him with a smile and offered to first give him a tour of my current system beginning with my antenna location. He jumped out of the truck with compass in hand and ran to the street to check his direction. I waited, and allowed him to do his routine thing. When he began to shake his head, indicating he was going to have problems, I said, ready? Come over here to look at what is already in place. He was impressed with the install, inspected my grounding and complimented me on that. Inside, he saw everything was in place. I suggested he begin with the receiver and he did. 45 minutes later he was out and gone.

If you can't bypass the install process and want to be sure the wires are run the way you want, just make sure they are done in advance and most important, they work, are to code, and did I say, THEY ALL WORK!

In my case the installer had problems with VOOM and OTA not working. Since we had developed a friendly relationship from the start, he accepted my suggestion to prove the antenna feed worked and that he should try reseating the 8VSB module. He did that and bingo, the OTA worked. Then he called his boss and began bragging that my sat signal was 94. Seems it was the strongest signal he has seen. (Since the VOOM install I have tweaked the dish to get consistent 98 on the VOOM receiver.)

Maybe these suggestions can help you get the install done yourself without disrupting their company policy of "professional" install.

The reason I ask all this, is that my first install was a bust. Trees w/no line of site (from the roof that is). Installer didnt check to see if any other location would work. I checked later, and have a clear (huge line of site) along the fence. So I called and have a second install scheduled. What I'm going to do is run the rg6 cable myself from the point on the fence, to the living room tv. Making it really easy for them. I have an unused dtv dish that I'm going to use as a test to get the voom sat sig (just for my own verify). So when the install gets here, the wire will be laid and the exact voom sat location determined. If theres still any problems with them after that, then they just dont want to sell voom very bad.

randym431 said:
OK, now a satellite finder question...
I have a few of those little sat sig meters that hook inline with the lnb to the receiver. The meter is powered by the receiver. Could a directv receiver/dish be used and pointed at the voom sat, and pick up the voom sat sig? (just to get a meter reading, not a voom tv sig using dtv, naturally)
Isnt it possible to get ANY of the sat sigs (dtv, voom, dish) if you aim at that sat?
I heard one user say that all he had to do was point his triple lnb d* dish in the right direction and one of the lnb's worked for voom. I dont know if he was being honest but it is what i heard. I have one I have just not tried it. You would still need the voom reciever to decode the signal.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Nope Crutchfield has an INSTALL INC contrator do the install. They do not mail you the equipment. I called Crutchfield up and asked them about this (as you may know DishStore.NET is an Authorized VOOM dealer however we have not been able to sell online because VOOM requires the units be professionally installed.

I know VOOM wants these installs to be done professionally because they want to be thought of as an advanced Satellite Service, but if you have been reading here for any length of time you know many of these "Professional installs" haven't been too professional at all. I would love to see them offer a self install option.
those are nice thoughts about how voom wants professional installs but lets face the truth. Voom wants to keep an eye on its recievers and more importantly its cards, so that stealing and reprogramming of its cards doesnt become a problem. If voom allows self installs then there will be contracts and penalties for non activation and early cancellation. Same thing that goes on with D*. Dishonest people have ruined this in advance for us before it has started, by what became rampant with D*. All to save on a fricken monthly sat bill. Its a shame.

poopsie said:
I don't have a VOOM License, even though i have done the training. Does this mean that I do below average installs?? You keep telling people this and I take offense to it. Too bad we can't go head to head on an install, then we would see how much carrying a VOOM CERTIFICATE means... :)

very true a piece of paper means nothing.i have my certificate for dtv dish voom,and even have my fcc certificate for direcway.as far as all those classes go the biggest joke was the voom class.

as any installer that is truely in the field knows. vooms system still needs alot of work.

PSB said:

I dont think the guys who installed mine would even know how to spell SBCA, none the less have SBCA certification.

Also here in Connecticut a Satellite Installers Licence is needed from the state. There are only 2 licences Satellite installers in the state and I know them both. :)

satelliteinstaller said:
very true a piece of paper means nothing.i have my certificate for dtv dish voom,and even have my fcc certificate for direcway.as far as all those classes go the biggest joke was the voom class.

as any installer that is truely in the field knows. vooms system still needs alot of work.

i totally agree all SBCA,VOOM,DIRECWAY etc. certificate means is you paid $100+ to sit in a room and listen to someone who probably never installed a system of any kind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)