Do not power off your machine.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
...Installing update 2 of 3.

Been there for almost 24 hours now. Before I take the plunge, any other ideas?

BTW, I've been meaning to replace that mono since I discovered it was only seeing 2/3 of my DDR3 memory.

I would restart. I had that happen before. Heck, I can reinstall my OS in less than 24 hrs. Once you reboot you may see a failed update, just try it again, or try stopping the update through task manager and try again......

When that happens here I power off and reboot and the reboot process takes quite awhile as it recovers from the last known good bootup. Then I reboot again and the second reboot is normal to fast. Now try the update again. Had it happen on a win XP SP3 on one computer and ended up having to re-download the update after doing a registry cleaning.

I've gone in and killed the Update process from the Task Manager which causes the update to fail (as you would expect) and Windows Update usually moves on to the next update. YMMV, though. Were you updating through the shield or the website?

I was shutting down the machine and got the msg. Blue screen background, so I doubt I could access Task Mgr.

Anyway, I just left it on for a second night and this morning it was shut down, so I guess something happened.

Gotta finish the kitchen and replace that mobo. Would the OS notice if I put in another P6T, assuming I could find one?

If it is only seeing 2/3 of the DDR memory then does it have three memory sticks or two of them with one being twice the size of the other one? Perhaps one memory stick or a memory slot is bad. Seeing that a third of it is not showing if you have two memory sticks with one having less memory then it could be that memory stick or slot being the issue. It could also be using part of the memory for video.

I have Windows 7 and have this update that never updates. I know it is the same one because it is always there and same file size. When I tell it to update and it restarts it is still there. Been this way for months. I do not know if this is preventing my computer from getting other updates or not and do not know how to fix the problem. I read online about it but others seem to have the same issue and most cannot figure it out. From what I read it may be Windows detecting the wrong hardware in my computer. It is an update for Microsoft Visual C+++ 2005 Service Pack 1 KB2538242

If seeing 2/3 of the RAM means an odd number of slots is filled and only an even number is seen - it most likely has to do with dual-channel.

Diogen.

All 6 slots are filled, with matched sticks. Various rearrangements still yield 2/3 of the total. Bad slots/controller? Cleaning did no good. Whatever the reason, I'm on borrowed time.

Well, the thing booted up ok. But Windows Update is insisting on my rebooting, only this time instead of merely suggesting I do it now, it's running a countdown to do it on it's own. Bad, that.

navychop said:
Well, the thing booted up ok. But Windows Update is insisting on my rebooting, only this time instead of merely suggesting I do it now, it's running a countdown to do it on it's own. Bad, that.
...and that was the last thing we ever heard from navychop. :(

Regarding your PC seeing the 2/3 of available RAM, does your MB support redundant memory? Usually that's a server feature, but I thought I'd ask.

...and that was the last thing we ever heard from navychop. :(

Regarding your PC seeing the 2/3 of available RAM, does your MB support redundant memory? Usually that's a server feature, but I thought I'd ask.

Poof! He is gone. His computer told him NOT TO POWER DOWN!!! ;) :D

You could have a bad DIMM slot or DIMM. Seeing 2/3 of the available memory indicates that one pair of DIMMs is inactive. Pull down to the minimum supported configuration and check it. Rotate the DIMMs until you find the faulty stick. If they all pass, you have a bad slot on the motherboard.

There's also a tool called mem test that boots a minimal configuration and scans DIMMs.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Yes, I've rotated RAM to all configs. It's the board. Now I can barely boot it up before it dies again.

Off to MicroCenter for a new mobo. Any recs? Think MS will let me port over my OS (W7) and Office 2007 (already did that once), or has that policy changed?

I do RAID 1 so I might as well upgrade HDDs too. Carry over memory.

ASUS makes good mobos. As long as you have the W7 disc you should be fine. If you call Microsoft up they will give you a new product key.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

It's an ASUS P6T that failed. But yes, I tend to buy ASUS. Used to buy AMD CPUs but they seem to have fallen behind.

Prob stick w/ASUS

How many cores in that AMD? Any advantage/drawback?

With Win7, unless you go AMD, the system disk has a good chance to boot up on the new mobo/CPU.
But installing from scratch is always better. Try to find a disc with SP1. Installing it on top isn't the same.

Diogen.

diogen said:
With Win7, unless you go AMD, the system disk has a good chance to boot up on the new mobo/CPU.
But installing from scratch is always better. Try to find a disc with SP1. Installing it on top isn't the same.

Diogen.

Thank you very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts