Do you Have an EHD?

Two thoughts.

1) An EHD is absolutely awesome to have. The got rid of the $50 fee not too long after I paid it, but I didn't care. The ability to record HD movies without regard to storage space is priceless.

2) I don't like how the 722k (I don't know whether it is different for other receivers) don't actually allow you to organize the archived programs/movies/events. You'll be led to a long list of programs. Worst part is that you can easily overlook having a movie recorded and re-record it and archive that too. One can easily survive, however, being able to organize the programs on the EHD would be a priceless benefit. Otherwise, you are left scrolling through the list, trying to find something.

If they wanted to make it a perfect marriage there are a few things they could incorporate but as it stands the benefits so far out weigh the weaknesses it hardly warrants mentioning. And nobody here has stated the slightest regret so it seems everybody feels pretty positives about EHD's. The DVR's have accepted up to 2TB for quite awhile now so I am surprised that they don't ride that benefit to the hilt on their web page. What's the deal here Scott? Incorrect info on the web site seems like a pretty big over sight. Especially when the correct info is a positive for Dish.

I think DISH doesn't know what one hand of the company is doing over the other hand. Their marketing department sucks as well. Their commercials aren't that memorable and they never seem to play up the technological features that they have advantages in.

Two thoughts.

1) An EHD is absolutely awesome to have. The got rid of the $50 fee not too long after I paid it, but I didn't care. The ability to record HD movies without regard to storage space is priceless.

2) I don't like how the 722k (I don't know whether it is different for other receivers) don't actually allow you to organize the archived programs/movies/events. You'll be led to a long list of programs. Worst part is that you can easily overlook having a movie recorded and re-record it and archive that too. One can easily survive, however, being able to organize the programs on the EHD would be a priceless benefit. Otherwise, you are left scrolling through the list, trying to find something.

Not at home right now but I could swear my 722k EHD has the shows in alphabetical order.
However it would be nice if it were easier to get the the EHD menu screen. (Perhaps by hitting the DVR button one more time to bring up the EHD screen.)
I hate having to go through the manage my external devices screen every time.

Somebody asked earlier about brand names and pricing. I have seen recently a 2TB for under $100, a 1.5TB for under $80. Western Digital and Seagate are two names I've seen. As far as WD, their Essential model seems to be slightly more expensive than their Elemental model. Get one for your wife-------- you'll, I mean she'll love it.

My RAID EHD

Ok, here goes. I have a Vantec NexStar MX enclosure. It has both eSATA & USB 2.0 outputs. Inside, I put two WD Caviar BLACK 1 TB SATA drives, WD1001FALS (no jumpers). Do not use green, I suspect you may have power down / standby problems if you do.

I was not going cheap, I was going reliable. I am quite happy with it, although I suspect it is a bit slower in making transfers due to the RAID overhead. I certainly never have any problems with it when playing directly from the EHD.

On edit- Found my previous review.

Hmmm. New site feature. I notice the book icon above, next to, just in front of, "Vantec," letting you see some info in a bubble or "buy now." Nice. But it's sometimes there, sometimes not.

Last edited:
:D
Somebody asked earlier about brand names and pricing. I have seen recently a 2TB for under $100, a 1.5TB for under $80. Western Digital and Seagate are two names I've seen. As far as WD, their Essential model seems to be slightly more expensive than their Elemental model. Get one for your wife-------- you'll, I mean she'll love it.

Damn! Why didn't you post this before Mother's day!

Ghpr13

Not at home right now but I could swear my 722k EHD has the shows in alphabetical order.
However it would be nice if it were easier to get the the EHD menu screen. (Perhaps by hitting the DVR button one more time to bring up the EHD screen.)
I hate having to go through the manage my external devices screen every time.

You can set the Sort/Group settings in your "My Recordings (internal storage)" menu and it will apply those settings to the "My Media (EHD)" menu. Also if you set your Group setting to either "Group by Title" or "My Groups" you will get a nice little "My Media" shortcut to your EHD in your DVR menu. Also has the side benefit of grouping your shows together :) .

"I find transferring to the EHD quite a simple process that actually allows you to watch a recorded show from the DVR's hard drive or a live broadcast while the transfer process is taking place"

But why does the 722 have to pop up that big notice on top of what you are seeing to tell you the copy is complete? This may be a minor annoyance - but it's an unnecessary one in my opinion.

But why does the 722 have to pop up that big notice on top of what you are seeing to tell you the copy is complete? This may be a minor annoyance - but it's an unnecessary one in my opinion.

Very minor, indeed, if at all. I'm always glad to know when it's done.

I have a single IOMega drive and for the most part it has been a great addition to my 722. I had one recording that failed to play correctly, but I haven't run into that since.

I've been wondering how people with multiple drives switch them out. It would be nice if there was some sort of switching gizmo but I assume the only way to do it now is to plug and unplug the USB cable. In my rats nest of wiring that is always a job I dread.

I'm used to working with external drives on my computer where you should dismount the drive before unplugging it. I assume that isn't an issue in this application? Or should you put the receiver to sleep before yanking out the plug?

I'm used to working with external drives on my computer where you should dismount the drive before unplugging it. I assume that isn't an issue in this application? Or should you put the receiver to sleep before yanking out the plug?
Just yank it. BTW, you can use a USB hub just as long as only one drive in ON at a time.

I have a single IOMega drive and for the most part it has been a great addition to my 722. I had one recording that failed to play correctly, but I haven't run into that since.

I've been wondering how people with multiple drives switch them out. It would be nice if there was some sort of switching gizmo but I assume the only way to do it now is to plug and unplug the USB cable. In my rats nest of wiring that is always a job I dread.

I use a Blacx Thermaltake 2.5”/3.5” SATA HDD USB Docking station. I can just switch it off change drives (since it's SATA probably don't have switch it off but just do).

I have 2 722's I was looking at the Western Digitals EHD, is there one or the other is more user friendly as far as initial setup and getting the thing going,
Thanks

I have 2 722's I was looking at the Western Digitals EHD, is there one or the other is more user friendly as far as initial setup and getting the thing going,
Thanks
Nope. WDs are as simple as they get.

I suggest avoiding the green series. The black costs a bit more but there will be no spin down problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)