Do you LOVE the Welcome Pack?

We live in a valley that can not get ANY locals OTA. So having the locals as part of the Welcome Pack is fine with us. If we could get locals OTA we'd drop Dish or any other linear service in a heart

I also have the same problem.

I like the Welcome Pak, but I don't love it. If would include Fox News and Business plus USA and TNT, then I would love it. I think I pay about $47 a month including a new H3 and Joey. It’s more than I want to pay, but I record almost everything I watch and skip the commercials. I have become addicted to Dish technology after almost 20 years.

Even when I tried to quit and switch to TIVO on Cox, I couldn't get Cox to feed TiVo reliably. At least 9 out of 10 Cox people either never heard of TiVo or had no clue how to make their interface box communicat properly .

You pay $12 in tax on a $23 bill? That’s more than 50%. No state charges that much in programming tax.

And I was getting the Movie Pack for $5 for several years. And when Dish drops the loyalty fee discount, I will probably have to drop the Movie Pack.

Attachments

• dish.PNG
    dish.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
And the cost of retransmission of locals has gone up as has everything else in our economy. So too has the cost of the available satellite channels. I think, maybe, if you can't afford $23 a month for satellite TV you shouldn't even consider it. Consider instead going to nothing but free OTA. If you can't receive OTA for any reason, that is not the fault of satellite providers or their customers that would have to subsidize those who can't afford $23 a month...
My stance is more about not giving a choice to pay for locals or not. They now do it with most of their other packages. It's also not about prices going up like they do everywhere, but locals going up 5x faster than everything else. I would guess when the locals price continues to rise at 5x the rate of inflation, and the Welcome Pack goes up to 24.99 to compensate, then maybe Dish might offer a locals-free Welcome Pack for say, 19.99. More choice is better for the consumer, and retention.

Reactions: pattykay
My stance is more about not giving a choice to pay for locals or not. They now do it with most of their other packages. It's also not about prices going up like they do everywhere, but locals going up 5x faster than everything else. I would guess when the locals price continues to rise at 5x the rate of inflation, and the Welcome Pack goes up to 24.99 to compensate, then maybe Dish might offer a locals-free Welcome Pack for say, 19.99. More choice is better for the consumer, and retention.
In a way, it surprises me that Welcome Pack is not already $24.99 per month. I seem to remember that the Latino Welcome Pack increased to $24.99 years ago, right before Dish discontinued that package.

I feel like we have to remember that Dish isn’t a charity, though. At the current $22.99 price, there is already very little meat left on the bone for profit.

I think Welcome Pack is a tremendous deal as it is now and I’m very happy with it
If $12 of that package is just locals, then that's a lot of meat. Dish could trim $10 of cost (assuming they get a $2 cut of that) and offer the package at $7 or $8 less, and come out ahead profit-wise.

My guess is that the real reason they don't offer the package without locals is contractual. They just didn't or weren't able to negotiate for it.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)