Do you still have your first FTA reciever?

DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR FIRST RECEIVER?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Lets have some fun...plus I'm bored :)

Was cleaning the walk in closet and stumbled upon my older FTA receivers...including the 1st one I got 10 years ago. So lets have some fun

DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR FIRST RECEIVER?
Yes....and I've been in FTA less than 5 years
Yes....and I've been in FTA more than 5 years
No....and I've been in FTA less than 5 years
No....and I've been in FTA more than 5 years

If you vote please respond with what the 1st receiver you had was....Pics would be cool too especially if its an older one :)

Yeah it is around here somewhere.

My first fta receiver was a Twinhan 102g, purchased along with a motorized ku dish back in 2005. I still have it but haven't used it in years, but the dish is still in use (pointed at hispasat ATM).

Last edited:
My first receiver was a DVB-S PCI card, Twinhan 102G. It's in a box in storage somewhere. My first STB was a CW Ultra. I bought it for blind scan and it was a terrible scanner. I never got any real use out of it and it sits on the shelf in a box somewhere as well.

Technically, my first was a Drake analog receiver 15-20 years ago I got with a mesh BUD I helped take down. Never did use either and ended up selling them somewhere around 1998. The first that I ever actually used is my VisionSat IV-200 PVR Plus...in use right now watching the Pentagon channel, as a matter of fact! I also use it for dish aiming.

If you want to go back to the real beginning,NO(M/A com[Toshiba]C/Ku analog).
If just DVB,YES,Digiwave 7200S.
And way more than 5 years. 100_0402.JPG

Last edited:
No....and I've been in FTA more than 5 years

It was the Amstrad Fidelity SRX 100. A 16-channel PAL receiver for Astra 1A. I had the companion VideoCrypt decoder as well, when Sky switched on scrambling.

Scroll down here and you can see it:
http://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintagesatellite.htm

A lot of those bring back memories from the magazines of the time. I can remember how I used to lust after the Echostar SR5500 and all its features. I saw one the other day in a second-hand recycling store and it gave me a kick that it was offered for $10. I didn't even consider buying it!

Yes I still have it...and been in FTA now 10 years

It was a Viacast 2000. Paid $60 for it and talk about limited options
couldnt edit any channels
10 TRANSPONDER entry..no not satellite. Transponder. You had to pick and choose which TP you wanted on 97
logged all channels if scrambled or not
major pain in the ass to program unless you knew what you were doing
sure there was a signal meter...but it only worked if it locked on a signal. No programming in a TP and aiming the dish. Now you know how I could eyeball where a sat was ;)
they disabled the front panel so remote only. (power button did work)

I used it to save 7.95 on my Bell bill to get the radio stations on there...also got the audio only channels as they were in the clear. Ended up mainly using it on G10 for the Equity mux :)

I'll post pics soon

microyal mrx-900 that I ruined trying to help others with the same receiver but different rev of tuner module.
Trying to get the cover off the tuner I ripped surface mount caps off the mainboard and made a mess.
The mainboard is still kicking around somewhere just in case I need parts for some project.

Status
Please reply by conversation.