DOD very slow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cwbuckley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
EL Paso
My DOD is working, I get programs listed in channel 1000 and all the other channels. The problem that I am having is the downloads are very slow. I am using a Linksys WGA54G gaming adapter. Is there anything that I can do to speed things up? Also is is normal to download one item at a time? Thanks.

The first two questions I have is what wireless network are you using 802.11b or 802.11g? Then what is your internet connection speed? I ask since I have a 5Mbps connection and I can start watching a SD program withing 30 seconds of starting it and never hit the end of the buffer.

The first two questions I have is what wireless network are you using 802.11b or 802.11g? Then what is your internet connection speed? I ask since I have a 5Mbps connection and I can start watching a SD program withing 30 seconds of starting it and never hit the end of the buffer.

Is the USB port on the HR20 enabled to use a wireless adapter to connect to a wireless router?

To answer your question. I am using ATT DSL, I have the middle package which is the pro and it is suppose to have a top d'l speed of 3mbs. As for my router, it is a

Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824NA) I hope that answers your question. Last night it took me about 9 hours to d'l a 25 minute program.

Did you download a HD program or an SD program?

If its an SD program then chances are something is wrong on your side.

To answer your question. I am using ATT DSL, I have the middle package which is the pro and it is suppose to have a top d'l speed of 3mbs. As for my router, it is a

Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824NA) I hope that answers your question. Last night it took me about 9 hours to d'l a 25 minute program.

What I'd recommend is if you have a laptop is connect that up to the wireless adapter, leaving the wireless adapter in exactly the same place as when using it with the HR20, and then go to a speed test site and see what you're speeds actually are. It could be that something is blocking the signal and reducing your speeds just to keep the connection active.

Now I do have a laptop that is working off that same router. Would that slow things down. How do I run a speed check? The program that I am d'l now is at 35% and It started at 6:08, it is now 8:40. As far as the location, it stays in the same place as that is the only place that I can get a good signal.

OK, I ran the speed test from my laptop and the download readings were 2518kbs and the upload were 371kbs.

Those speeds look good for that DSL package. So if you did that with the laptop using the Linksys gaming adapter and not the laptops internal wireless connection (connected the Linksys via ethernet to the laptop) then I don't know why you're seeing such sloooow downloads, sorry.

Forgot to ask, how long is this show that you're downloading?

I just reread your message, the test that I ran was through my laptops internal wireless adapter. How am I suppose to run the test using the gaming adapter?

2 1/2 hour and only 35% on a 25 minute program, something is FUBAR.

If your laptop has an ethernet connection on it, just plug in the cable from the gaming adapter to the laptop and make sure you're disabled the laptop's internal wireless adapter. This way you can see exactly what type of speed the HR20 is getting. As I said, it could be that the wireless adapter is having a signal issue reducing the speed. I got back from a cruise and was using the shipboard wireless internet. If I was at the desk in the room my ping time to the wireless gateway was in the 80-200ms range with drops, just moving over to the bed dropped it to 2ms and no drops. That's why it's important to check it with the wireless adapter in exactly the same spot as when using the HR20 on the connection.

I hooked the gaming adapter into my laptop via the ethernet port. Laptop doesn't see the gaming adapter. I went into setup and turned off the wireless adapter. Tried installing the software that came with the gaming adapter but it doesn't find the adapter. Any ideas. Will not let me connect to the internet. I appreciate your help.

Sorry I haven't used a gaming adapter so I don't know if there's anything special that needs to be done. Maybe others that have used the Linksys can assist.

One other thing you could try is to move the DSL modem and router to where the HR20 is and hardwire it in to make sure it's not the wireless connection (assuming that you have a phone jack near the HR20). That would eliminate the wireless connection as a source of the problem.

Thanks for everybody's help, but I have given up. I am returning the gaming adapter to Amazon. In its place I am going to run a 25' ethernet cable through the wall. This I would think should be faster and cheaper.

That is the way to go, gets rid of the wireless overhead and any chance of the signal being an issue. Let us know how it goes after you get done.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your help. I purchased 25' cat 6 cable and went through the wall. 25 minute program, after 5 minutes 13%. That sure is better then it was before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.