Does Adding/Changing Services/Equipment extend your contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I read somewhere that DirecTV will try to extend your contract for any little reason they can think of: If your box goes bad and they send you a new one; If you upgrade from an SD receiver to an HD one; If you subscribe to new programming; If they have to come to the house and repair anything even though you pay for a maintenance plan, etc… I understand that the contract should not let you take anything away from what you initially agreed upon without penalty, but if I get a new plasma TV for another room and want to upgrade to an HD receiver, or suddenly decide I want to add a subscription sports package, I don't feel that the two-year clock should start ticking from scratch again. Is any of that true? What if you start the contract by paying them i.e. $120 a month, then add stuff that takes it to $200 a month, and then take away some stuff so it's down to $150 a month? Even though you're still paying them more than you initially agreed to, will they still try and stick it to you somehow or extend your contract with every change to service you make? I am of course a newbie with fears about switching from no-contract cable, and I'm imagining nightmare situations where a two year contract can turn into many. One of the reasons I want to switch from cable is for Sunday Ticket, and if I switch this summer and DirecTV loses Sunday Ticket in 2010, I want to be able to jump ship to whoever has it then without being caught by DirecTV's hooks. Actually, I don't want to be stuck past two years without the option to leave for any reason. Please let me know if any of my fears are true or what can be done to minimize or eliminate them if they are. Thanks!

Most equipment - yes.

Add an SD receiver requires 1 year from activation, or existing cotract if longer.

Add any DVR, HD, or HD-DVR, requires 2 years from activation.

This requirement for adding equipement applies to your whole account, not just that receiver. They'll let you turn off a receiver later on wthout penalty, but you must keep a base package for the 2 years or pay a cancellation fee.

No programming requires any contract.

So are you saying that if I only have one year left on the contract and decide to add an HD receiver, I basically start over and am stuck for another two years?

So are you saying that if I only have one year left on the contract and decide to add an HD receiver, I basically start over and am stuck for another two years?
That's the current thinking. Be glad that it isn't additive.

In June a tech traced our 771 errors to a failing DVR and said he'd send out a replacement. There was no mention of any contract extension. Now, we still have signal problems (new DVR can't get signal either) and are committed for another 24 months. Theoretically, a person with a "bad DVR" could remain under contract forever, no?

Some of this is defianatly true.
Adding equipment triggers a commitment, thats why I normally get all my equipment at the same time.
If they send out a replacement for a defective unit, there should NOT be an addl commitment, if this happens, ask them about it ahead of time. I have never had a commitment added to for a equipment failure.
On the other hand, if YOU decide to upgrade, then YES it triggers a commitment.
Keep in mind, the commitment is on that piece of equipment only, so it you have had a rec. for over 2 years (18 months for SD eq.) and add a new piece of equipment, the original rec. is no longer under a commitment, but the new one is.

Jimbo

Keep in mind, the commitment is on that piece of equipment only, so it you have had a rec. for over 2 years (18 months for SD eq.) and add a new piece of equipment, the original rec. is no longer under a commitment, but the new one is.

But as long as one piece of equipment is under the agreement - the account is under agreement.

They'll let you turn off a recently activated receiver and send it back, but the argreement term will stick. When you add a DVR, HD, or HD-DVR, it requires two years from that date, regardless of what contract you already had in place. At least they don't combine.

In June a tech traced our 771 errors to a failing DVR and said he'd send out a replacement. There was no mention of any contract extension. Now, we still have signal problems (new DVR can't get signal either) and are committed for another 24 months. Theoretically, a person with a "bad DVR" could remain under contract forever, no?

If you had a protection plan on your account, they can not extend you contract. But if you don't, they will extend the contract even if you are replacing the receiver with the same model (not an upgrade). That is why I always keep the plan for 5.99 $ a month.

if you're under contract and you want to add or remove from your current programming, would this void your contract or void the rebates that are part of the contract?

All one has to remember with D* when it comes to contracts is: YOU PAY.

YOU PAY upfront.
YOU PAY every month.
YOU PAY if a receiver goes bad. (and you don't pay the racket,er..Protection Plan, that is.)
YOU PAY if your dish needs tweaking.(and you don't pay the racket,er..Protection Plan, that is.)
YOU PAY if for some reason D* decides to change programming or moves to equipment that you don't like, tough, YOU PAY, to end the contract.

As long as one is okay with the constant YOU PAY, they have a great product.

OH, they DO pay for you to send the equipment back to them that YOU PAID up front for, so that's something, I guess.;)

that didn't answer my question. i guess nobody knows :(

If you are talking about equipment rebates, no I don't think it matters, however if you have an HD receiver/DVR you have to have some kind of HD service if you keep an HD receiver/DVR. So if you have a rebate on a HD DVR and you return it, I would say that you WON'T get the rebate.

Before I cancelled that's exactly what I did, I reduced my service to SD only, returned my HD equipment, and waited a few months before I paid the ransom fee and had them turn it off.

no the rebates are for credits of $23 a month for 12 months and another $10 a month for 24 months. i just don't want to void that by changing any of the programming

All one has to remember with D* when it comes to contracts is: YOU PAY.

YOU PAY upfront.
YOU PAY every month.
YOU PAY if a receiver goes bad. (and you don't pay the racket,er..Protection Plan, that is.)
YOU PAY if your dish needs tweaking.(and you don't pay the racket,er..Protection Plan, that is.)
YOU PAY if for some reason D* decides to change programming or moves to equipment that you don't like, tough, YOU PAY, to end the contract.

As long as one is okay with the constant YOU PAY, they have a great product.

OH, they DO pay for you to send the equipment back to them that YOU PAID up front for, so that's something, I guess.;)

VS DISH Network or any other provider.
You have a way to get your TV programming for FREE ????

Please tell us how !
There ain't no FREE TV (outside of FTA, but you don't have the choices available to the others)

Jimbo

no the rebates are for credits of $23 a month for 12 months and another $10 a month for 24 months. i just don't want to void that by changing any of the programming

What programming changes are you trying to do ?
What do you have ?
You can change any Movie channels in and out as you please, you will be charged one month regardless, this keeps peope from turning on a service one day and turning it off the next.

I think under contract you are required to have the Total Choice as a minimum.

Jimbo

I'm not sure about rebates, but I know that your contract wont be extended if you make changes to your programing. Even if you cancel the HD channels you don't have to return the HD receiver. You just wont be receiving any HD channels even if you still have the HD box. They will just turn of those channels.
When I sign up I was getting 10 $ off every month for 10 months. In between I change the programing and I was still getting 10 $ off.

If you had a protection plan on your account, they can not extend you contract. But if you don't, they will extend the contract even if you are replacing the receiver with the same model (not an upgrade). That is why I always keep the plan for 5.99 $ a month.

Where can i find that in writing or a definitive answer? I've heard this argument on more than one occasion.

VS DISH Network or any other provider.

My local cable company doesn't do any of that...they fix my lines for free, my signal doesn't washout in thunderstorms, if I leave they don't charge me a fee, when I began service they didn't charge me a fee, and that was just for internet. For basic TV service one just cannot beat cable. And we have Charter here , for goodness sake.

Oh, BTW, I have no experience with DISH so I refrain from commenting on that. I had 11 years with D*, installed all my systems myself from 1996-2007 except for my Slimline ( I had a broken arm, I couldn't do it), which I had to end up repeaking myself anyway because the 103 wasn't available here when they installed the dish, I've had about 10 different receivers and DVR's in that time, so I know just a bit more about D*.

You have a way to get your TV programming for FREE ???? Please tell us how !
There ain't no FREE TV (outside of FTA, but you don't have the choices available to the others)

Jimbo

Yes, FTA. And yes, its not for everyone. Just those of us that are tired of being raped by the satellite companies. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)