Does anyone know if Winegard makes good antennas?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, so I am having a local retailer replace my Lava antenna (JUNK!!!) with a Winegard antenna that is relatively small so I can use it for an apartment building, and yet still get all the local subchannels that Dish Network doesn't offer in my area. I just want reassurance from you guys, are Winegard models good antennas? I don't want to get screwed again.

There are some winegard antennas from the 70's still working in these parts.They have a great reputation for both durability and reception.

They haven't stayed in business for over 50 years by making junk. Channel master and Winegard were founded about 1 year apart and have never been the cheapest.

There are some winegard antennas from the 70's still working in these parts.They have a great reputation for both durability and reception.

I have one of these. The Winegard antenna came with the house and has been up there since the late '60s. I replaced the feedline, but the antenna works so well, I see no point in replacing it.

I have one of these. The Winegard antenna came with the house and has been up there since the late '60s. I replaced the feedline, but the antenna works so well, I see no point in replacing it.
Absolutely no need to replace it. The signal the TV stations send -- as you know -- hasn't changed. It does confuse a lot of people that you can get "HDTV" with a 40+ year old antenna !

Okay, so I am having a local retailer replace my Lava antenna (JUNK!!!)...
I once read that if the antenna looks "cool", i.e. like an airplane wing, a UFO, or is covered in plastic, to avoid it. For some people (close to the towers), yes, they'll work fine, but overall, they're made to look nice vs function as well as possible.

I once read that if the antenna looks "cool", i.e. like an airplane wing, a UFO, or is covered in plastic, to avoid it. For some people (close to the towers), yes, they'll work fine, but overall, they're made to look nice vs function as well as possible.
OTOH, these new, flat, leaf-style indoor antennas from Mohu and Winegard get generally rave reviews.

I got a Winegard indoor/outdoor antenna recently. I have it indoors, and it works great for my ota channels from Nashville. I'm very happy with it, and I like the fact that it's American made.

And there's the StealthTenna. No, despite reviewers claims, it was NOT designed after the stealth aircraft. It pre-dated them. The idea is, you can locate one outside, under an eave, and most folks don't notice. Works well, I have used several in different locations. Kinda large for indoor use, but if the smaller ones don't work......

And there's the StealthTenna. No, despite reviewers claims, it was NOT designed after the stealth aircraft. It pre-dated them. The idea is, you can locate one outside, under an eave, and most folks don't notice. Works well, I have used several in different locations. Kinda large for indoor use, but if the smaller ones don't work......
Of course that is by Channel Master not Winegard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)