does blockbuster actually offer free streaming content in the dishonline plan?

sansha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I used to have netflix, so to me, a plan that allows streaming as well as by mail, means free streaming of some titles. I haven't seen how to do that with the dishonline plan (that replaces dish platinum). I had dish plat for years, and signed up for BB no problem with dish debuted it. I did get a BB dvd by mail and that's nice, but does BB really stream movies and tv shows free like netflix does? so far, all I have seen is chargable content. to me the free streaming would be worth more than the by mail disk, so I would love to know where to find the content and how to do it and what i am doing wrong.

I used to have netflix, so to me, a plan that allows streaming as well as by mail, means free streaming of some titles. I haven't seen how to do that with the dishonline plan (that replaces dish platinum). I had dish plat for years, and signed up for BB no problem with dish debuted it. I did get a BB dvd by mail and that's nice, but does BB really stream movies and tv shows free like netflix does? so far, all I have seen is chargable content. to me the free streaming would be worth more than the by mail disk, so I would love to know where to find the content and how to do it and what i am doing wrong.

the streaming is currently only on your 722 or 622. go into your dvr menu and to the blockbuster movie pass section. you can use the filters to find what type you want. when the listing come up, hit the * key to show the free titles. hope that helps. your dvr also needs to have a broadband internet connection running on it too to access the content.

I don't see anything under the B lockbuster movie pass that wasn't there under those same channels/networks before with Dish Platinum online/dish on demand, or whatever it was called before Blockbuster. I had investigated them pretty thoroughly before when I first hooked up my 722 to the internet for dish on demand.

So I guess my question is, has blockbuster brought anything new to the table? With netflix streaming content, you get all sorts of old tv series, and tons of movies. I am not seeing anything like that with blockbuster, and I am puzzled. What exactly is new - except for the by mail service it looks all the same to me

The mail service is the new part.

Their needs to be a sticky for this question.

Correct, this is not a Netflix replacement and is not meant to be. For those who already had the old Platinum plan, the BB by Mail add-on is a great free addition. For those who did not have it, $10 per month for 20+ channels, one disc at a time with in-store exchange, and access to the streaming content is a great deal also. If you were a "cord-cutter" using Netflix to replace cable this will most definitely not replace that.

However, I would imagine we'll see some more content added as time goes on.

You are missing another advantage beyond renting a discs for free for people who already had platinum, or even for new subscribers. I can also stream through Blockbuster on my Roku or my Blockbuster App lots of movies, TV shows, etc.... If someone takes advantage of all the things that comes with the BMP it is a great deal.

How can you stream BB on the Roku? Where is the channel at?
I'm curious, is there ANY free BB content when you use the Roku? And do you see the "platinum" stuff on the Roku?
I would seriously doubt any Platinum content.

Blockbuster does have streaming if you have a device that supports it. If you go to the blockbuster web site, there is a button called Activate Device. Selecting that allows you to activate a media streamer. Personally, I have a Western Digital Live Plus media streamer that I activated. However, the streaming is NOT at all like Netflix. With Blockbuster, you can only stream pay per view movies (They call it On Demand - I have no interest in that). I guess the idea here is: instead of going to BB and renting a movie for $3.99, you can stream it immediately for the same price.

As far as I can tell, there is no free streaming (or monthly price for streaming) like Netflix has.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the answer. I couldn't see that BB offered anything new free (except the by mail, which is nice), but I had thought streaming meant the same kind of free streaming that netflix and amazon do when you belong to one of their plans.

I also have a WD live hub media player, and I activate that on my account (and BB sent me a 5$ credit on my account for doing so) but it doesnt add anything new free to the mix. In fact, even with a BB dish account, you have to put in your CC info (at least I did) to active the live hub. Because it is all for pay. They say they don't charge unless you choose something per pay to watch. But unlike netflix, they really don't have anything free to stream with your membership.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts