Does DirecTV have an answer to Hopper3/HopperGo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So again, as a tech, you would have had it for an extremely limited time... Maybe a couple days. Nowhere near enough to test it to give your opinion. Plus, from your description, you were not testing as a consumer, making it useless as a review again. If you were use it prior to any of that, you surely would have an NDA and be in a huge violation there, so I don't believe you there I either. This sounds more like flaming for your own biased opinions, as mentioned. You have not offered any information of value on this at all.

He said the same thing about ATT's new box that is in development, claiming to have insider information when he really had nothing. I blasted him on the NDA part a few months back as he really had no clue on what really is going on. He's for sure trolling. He knows nothing.. Nothing to see anytime he posts anything.

Reactions: Troch77
any update on when directv will go live with the 4k broadcasts?
last i saw was early 2016

He said the same thing about ATT's new box that is in development, claiming to have insider information when he really had nothing. I blasted him on the NDA part a few months back as he really had no clue on what really is going on. He's for sure trolling. He knows nothing.. Nothing to see anytime he posts anything.
I'm not even trying to be a jerk or anything. I just don't want someone reading to get persuaded by the flaming, rather than the facts. That's not cool. Let each service stand on its own merit. DTV has some cool stuff, Dish has cool stuff, TiVo has cool stuff, let each stand on its own. As has been mentioned, it is not about being a fanboy. It's about getting what is important to you, and know about its TRUE functionality and that is what makes SATELLITEGUYS so great. We are turning into a troll site and its tarnishing the reputation.

I'm not even trying to be a jerk or anything. I just don't want someone reading to get persuaded by the flaming, rather than the facts. That's not cool. Let each service stand on its own merit. DTV has some cool stuff, Dish has cool stuff, TiVo has cool stuff, let each stand on its own. As has been mentioned, it is not about being a fanboy. It's about getting what is important to you, and know about its TRUE functionality and that is what makes SATELLITEGUYS so great. We are turning into a troll site and its tarnishing the reputation.
Nah, Trolls come here to learn ...

Reactions: goaliebob99
Speaking of comparisons, did DirecTV update their IPG yet for the Genie, or is it still the same one they had in 2013, with the white letters on a dark-grey background and no channel logos?

Its still the same one. However it sounds like when AT&T merges the two platforms together they will also launch an all new guide.

I really liked the colors in the blue/white/yellow DirecTV guide better, the black/gray/white was a little too dark for me. I think Dish's new carbon guide is dark colored, I hope I can see it as good as the one they have now.

I find it amazing that from a company that has been telling all of us that the average household only needs 2 Tuners for the past 4 years, that all of a sudden thinks there is a need for 16 tuners.

And we still don't really have an answer if 16 tuners is really 13 because of prime time anytime.

The average consumer could care less about the number of tuners. At the end of the day it's the same crappy dish service.

This is a DVR designed for satellite guys members, and satellite guys members only.

Do I want a 16 tuner hopper? YES

Am I going to switch my service from Directv back to Dish? HELL NO

I'll do just fine with my Genie and 6 HR24's and record 17 things at once.

Only needing two tuners is just like a quote many thought Bill Gates said "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer,"

imho directv needs to make an announcement before the hopper 3 is available, or risk losing some subs

So let me get this straight. A tuner can only receive one transponder at a time? If you have a 4K channel it takes more than one transponder? If they could compress the 4K channel into one transponder then would that still net them 16 4K channels being a possibility?

I also don't know why they didn't make a joey/211 combo box. Put a tuner in a Joey like receiver and disable the tuner when you connect it to a Hopper. Or maybe the tuner or such a configuration would cost them too much vs. having the two different model receivers?

Who says a 4K channel takes more than one transponder? They have 4 HD locals on one transponder now and since 4K uses 4 times more bandwidth than HD (only two times if using MPEG5) so one transponder is plenty.

So let me get this straight. A tuner can only receive one transponder at a time? ...

Correct ...

The xpndr can and usually always does have multiple program streams on it of course. But only 1 xpndr per tuner at a time, yes.

If you have a 4K channel it takes more than one transponder? ...

Not necessarily for just "one" 4K channel. But like for what DIRECTV mentioned of eventually multiplexing 3 UHD channels each at an average rate of 30 mb/s, will require bonding two of their 36 MHz wide xpndrs together.

If they could compress the 4K channel into one transponder then would that still net them 16 4K channels being a possibility? ...
Dish doesn't have the available bandwidth to dedicate a single xpndr per a 4K channel. DIRECTV does and really wouldn't need to re-compress a single 4K channel from a program source on a xpndr if they use the 36 MHz wide ones on their Ka or Reverse Band xpndrs for them. But I doubt they would ever commit 16 expensive CONUS beam xpndrs that way. Way too much valuable spectum would be wasted like that.

...I also don't know why they didn't make a joey/211 combo box. Put a tuner in a Joey like receiver and disable the tuner when you connect it to a Hopper. Or maybe the tuner or such a configuration would cost them too much vs. having the two different model receivers?

Interesting idea ... guess Dish felt differently for some reason on building such a combo unit.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

I also don't know why they didn't make a joey/211 combo box. Put a tuner in a Joey like receiver and disable the tuner when you connect it to a Hopper. Or maybe the tuner or such a configuration would cost them too much vs. having the two different model receivers?

People said that about directv clients too, to give them a tuner when the genie goes down to make them basically an hd ird, also talked about turning the hr24 into almost a super Joey type box. Yet to see either.. and I'm not sure what's really stopping the super Joey idea... my guess is whether it would be able to tell if it was connected to a genie and what to do if not. That would end up needing almost dual booting operating systems pending on what other irds it talked to...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They could do the same thing as super Joey with combined playlist and recording management. Personally I prefer they don't integrate them, in our home the genie is 99% used by me, and my wife had her own HR24 and my kids as well (shared). I know this is quite unique.

Future looking, there is no big need to copy a super Joey concept as DirecTv will expand the server capability with something to better serve the whole home. Dish just did it with 16 tuners. Directv has now developed a LNB that serves 21 tuners. Even if a few are reserved for reverse band 4K, they can do much better than 5 in a Genie.

Whatever Directv is doing they have done well being quiet about it, unless there is truly noting there yet, which would be a competitive disappointment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)