Does DISH make outbound calls to "update your records"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
I just received a call from an Indian sounding speaker in a very noisy call center. I couldn't understand most of what he said but I did catch "update records". I hung up there.

I just received a call from an Indian sounding speaker in a very noisy call center. I couldn't understand most of what he said but I did catch "update records". I hung up there.

Hi, Jon J! DISH would contact our customers if they are experiencing technical issues, to complete a survey, or to confirm an appointment, however, we would not place a call to update records. Were you asked to provide any personal information, such as social security number or credit card, or details about your DISH account? -- Trisha R.

Thanks Trish. The speaker's accent and the room background noise made it difficult for me to understand but when I heard "update records" which concerned me I hung up. Caller ID showed DISH's number but probably spoofed. I assumed if real there would be another call. There was none.

If the caller ID read 1-800-333-3474, that is definitely not an outbound call made by any of our teams. That number is only used for our inbound system to receive calls. Our outbound system will not use a 1-800 number. It is good to hear that you did not provide them any information. If you are ever unsure if you have received a call from us, definitely calls us or reach out to by chat here Direct Chat and we can double check the notes on the account to verify for you. - Jasmine D.

I get at least one email per week, from some bank or company that I do not even do business with wanting me to click the link below to prevent my account from being frozen due to fraudulent activity. I never respond, even if it is my bank. I got a call the other day saying the IRS has issued an arrest warrant for me and to address the issue press 1 to speak with an agent. I hung up and they haven't come arrested me yet.

If Dish would just secure their system and their customers information there would NOT be Indian call centers calling customers trying to pull a scam.

Case and point. Several years ago before my company was awarded the order entry tool to place customer orders we helped identify a foreign call center stealing customers information to flip accounts.

Apparently Dish had given access to their customers database to HBO to solicit customers to get HBO.

The Indian call center they hired discovered not only could they add HBO to customers accounts, they could also change customer information

What the call center was doing was finding customer accounts with older customer owned equipment. Changing the name, address and phone number so they could sell the customer a new account.

They would not touch customers accounts with leased equipment or commitments as this would trigger an equipment fee or cancellation fee and cause an issue when the customer was sent to collections.

They would run the new account through a dealer so they could get a commission.

But this is all likely Dish Networks fault you got this call to begin with.

These scammers would not be calling you unless there was some financial gain or reward by doing so.

Dish needs to do a better job securing their customer data

Reactions: Jim S.
If Dish would just secure their system and their customers information there would NOT be Indian call centers calling customers trying to pull a scam.

Case and point. Several years ago before my company was awarded the order entry tool to place customer orders we helped identify a foreign call center stealing customers information to flip accounts.

Apparently Dish had given access to their customers database to HBO to solicit customers to get HBO.

The Indian call center they hired discovered not only could they add HBO to customers accounts, they could also change customer information

What the call center was doing was finding customer accounts with older customer owned equipment. Changing the name, address and phone number so they could sell the customer a new account.

They would not touch customers accounts with leased equipment or commitments as this would trigger an equipment fee or cancellation fee and cause an issue when the customer was sent to collections.

These scammers would not be calling you unless there was some financial gain or reward by doing so.

Oh please, it happens to everybody

Why don't you go work for DISH and get them straightened out instead of constantly
bad mouthing them in an Internet forum ?

Reactions: gary407 and Elsguy

So why do I get similar calls claiming to be from DTV, Comcast, Spectrum, various banks, and on and on. Are they all Dish's fault too???

Why don't you go work for DISH and get them straightened out instead of constantly

LOL, he can't. They fired him as a retailer a few years ago and they wouldn't let him back...ever! He's butt hurt and that's why we have to put up with his continual trashing. He'll tell you it wasn't his fault and Dish was just out to get him, but I think we all know the truth by now!

So why do I get similar calls claiming to be from DTV, Comcast, Spectrum, various banks, and on and on. Are they all Dish's fault too???

Yes, I get calls and emails from multiple banks, credit unions, the IRS, Social Security, Medicare, vendors of all sorts. I don't even answer the phone, but they leave their stupid messages anyway. I guess every now and then they hit on somebody like Claude who doesn't have a clue what phishing is and he gives up some kind of personal information.

"It's from my bank honey, they say my account has been compromised." "Well, give them your account number and password, dear, so they can straighten it out for you."

Yes, I get calls and emails from multiple banks, credit unions, the IRS, Social Security, Medicare, vendors of all sorts. I don't even answer the phone, but they leave their stupid messages anyway. I guess every now and then they hit on somebody like Claude who doesn't have a clue what phishing is and he gives up some kind of personal information.

"It's from my bank honey, they say my account has been compromised." "Well, give them your account number and password, dear, so they can straighten it out for you."
My favorites are the ones claiming my account has been compromised at some company where I've never had an account. :rolleyes::biggrin

Just like every other company out there that makes money selling your information, or worse, your location (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) FWIW: I get spam calls from Spectrum scammers on my Google Voice line that only about 4 people in the entire world have (new number on a new area code, never been used before), so they don't even need to know you are a customer of a particular company to try these calls. I am not a current Spectrum customer, and I have never used my Google Voice number on my Spectrum account when I was a customer.

Of course, things like NCTUE make it a lot easier to determine who is a customer of what service.

Why don’t they just pay me the money they owe me and I wouldn’t have to bad mouth them on an Internet forum and everywhere else I go?

I used to help them with their security loop holes all the time when they where in good standing with me and my company.

Why don’t they just pay me the money they owe me and I wouldn’t have to bad mouth them on an Internet forum and everywhere else I go?

I used to help them with their security loop holes all the time when they where in good standing with me and my company.
Have you filed a suit to try and have the courts help you get your money?

I think he said once before he can't find a lawyer that will take the case on contingency. I guess the amount he thinks he's owed isn't worth actually paying a lawyer to file the paperwork.

The problem is I don’t have $100.000 to pay an attorney to go after it.

Charlie will spend a million in litigation to avoid paying a million out.