does EMS radio traffic cause...

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
does EMS radio traffic cause interference :confused:

I am new to OTA,:eek: I have always used cable or satellite to watch the networks. I am moving back to D* but D* does not carry my local CBS affiliate WYMT. :mad: So I decided to do some experimenting and try to receive the station myself. Since the DTV channel 12 (204-210 mhz) is close to the FM band (88-108) I decided to try using my FM network to see if it was possible for me to get the channel YES FM! :eureka

Using my Radio Shack directional FM antenna I can receive the station. The signal is showing in the normal range on my LG TV. But I am having some signal dropouts from just audio to complete signal loss only lasting for a second or 2 to several minutes. I was thinking that this from using the WRONG ANTENNA. :what So I went out today and bought a Radio Shack OTA antenna 80" Boom Length, 32-Element Antenna - RadioShack.com I was going to install it today but 3-5 inches of snow has stopped me doing that today.

I was thinking about the very large tower that is on top of the mountain less than a half mile from my home which is the head-end for my local cable company also serves for a repeater site for several EMS services and FM broadcast station 100.1 FM using that tower.

So my question is:
Does transmissions from EMS or FM broadcast interfere with my DTV reception :yikes

Thanks

The FM antenna isn't as much at fault as the FM transmitter. Money would have been better spent on an FM signal trap to filter out freqs below channel 6. I have trouble with strong winds causing dropouts in my ATSC signals despite being less than 7 miles from any given tv tower. Perhaps your antenna would benefit from a sturdier mount, too.

5 inches of snow on the ground but I still needed to get my OTA installed. I did get the new OTA today and it did help the signal strenght, but I'm still having some audio drop outs. No where near the number dropout as with my test setup. At least now I can get my local news and UK ball games now:yes without having to pay out my a$$tro-dome to my cable co. just to get the one station that DirecTV does not carry :clap

Last edited:
FM Trap

Looks like I will also need a fm trap or a tv amp w/fm trap. I found this while searching the net about my problem at solidsignal.com
from solidsignal.com
"FM trap is especially useful for those with nearby FM transmitters. The high signal strength can swamp your tuner causing you to loose stations completely on a digital tuner. For analog it causes the signal to bleed over on to the other channels. It causes all sorts of interference that shows up as a herring bone pattern or other distortion. Sometimes the FM audio even comes over the channel. "
I am odering this one tonight Winegard FT-3000 FM Trap AC/DV and UHF Passive (FT-3000) | FT-3000 [Winegard] | FT-3000 FM Trap Fixed FM ft3000 it Eliminates FM Interference on Channels 7-13 and since I need DTV channel 12 to be clear this one should work:yes hopefully
Also I'm ordering a new tv amp, since the one I am using is around 12 years old or older I have used with my yagi fm antenna amp for years. So I'm thinking about this one
AntennaCraft 10G212 30 dB High Gain TV/FM Mast-Mounted Signal Amplifier (10G212) | PVDS-21 [AntennaCraft] | Mast Mount Signal Television TV Amp

Man getting this tv infrastructure in place is costly:eek:

Hey, I spend $65 per month to be able to watch TV. :)

:what you are paying what for free Over The Air HD :eek: from your local stations :shocked

dude, my local cable is charging $23 for basic cable with locals and no access to the HD.

surly you mean your total cost for your cable or sat service. I going to be around $70 a month with D* hopefully it gets installed today :yes :bounce and my one FREE OTA station the one that D* does not carry at all for free with my new OTA antenna :yes

I'm all about the FREE.... a legal FREE

That pre-amp you specified has a FM trap built in. 30db is a lot of gain if you are getting the channel with your FM antenna. A fm trap with no amp may be enough, I have not looked at your locations data, so I don't know if a pre-amp is required. A large antenna and a high powered pre-amp may overload your signal. Personally, if getting an amp, I prefer a name brand like Channel Master or Winegard with low noise.

Adding to that, the very high strength of that interfering signal may also overload your preamp. If you need one at all (I doubt you do) consider one like the Winegard HDP-269. It has only a modest 12dB gain, but a very high overload threshold.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/WC-809 _HDP-269.pdf

http://www.winegard.com/offair/preamp.php

You might also contact the EMS that is operating the transmitter causing the interference. They could put you in touch with their technical experts who might have other ideas for you. If they balk, offer to make a contribution...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts