Does the HWS slow down internet service?

I have two Hoppers connected, one with the Sling adapter. My network monitor doesn't show any noticeable bandwidth being used unless streaming a movie.

Not bad for 50/25 service.

And a few moments earlier:

Fios speedtest cropped 140109.png

But I see no way of having the Hopper do a speedtest. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Fios speedtest cropped 140109.jpg
    Fios speedtest cropped 140109.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 105
Nice upload speed. What is the fastest home speed Verizon Fios offers in your area?

At first glance, it appears to be FiOS Quantum 75 Mbps / 35 Mbps Internet.

BUT if you dig down past the cutesy interactive stuff, you find the following packages. I'm a piker. But I'm intrigued that they say I can have an extensive TV package added for only $15 per month. MUST RESIST TEMPTATION.

150/65
300/65
500/100

Hmmm- looks like I could add locals, which would (I think) include the Fairfax County channels for the grand sum of ZERO! And maybe a few more channels too. I'd have to run more coax. But I may look into this. Perhaps their way of weaning me off Dish.

Oh wait! Fine print. I'd have to upgrade to 75/35 for $10/month more first month, rising in two chunks to $25 more per month, with a 2 year commitment. AFTER I win the lottery, sure. Only if I drop Dish, which ain't likely.

At first glance, it appears to be FiOS Quantum 75 Mbps / 35 Mbps Internet.

BUT if you dig down past the cutesy interactive stuff, you find the following packages. I'm a piker. But I'm intrigued that they say I can have an extensive TV package added for only $15 per month. MUST RESIST TEMPTATION.

150/65
300/65
500/100

Hmmm- looks like I could add locals, which would (I think) include the Fairfax County channels for the grand sum of ZERO! And maybe a few more channels too. I'd have to run more coax. But I may look into this. Perhaps their way of weaning me off Dish.

Oh wait! Fine print. I'd have to upgrade to 75/35 for $10/month more first month, rising in two chunks to $25 more per month, with a 2 year commitment. AFTER I win the lottery, sure. Only if I drop Dish, which ain't likely.

I have relatives in Florida that have Verizon Fios TV and internet. They have nice DVRs, but a little behind on the super DVRs like Dish and Direct have. If Verizon got caught up some I think I would be tempted to switch to them. But, here in Illinois it appears Verizon Fios is not coming any time soon. We have ATT Uverse but they don't have Fios to the home yet like Verizon does.

I chose U-verse over Charter because they don't enforce data caps (yet) and plus I had a bad breakup with Charter many years ago so I'm sticking with U-verse (for now.)

I chose U-verse over Charter because they don't enforce data caps (yet) and plus I had a bad breakup with Charter many years ago so I'm sticking with U-verse (for now.)

What is the fastest service Uverse have in your area? I am not sure what it is here in the St Louis area but I think they are catching up with Charter's 100 down / 5 up. I am hearing rumors that Charter might be increasing their service in the future sometime.

What is the fastest service Uverse have in your area? I am not sure what it is here in the St Louis area but I think they are catching up with Charter's 100 down / 5 up. I am hearing rumors that Charter might be increasing their service in the future sometime.

45/6 for now.

I have 25/2 on RCN and have 2 HWSs and 1 Joey since last Spring and haven't had any degrading of my Internet service.

This is my Speedtest result:

3221592640.png

I was having major problems on my new hopper w Sling on WiFi. Skips, pixelation, long pauses, etc. stretched a wire down the hall from router to HWS all works great. I have a crawl space and was planing to run the Ethernet properly, but saw some deals on 802.11AC routers at CES and may try that before I crawl down under.
i have TWC 5 down 1 up for ISP.
Any thoughts on .11ac vs wired performance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts