Dolby Digital 5.1 Issues with D.C. ABC

sdksatellite

Original poster
May 11, 2004
I have an 811 and a Sony (STR-DE895) receiver and I have noticed that I only get a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal for my OTA Fox and Dish channels (TNT-HD, Discovery, etc.). I notice that on ABC (I get the Washington, D.C. channels) that I don't get the 5.1 signal. I am not sure off-hand about NBC and CBS because I don't watch much if any of their HD shows. I love Lost and I noticed last week that all of the MLB games on fox were 5.1 and Lost wasn't. I had read on this forum that Lost was fantastic for sound so I was wondering what the issue could be. Are there OTA Digital channels that show HD shows, but not in 5.1 or is there an issue with the 811 receiving the signal correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since Lost is on again tonight!

Thanks. It is obvious by looking at my receiver that 5.1 does come through on the 811 for other channels, but I just wasn't sure if the station could have that problem where they had the HDTV picture without the 5.1 sound.

WJLA-DT does not have a DD5.1 encoder, so they are not able to transmit DD5.1 audio. WMAR in Baltimore does, so if you can get them, then you'll get ABC's audio in HD.

AVS Forum Wash/Baltimore Thread

Join us over there for updates on the local situation.

BTW: CBS Only does DD5.1 during Live Events such as Sports and Emmys. WB should begin DD5.1 on Nov 7th. NBC supposedly does DD5.1, but neither NBC4 or 11 broadcast.

What timing. The very next day WJLA announces that they will be getting their DD5.1 encoder in the next week or two. Expect to see DD5.1 indicator on soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)