Dolby Digital recordings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xtc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
I have a Dolby Digital DirecTV receiver which is connected to a Dolby Digital Stereo Receiver with an Optical cable. I also have a DVD Recorder that is connected through the Stereo Receiver with an optical cable. My question is this: If I want to record a program thats broadcasted in dolby digital onto my DVD Recorder and retain the digital sound, Is it enough to have this kind of connection or do I need to connect the DirecTV receiver to the DVD Recorder as well??? Please help. Thanks.

Are you sure that your DVD recorder will record a Dolby Digital signal? I didn't think that most of them would record DD signals, just PCM, but then again, I may be wrong.

Tivo records in DD. :D I don't know if the Pioneer Tivo DVD-R units do but I would venture to guesss they do. Odds are you don't want to Tivo though right?

yeah i don't need TiVo. I love my DVD Recorder. It's got a hard drive to record on as well. I'm just trying to find out if I have the sat receiver connected to the DVD Recorder through S-video only, will i still be able to enjoy the digital sound that gets recorded onto a DVD or the hard drive since the DVD Recorder is connected through my Stereo Receiver by toslink optical cable?

xtc said:
yeah i don't need TiVo. I love my DVD Recorder. It's got a hard drive to record on as well. I'm just trying to find out if I have the sat receiver connected to the DVD Recorder through S-video only, will i still be able to enjoy the digital sound that gets recorded onto a DVD or the hard drive since the DVD Recorder is connected through my Stereo Receiver by toslink optical cable?

Based on what you've said here, no, you won't be recording Dolby Digital on your DVD.

well how do i get the dolby digital recorded from the program onto my DVD then? What connection needs to be made?

Does your recorder have an input for a Dolby Digital connection? If it doesn't have it then you aren't going to get a DD DVD. If it does have an input for DD toslink then you should be able to run the toslink cable to your DVD recorder, again assuming that your DVD recorder can actually record a DD audio stream. You haven't mentioned the make/model recorder so it's kind of hard to assist.

xtc said:
I'm just trying to find out if I have the sat receiver connected to the DVD Recorder through S-video only, will i still be able to enjoy the digital sound that gets recorded onto a DVD or the hard drive since the DVD Recorder is connected through my Stereo Receiver by toslink optical cable?

The S-Video input only carries a video signal, no audio. Need to find out if your recorder has a DD input, optical or coaxial. :no

My DVD Recorder is Panasonic DMR-HS2 and yes it does have a Dolby Digital optical input. But thats the only input and that is connected to my stereo receiver. The Satellite receiver will be connected to the DVD Recorder only through S-Video i believe. So you're saying To record the dolby digital sound from the Sat. Receiver to the DVD Recorder that has to be connected through the optical inputs as well??? So I need an optical splitter or something?

Dolby Digital is passed only over the optical or coax audio connection. I was trying to find the manual for your recorder on the net but couldn't and the Panasonic site doesn't list this model anymore. However, I found one site that says it does record Dolby Digital but the also says 2 channel, not 5.1, so I'm not sure if you will get DD 2.0 or DD 5.1. Sorry.

I was looking at my manual and it does say 5.1. My question though is what do I need to do if I want to record a Dolby Digital broadcast from my satellite receiver to my DVD-R. My sat. receiver is connected to my DVD Recorder through S-Video. And my DVD-Recorder is connected to my Stereo Receiver through the optical cable. By having this connection will i get Dolby Digital on the Disc I recorded on? Or do I need to connect a splitter to my DVD Reocorder so I can have the Sat Receiver connected to the DVD Recorder through the Optical cable plus continue having the DVD Recorder connected to the stereo receiver through optical cable?

You're going to need to get the optical output from your DBS receiver to your DVD recorded input. Before spending $'s on some type of splitter why not just move the TOSLINK cable from your receiver to your DVD recorder and do a test to see if it provides the results your expecting.

xtc said:
My question though is what do I need to do if I want to record a Dolby Digital broadcast from my satellite receiver to my DVD-R. My sat. receiver is connected to my DVD Recorder through S-Video. And my DVD-Recorder is connected to my Stereo Receiver through the optical cable.

S-Video only transmits video, no form of audio. My recommendation is to connect the sat receivers optical output to the DVD-R recorder's optical input and then run the DVD-R's optical output to your audio receiver's optical input. When you want to watch the sat receiver, just turn on the DVD-R and voila! Picture and DD! ;)

Does your rxvr have a digital out? If so connect it to recorder & assign it to the appropriate video input.

Incaico said:
S-Video only transmits video, no form of audio. My recommendation is to connect the sat receivers optical output to the DVD-R recorder's optical input and then run the DVD-R's optical output to your audio receiver's optical input. When you want to watch the sat receiver, just turn on the DVD-R and voila! Picture and DD! ;)

right, but there is only 1 optical jack on the back of my DVD Recorder, so i'm gonna use a splitter. I think i understand how to hook it up, I just wanted to know if the sat. receiver and the dvd recorder needed to be hooked up through optical I want to get that digital audio on to the recordable disc. I wasn't sure if this needed to be done. Lets say the Sat. Receiver and the DVD-Recorder are not hooked up through optical cable, just through S-Video and i record a program on disc. Now my DVD Recorder and Stereo ARE connected through optical. Will i get the dolby digital sound when i play back the disc? Or will i only get it if the sat. receiver and the DVD Recorder are connected through optical as well?

xtc said:
Lets say the Sat. Receiver and the DVD-Recorder are not hooked up through optical cable, just through S-Video and i record a program on disc.

No optical, no audio, only video. :no

xtc said:
Now my DVD Recorder and Stereo ARE connected through optical. Will i get the dolby digital sound when i play back the disc?

Not the disc you just recorded since no audio from the sat receiver was hooked up. But you will get audio from other discs that were recorded with the audio hooked up or pre-recorded discs.

xtc said:
Or will i only get it if the sat. receiver and the DVD Recorder are connected through optical as well?

Yes! :yes

checked the panasonic uk web site and found

This model of dvd recorder has only optical out for the playback of multichannel discs.

When I double checked the manual sure enough only records two channel audio on the disc. No 5.1 channel mastering allowed. :(

xtc said:
I was looking at my manual and it does say 5.1. My question though is what do I need to do if I want to record a Dolby Digital broadcast from my satellite receiver to my DVD-R. My sat. receiver is connected to my DVD Recorder through S-Video. And my DVD-Recorder is connected to my Stereo Receiver through the optical cable. By having this connection will i get Dolby Digital on the Disc I recorded on? Or do I need to connect a splitter to my DVD Reocorder so I can have the Sat Receiver connected to the DVD Recorder through the Optical cable plus continue having the DVD Recorder connected to the stereo receiver through optical cable?

You can't record DD5.1 on your DVD recorder period. DD5.1 in a manual refers to playback from prerecorded disc's. Analog audio connected to your recorder will be recorded as DD2.0 on a disc after recorder converted it to digital from analog. There is no recorder on a market that has 5 channel input. Later this year Philips suppose to come out with one. Until then you are out of luck.

xtc said:
My DVD Recorder is Panasonic DMR-HS2 and yes it does have a Dolby Digital optical input. But thats the only input and that is connected to my stereo receiver. The Satellite receiver will be connected to the DVD Recorder only through S-Video i believe. So you're saying To record the dolby digital sound from the Sat. Receiver to the DVD Recorder that has to be connected through the optical inputs as well??? So I need an optical splitter or something?

It is Dolby Digital output not input on a back of your HS2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)