Downgrade from HD Package on HR-23?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ssmaniac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
A friend recently was upgraded to HR-23 (It's a lease, but D* is crediting her bill every month for the lease fee), and D* took her old leased box back. She has decided they don't want to pay the $10 for HD, and wants to have SD only. Directv told her she would need to send the box back, and that the HR-23 would not work with SD only. This makes no sense to me, but I've been with E* the past 5-6 years, so what do I know....

Can someone help me understand why the HR23 can't be used for SD only? My guess is that it IS possible to use HR-23 for SD only, but D* will charge a fee for using the HD box for SD-only service, making it a wash...

If it is necessary to swap out the HR-23 for a non-HD DVR, can she expect any downgrade fees on top of the hassle of switching boxes? Will D* likely swap the box at no charge, and if so, should she expect a new 24 month commitment?

Thanks in advance! I don't care what everyone over in the E* forums say about you guys, I'm sure you will be helpful! :angel:

It can work Just fine with SD
But Directv's lease terms clearly state if you have HD DVR, You Must maintain these services for the length of the commitment.

DIRECTV: Equipment Lease Addendum

Within 30 days of provision of DIRECTV equipment to you, or on the date that the professional installer has installed or is prepared to install your DIRECTV equipment, whichever is sooner, you agree to activate each and every DIRECTV Receiver ordered by you or provided to you with any DIRECTV® base programming package (valued at $29.99 per mo. or above); Jadeworld®; or, any qualifying international service bundle, which bundle shall include either the DIRECTV® BASIC programming package (valued at $15.99 per mo.) or the DIRECTV PREFERRED CHOICE? programming package (valued at $38.99 per mo.) together with any WorldDirect? international-language service. DVR service activation ($7/mo.) required for DVR leases; HD Access fee ($10/mo.) required for HD Receiver leases; and, both DVR service and HD Access fee payment required for HD DVR leases.

PROGRAMMING TERM.

For a new DIRECTV customer, The programming package(s) must be maintained for a period of not less than twenty-four (24) consecutive months. For a current DIRECTV customer, the programming package(s) must be maintained for a period of not less than (a) twelve (12) consecutive months for accounts with only standard receiver(s), or (b) twenty-four (24) consecutive months for accounts with advanced product(s)/receiver(s) (DVR, HD, or HD DVR, including additional DIRECTV receiver(s)). After you have fulfilled the agreement to the required programming package(s), you are not obliged to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Current DIRECTV customers may activate additional receivers with thier existing DIRECTV programming package. THIS AGREEMENT TO MAINTAIN PROGRAMMING IS SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT YOU MAY HAVE MADE WITH DIRECTV AND IS FULLY ENFORCEABLE UNDER THESE TERMS.

She has decided they don't want to pay the $10 for HD, and wants to have SD only.

Unless it's all about the money I couldn't imagine watching anything in SD after previous views of HD content whether they are sports or movies or just the local news.

Unless it's all about the money I couldn't imagine watching anything in SD after previous views of HD content whether they are sports or movies or just the local news.

I always get a chuckle out of comments like this.. :haha

As if SD is soooooo awful you just can't bear to ever, ever watch anything in SD for the rest of your life.

I always get a chuckle out of comments like this.. :haha

As if SD is soooooo awful you just can't bear to ever, ever watch anything in SD for the rest of your life.

Glad I could make you chuckle. I won't watch anything in SD because it is sooo awful & even up-convert 480p (which isn't really that bad) before watching. Different definitions for different folks.

I guess that statement wasn't entirely accurate as some of my oldies still aren't available in HD & having seen some NC-17+ in HD I'm more than content with most of the Playboy channel shows in SD. Sorry to be so crude with my original post but love things like The Wizard of Oz in HD & Casablanca in Blue Ray.

It can work Just fine with SD
But Directv's lease terms clearly state if you have HD DVR, You Must maintain these services for the length of the commitment.

May be, but you DO realize that this doesn't apply to MPEG4 markets, either - since they require all MPEG4 receivers to get any locals. Obviously, the terms you point out don't make ANY mention of this either, so frankly, I put some of these terms on the same level where D* states they require a phone connection, but basically have all but NOT enforced it.

I'm sure there are other ways to cut back on costs. Like cutting back on the programming level. Maybe they are also paying for the HD Extra pack, which can be removed.

May be, but you DO realize that this doesn't apply to MPEG4 markets, either - since they require all MPEG4 receivers to get any locals. Obviously, the terms you point out don't make ANY mention of this either, so frankly, I put some of these terms on the same level where D* states they require a phone connection, but basically have all but NOT enforced it.
Maybe D* wouldn't get sued by customers so much if they clearly stated their rules.
These particular rules are enforced ,you have a DVR you must maintain DVR service.
The rules I listed are in Writing, the stuff your talking about is "hear say"
There is no mention of your receiver needing a landbased phone line connected in the Lease Agreement.

""THIS AGREEMENT TO MAINTAIN PROGRAMMING IS SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT YOU MAY HAVE MADE WITH DIRECTV AND IS FULLY ENFORCEABLE UNDER THESE TERMS.""

Here's your land based phone line clause.

Phone Connections.
For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, each of your receivers must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your receivers are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can "mirror" programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your receivers. If we detect that any receiver is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the receiver is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the receiver or charge you the full programming subscription price for the receiver.

HD is required so is DVR service fee if you have a any HD or DVR or HDDVR box. It is non negotable.

we would tak the hr23 back but then she would have to pay another fee for another box.

Best thing I can say is that if she feels the extra 10 is just going to kill her then have her call retentions and use the i quit card ... they will probably throw a free hd at her for 6 months or a year.

For only $10 over the SD DVR, I wouldn't complain.

You might not, but plenty of others do. I seen customers get silly demands like this all the time.

I have the stance once they leave billing ot go to retentions all bets are off and its non of my business if retentions caves in.

You might not, but plenty of others do. I seen customers get silly demands like this all the time.

I have the stance once they leave billing ot go to retentions all bets are off and its non of my business if retentions caves in.
People need to research and read the fine print for a change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)