Draytek Routers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iwc5893

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
The desert of WA, zip code EIEIO
Well, the home router (Netgear) finally bit the dust the other day, so I went shopping online for a replacement.

While expensive, I'm seriously considering getting a DrayTek Vigor2930n Dual Wan Wireless N router. (::: DrayTek Corp - Your reliable networking solutions partner :::).

Does anyone here have any experience with this router or DrayTek in general, and if so, what are your impressions of them.

Never heard of them. Looked them up, they appear to not have much of a presence outside of Taiwan. They may or may not work well, that I do not know, but I would be leery of buying something without much of an US presence just in case I had support issues.

Do you really need 2 independent WAN ports?
Does it support SSL VPN from Cisco (doubt it very much)? Do you need 30 tunnels?

If yes on any of them, it sounds like a interesting option to try.

If not, why not get a 160N Linksys/Cisco for $50, install DD-WRT and be done with it...

Diogen.

Do you really need 2 independent WAN ports?

Yes, I do for work reasons. One for my fiber and one for my WISP connection. This was about the only manufacturer that I found that had a dual WAN wireless router.

I don't know about the VPN/Cisco aspects, but I don't use VPN into my home network anyway. All my VPN stuff is outbound only.

New dual WAN boxes from Cisco are petty expensive ($1000+ category), of course they are meant for branch offices with 50 users with telephone services too. You can get used ones much cheaper, but of course they would be used.

The draytek look a lot less expensive.

I remember trying a Symantec hardware box with 2 WAN ports some 5+ years ago.
The automatic failover option never worked properly. And I believe this is the main attraction of this sort of devices.
I heard a similar story about some other brands. Eventually people either took the gamble with manual switchover or went with Cisco/Juniper/Nortel boxes. One was using a Linux box as a router and claiming success.

Diogen.

I still have a dual wan box in my basement, I can't remember the name off the top of my head. What I liked most about it was the firewall controls. Auto failover worked awesome when I tested it. tried shotgunning it, but my 2 wan connections where not even close to equal in speeds so that didn't work so well. What I did end up doing was routing certain traffic to different ISP's if both WAN's were up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)